ST1 Platinum

Ha! Thanks Rav, It's been a fun journey so far. I make sure I get enough protein with powders and bars at both work and home. I'll be uploading a video later this afternoon with my BPM on it. I calculated that I burn about 1000cal each way give or take.

nice nice. What a pretty country. Looks like you don't meet a lot of commuters on the way. How straight is your line on a map? Can you improve further with shortcuts to your ride?

I uploaded a new vid of me heading to work. I added some tunes so it's not soooooo boring. I'm still working on my Garming Virb Elite to make the best vid.... bear with me!

Great stuff, James.
Quick question, could you please elucidate on the app/software used to record the rides, BPM, distance etc?

Well after I looked up elucidate, I know what your talking about!
It's all part of the Garmin Virb Elite software. It has it's own editing software that's really easy to use. I have a chest heart rate monitor that connects to the Virb via software called Ant+ I pick and choose which gauges are shown. I can add more sensors (cadence, temp etc) if I wanted to get really crazy.
It's a garmin so that's how it is able to track my speed and whereabouts.
Hope that's a lucid explanation!

nice nice. What a pretty country. Looks like you don't meet a lot of commuters on the way. How straight is your line on a map? Can you improve further with shortcuts to your ride?

It's pretty straight. I'll upload the map for my next video... If I can figure out how! I don't think there's a more direct route other than taking the freeway... Which I don't want to do!

just get a printscreen out of your app and then crop it in paint and save it as jpg. Unless you are on a MAC in which case I have no idea ;-)

just get a printscreen out of your app and then crop it in paint and save it as jpg. Unless you are on a MAC in which case I have no idea ;-)

I do have a Mac. My Virb software displays it and tracks me, I just need to figure out how to attach it to the video

Awesome camera, I haven't heard of the Virb before but it might be in my future now... I've been using GoPro cams with special wind guards that I sort of built into the case. How does your camera do with wind James? How is the audio and the stabilization feature they talk about?

ps. to get a screen capture on a Mac use Command (Apple) + Shift + 4 and you'll see a little cross with pixel coordinates, just click, drag and release to capture a portion of your screen. You can also use Command (Apple) + Shift + 3 to take a full screen capture without the dragging thing.

I uploaded a new vid of me heading to work. I added some tunes so it's not soooooo boring. I'm still working on my Garming Virb Elite to make the best vid.... bear with me!

Cool.. Is this Garmin hardware, or could is there a phone app?

Awesome camera, I haven't heard of the Virb before but it might be in my future now... I've been using GoPro cams with special wind guards that I sort of built into the case. How does your camera do with wind James? How is the audio and the stabilization feature they talk about?

ps. to get a screen capture on a Mac use Command (Apple) + Shift + 4 and you'll see a little cross with pixel coordinates, just click, drag and release to capture a portion of your screen. You can also use Command (Apple) + Shift + 3 to take a full screen capture without the dragging thing.

Hi Court,

There is a small mic wind cover (which I don't own yet) so I can speak to how well it works. I can say that the stabilization features work quite well!

Got my first flat today!! It suuuuuuuucked. Rear wheel went super soft pretty quick. So I get it home and put it up and the stand, pull off the wheel (which if you have the tools actually isn't that hard) and then I remembered I have Schwalbe goo in my tube!! Haha, all I had to do was pump my tire back up and keep the cut low. The air forced some of the solution out but it dried quickly and is holding pressure just fine! So I wrestled the tire back on and just got back from a test run... Seems to be good!

James, please xsplain ;-)

is this goo you speak of something you added afterwards or did it come with the platinum out of the factory?

how does it work?

Got my first flat today!! It suuuuuuuucked. Rear wheel went super soft pretty quick. So I get it home and put it up and the stand, pull off the wheel (which if you have the tools actually isn't that hard) and then I remembered I have Schwalbe goo in my tube!! Haha, all I had to do was pump my tire back up and keep the cut low. The air forced some of the solution out but it dried quickly and is holding pressure just fine! So I wrestled the tire back on and just got back from a test run... Seems to be good!
Amen to that. I've had two flats so far and it is not fun fixing. I bring all the necessary tools with me, so I can do it on the road but its a pain in the a$$. Stromer should have made this part easier. You have 3/4" bolts, two lock washers on both sides, zip ties, a tapered spacer on one side, and that little 1/2" spacer on the other side (that always falls off and rolls away on the ground - I had to chase that damn thing as it rolled down the sidewalk). Then trying to line everything up and get the keyed axle back on is tricky.

The first flat was due to a large piece of glass that lodged itself in the tire and eventually popped the tube. The second flat was a roofing nail that nothing would have prevented.

I've since put Mr Tuffy's tire liners in. For me, I've had the most success with tire liners rather than slime but a combination of both would probably be the best option. It does suuuuuuck changing tubes on the Stromer

James, please xsplain ;-)

is this goo you speak of something you added afterwards or did it come with the platinum out of the factory?

how does it work?

Hi Brambor,

I installed it when I bought the bike. You put the Schwalbe Doc Blue Sealant in when the tire is half full and then pump up the tires. Once you get a puncture, as long as it's not a huge gash or anything it will just seal it up!! Works pretty well

http://www.competitivecyclist.com/schwalbe-doc-blue-tire-tube-sealant

Cheers!

Amen to that. I've had two flats so far and it is not fun fixing. I bring all the necessary tools with me, so I can do it on the road but its a pain in the a$$. Stromer should have made this part easier. You have 3/4" bolts, two lock washers on both sides, zip ties, a tapered spacer on one side, and that little 1/2" spacer on the other side (that always falls off and rolls away on the ground - I had to chase that damn thing as it rolled down the sidewalk). Then trying to line everything up and get the keyed axle back on is tricky.

The first flat was due to a large piece of glass that lodged itself in the tire and eventually popped the tube. The second flat was a roofing nail that nothing would have prevented.

I've since put Mr Tuffy's tire liners in. For me, I've had the most success with tire liners rather than slime but a combination of both would probably be the best option. It does suuuuuuck changing tubes on the Stromer

Yeah I was thinking the same thing. There has to be an easier way!!!

Back