ST1 Elite Model Comparisons - Mountain Motor vs S-Pedelec Power 48

Nic

We recently introduced Stromer #2 & #3 to our family. Our first Elite Sport with the mountain motor is still perfect at 11,000kms.

Stromer #2: 2018 Elite Sport Mountain Motor M32*, Blue battery, ridden by 220 lb person

Stromer #3: 2018 Elite Comfort S-Pedelec with Power 48 Motor, blue battery, ridden by 135lb person

*Stromer told me M33 and M32 motors are the same, they just switched factories. Same power output on both the M33 and M32.
Mountain motor: more torque for the hills
Power 48 motor: less torque on hills but much faster on the flat.

However, I did change the sensor sensitivity #1004 to 90 on both of them so they're faster out of the gate.

We tested them both on some seriously steep mountain hills on power mode.

The Mountain motor causes the bike to get up to speed much faster because of the torque. You definitely get that flying feeling right off the bat.
The Power 48 goes at a much more measured pace to get up to speed.

On VERY steep hills, the Power 48 with a 135lb person is almost equal to the Mountain Motor performance with a 220lb person.
Going up an extremely steep incline, I had to stand up to pedal with the Power 48 about 3 pedal strokes before my 220 lb husband with his mountain motor.

We switched bikes, I took the mountain motor sport and flew up the hill with very little effort - no standing up required at all and I was barely putting in any power to my pedaling. My husband, on the other hand, put in a LOT of effort to get up with the Power 48. He had to stand up almost the whole way, but he did make it.

On flat, the Power 48 can really go fast! The mountain motor sport with the codes adjusted can keep up pretty well, considering its rider is 90lbs heavier. My husband was also likely pedaling harder than I was.

The comfort also has an extremely upright position and so it is harder to get the power strokes in on it. I wish it had the same geometry as the sport but with a step through frame. The comfort is 2-3" higher at the handle bars than the sport.

So, if you are concerned about hill performance - the Power 48 with a lighter person performs almost as well as the mountain motor with a heavier person on steep up hills.

Last edited:
Great post, Nic!

I wish there was a way to unleash the full power of the ST2 motor. I usually ride between 22 and 26 MPH, but sometimes I wish the bike wouldn't cut off at 30. I live in a small town with lots of empty rural roads. It would be great to really push it on occasion.

Back