Specialized’s ultra-light 120-mile range e-bike - Turbo Vado SL

Our motivations for choosing the Vado SL are quite similar (substitute BART for the London Underground) and our findings are similar, too. Even though I opted for the 4.0, I choked on the price tag a bit, too (LOL).

Regarding the fenders--my bike is the "EQ" model, so it came equipped with them. Though I get only three months per year where there would be any opportunity for them to even be useful due to rain, I do find they have performed well in instances of unexpected wet streets or puddles due to street cleaning. My only complaint is that they are a tad aggressive in their wheel coverage. For instance, in even dropping off a city curb, I always scrape the trailing edge of the front fender, or in popping the bike up on its back wheel to walk it through a narrow space, the back fender scrapes earlier than I'd prefer.Minor annoyances for such an effective design, I admit.

I also believe there are too many gears--and mine has fewer than yours. Even so, after a little time, I'm sure you will adjust your shifting and riding habits as I have, to maximize your SL's boost. Some experimentation with Mission Control will yield amazing results, too. It took me about a week over lots of different terrain and gearing to tune my settings the way I like them. Once it's dialed in, it's like a new bike all over again!

As to the saddle--I can't recommend this one enough: https://selleanatomica.com/products/h2-next-generation-saddle

It's expensive and not exactly light, but its performance is in line with your bike's, which is to say, it's excellent. The build and materials quality are excellent and the style and comfort are fitting of this bike's beautiful design. It's Brooks-style in its design and function, but much more sporty and sleek in its form.
You're in the bay area... hahah! I live in Oakland. I'm in SF all the time!!! Love hearing that other people have a similar bike to mine.

Hi. I test road a Vado SL 4.0 EQ a few days ago and am really conflicted. I want to like the SL because of its weight (which makes it easier to transport) and ability to ride it without drag without assist if necessary. But the ride was crazy harsh on the city streets we tried it on. My wife called it the worst experience of any bike she's ever ridden on. We vibrated with every imperfection on the road. To be clear, we've never been road bike people -- we've mostly ridden essentially hybrid bikes, or old rigid frame mountain bikes with hybrid tires (1990's era Raleigh M-20's).

I'm looking to get this for exercise and recreational riding, mostly on roads but also sometimes gravel or dirt trails (not downhill single track). I'm on the fence about getting the SL and then modding it with seat post and handlebar stem suspension and a big saddle seat, or just moving on from the SL and getting a regular Vado or Como. My worry is whether this will really make a profound difference on the ride or just a little difference which wouldn't be enough.

I also wonder if it really comes down to the tires. I've always had tires at least as thick as the regular Vado and may be used to them absorbing the road more. I see you can get thicker tires for the SL but it seems like you then have to ditch your fenders, rack and lose the rear LED taillight, or get the non-EQ version but then have a wire for the seat-mounted taillight that wouldn't work with the mod seat posts and saddles.

Thoughts? I'd don't mind having someone who loves the SL honestly tell me that it's not the right bike for me if that's the case given my circumstances. But if it really is possible to profoundly change the feel of the ride on the SL I'd be happy to consider it.

Thanks.

I had the same conundrum when I bought my Vado 4 SL. I wanted to shock absorption of the model 5 EQ, but couldn’t justify extra cost. I’ve been riding mine since May on similar paths, though with less off pavement. There are occasions when I wish for better seat comfort and might get a suspension seat post of some sort at Some point.

Though the handlebars aren’t cushioned, that hasn’t bothered me so far. Maybe because I pay attention to arm and shoulder flex while I’ve never figured out butt flex other than standing on the pedals.

BTW, is there a way to turn off the lights on the SL 4.0 EQ (that doesn't have the control display)? The LBS techs couldn't figure it out. Seemed to come on automatically when the battery was on and didn't response to button pushes the same way it does on the regular Vados.

You have identified one of the many “future directions“ for updates. You can’t turn off the lights nor change it to flashing. So, no. You can’t turn the lights off.

Hi. I test road a Vado SL 4.0 EQ a few days ago and am really conflicted. I want to like the SL because of its weight (which makes it easier to transport) and ability to ride it without drag without assist if necessary. But the ride was crazy harsh on the city streets we tried it on. My wife called it the worst experience of any bike she's ever ridden on. We vibrated with every imperfection on the road. To be clear, we've never been road bike people -- we've mostly ridden essentially hybrid bikes, or old rigid frame mountain bikes with hybrid tires (1990's era Raleigh M-20's).
I'm looking to get this for exercise and recreational riding, mostly on roads but also sometimes gravel or dirt trails (not downhill single track). I'm on the fence about getting the SL and then modding it with seat post and handlebar stem suspension and a big saddle seat, or just moving on from the SL and getting a regular Vado or Como. My worry is whether this will really make a profound difference on the ride or just a little difference which wouldn't be enough.
I also wonder if it really comes down to the tires. I've always had tires at least as thick as the regular Vado and may be used to them absorbing the road more. I see you can get thicker tires for the SL but it seems like you then have to ditch your fenders, rack and lose the rear LED taillight, or get the non-EQ version but then have a wire for the seat-mounted taillight that wouldn't work with the mod seat posts and saddles. Thoughts? I'd don't mind having someone who loves the SL honestly tell me that it's not the right bike for me if that's the case given my circumstances. But if it really is possible to profoundly change the feel of the ride on the SL I'd be happy to consider it.

Thanks.

If you like the bike, but not the ride... consider adding a suspension seat post and stem along with wider tires for comfort.

I also wonder if it really comes down to the tires. I've always had tires at least as thick as the regular Vado and may be used to them absorbing the road more. I see you can get thicker tires for the SL but it seems like you then have to ditch your fenders, rack and lose the rear LED taillight, or get the non-EQ version but then have a wire for the seat-mounted taillight that wouldn't work with the mod seat posts and saddles.

Thoughts? I'd don't mind having someone who loves the SL honestly tell me that it's not the right bike for me if that's the case given my circumstances. But if it really is possible to profoundly change the feel of the ride on the SL I'd be happy to consider it.

Thanks.
I was afraid those thin tires would be harsh on this. Thanks for confirming. I can tolerate it on most roads. However, you should probably switch the tires out. I think this frame maybe able to handle wider tires. I have the turbo creo sl comp carbon evo. That is their gravel version of this bike. I am guessing you should switch to a gravel tire thats wider so it handles the bumps and street debris better. That would probably solve the issues you are having.

Thanks.
My understanding is that a 700 x 42 mm tire will fit on the Vado SL, but that's not much different than the stock 38. If you go to 650b wheels then I believe a 650 x 47 mm will fit and likely a 50 mm will fit. Whether or not that would make it acceptable to you and your wife is only a question the two of you can answer. I ride both off-road and road, but I have no issues with riding 23 mm tires on my carbon road bike and I've done light gravel in stretches. I am fine with it, but understand many would not.

My guess is that you might be better candidates for something like the Giant Thrive E+ (wife) and the Giant Fastroad for yourself. These bikes come with 27.5 (or 650b) x 2.4" wide tires. I would think that's plenty wide and lots of volume to take care of road chatter. The Giant is cheaper, though it does weigh a fair bit more. I believe it's around 48 lbs or so.

My understanding is that a 700 x 42 mm tire will fit on the Vado SL, but that's not much different than the stock 38. If you go to 650b wheels then I believe a 650 x 47 mm will fit and likely a 50 mm will fit. Whether or not that would make it acceptable to you and your wife is only a question the two of you can answer. I ride both off-road and road, but I have no issues with riding 23 mm tires on my carbon road bike and I've done light gravel in stretches. I am fine with it, but understand many would not.

My guess is that you might be better candidates for something like the Giant Thrive E+ (wife) and the Giant Fastroad for yourself. These bikes come with 27.5 (or 650b) x 2.4" wide tires. I would think that's plenty wide and lots of volume to take care of road chatter. The Giant is cheaper, though it does weigh a fair bit more. I believe it's around 48 lbs or so.

Thanks.

I wish my wife or I could answer that, as you say, but we have no point of reference and no ability to test that on the bike. Do wider tires make a little or big difference usually on ride vibration?

On the Giant bikes, once you're up in that weight class, what's the benefit of those bikes over the regular Vado or Como which are a similar weight? The Como is right there (high 40's) and the Vado maybe 5 lbs. more.

My other hesitation on counting on a tire changing fixing the SL is it seems pretty invasive. I either have to get an EQ model (which are easier to get around here) and then essentially trash all the things that justified that upgrade (fenders, rack, which mounts to the custom fenders, and the fender-mounted rear LED light), or I have to wait for an non-EQ which is already missing those things but then the rear LED light is custom mounted to the seat which will interfere with modifying the seat and seat post with a suspension post, etc. Unless I'm missing something about how it can be done without all that, seems like major surgery and I'm left without any of those features.

I don’t own the Turbo Vado SL (considering one) but I can tell you that a suspension seat post like the Kinect will make a massive difference. I basically can’t ride my current e-bike (Cross Current) with a standard rigid seat post as the ride is overly harsh especially once you start going faster. I’m not sure how wide of a tire the Vado will fit but I run wider 50mm tires (my bike was 45mm stock) at reasonable pressures (25-30psi) and that helps a bit too.

Last edited:
I don’t own the Turbo Vado SL (considering one) but I can tell you that a suspension seat post like the Kinect will make a massive difference. I basically can’t ride my current e-bike (Cross Current) with a standard rigid seat post as the ride is overly harsh especially once you start going faster. I’m not sure how wide of a tire the Vado will fit but I run wider 50mm tires (my bike was 45mm stock) at reasonable pressures (25-30psi) and that helps too.

Thanks for the feedback on how big a difference the seat suspension makes.

The SL starts with 700x38's. You can switch to either a 700x42 or a 650x47. However, doing either of those other sizes appears to be incompatible with the included fender, rack (which requires the custom fender for its mount) and the LED taillight. I haven't heard from anyone who actually has made that swap yet. 50mm tires would be a world of difference from the 38's, based on my experience with also trying the Turbo Como.

Thanks for the feedback on how big a difference the seat suspension makes.

The SL starts with 700x38's. You can switch to either a 700x42 or a 650x47. However, doing either of those other sizes appears to be incompatible with the included fender, rack (which requires the custom fender for its mount) and the LED taillight. I haven't heard from anyone who actually has made that swap yet. 50mm tires would be a world of difference from the 38's, based on my experience with also trying the Turbo Como.
For some reason I thought there was a Vado SL model that didn't have fenders?

For some reason I thought there was a Vado SL model that didn't have fenders?

yes, that's true. Both the 4 and the 5 have a non-EQ version that is missing the fenders, rack, and the kick-stand. It's easy to get the kick stand. The one trade off is the rear LED light is mounted to the seat with wiring down the seat post. So if you go this way you you'll probably have to give up that light if you modify with a suspension seat post (unless someone has a good hack they want to share).

If I got the non-EQ version of the SL and swapped out the tires with 650x47's presumably I would need to change the wheels too? If so, is it easy to get ones that are comparable to wha's included on the bike and the same color etc.? What 650x47's would people recommend? And are there fenders or racks that would work in that configuration?

I test rode the Vado SL. It looks like the fork and rear stays have clearance for 45-50mm tires. The fenders might not work as well in the wet but it looks like you could get the tires to clear everything.

yes, that's true. Both the 4 and the 5 have a non-EQ version that is missing the fenders, rack, and the kick-stand. It's easy to get the kick stand. The one trade off is the rear LED light is mounted to the seat with wiring down the seat post. So if you go this way you you'll probably have to give up that light if you modify with a suspension seat post (unless someone has a good hack they want to share).
Just buy a battery a battery operated flashing light or two and mount them where ever . I put one on a topeak rack.

I don’t own the Turbo Vado SL (considering one) but I can tell you that a suspension seat post like the Kinect will make a massive difference. I basically can’t ride my current e-bike (Cross Current) with a standard rigid seat post as the ride is overly harsh especially once you start going faster. I’m not sure how wide of a tire the Vado will fit but I run wider 50mm tires (my bike was 45mm stock) at reasonable pressures (25-30psi) and that helps a bit too.

In complete agreement with Dunbar. Suspension seat post is the way to go.
When I first got my 2018 Vado 6.0 I thought the ride was going to shake me apart.
Got the Cirrus Kinect and it made a HUGE difference. No bumps now!
Other members have Thudbusters and Suntours.

Back