Specialized’s ultra-light 120-mile range e-bike - Turbo Vado SL

any idea how i could order the fenders and rack that comes in the EQ? I live in Canada and we only had the regular one for sale
As far as I can tell, Specialized isn’t selling the fenders and racks separately at the moment. I was at my LBS yesterday, getting a firmware update on my Vado SL, and saw Bontrager fenders that would probably work. Your dealer my have a rack that looks good and will work for you.

We were talking about the non EQ model of the SL and I was told that the Specialized kickstands were currently on back order. Bike stock and the supply chain are definitely challenged for the near term.

If my Vado hadn't been stolen, I would still be riding it without a single thought of regret about its purchase, even in the face of the SL. There's plenty to love about both iterations and I do love both bikes. My Vado 4.0 was a beast--very smooth and a competent commuter over rough city streets. I considered the speed and power to mix in traffic with minimal effort an added safety feature. I simply wished for a better recreational cycling experience.

The SL requires more leg work to produce the same return on my commute. On paper, its output is half the Vado's. In my experience, it feels more like 90%, once you learn the nuances of maximizing a machine that's part human, part electric power (regardless of the ratios and multiple other contributing forces). It merely flips the coin the other way in recreational cycling, as the more powerful Vado was probably 90% the cycling experience of the light and nimble SL.

Enjoy your bike! I'm a big fan and advocate of all Vados.
I have found your assessments of the Vado SL to be exactly what I have experienced over the first few days of owning a Vado 4.0 SL EQ. Your posts have been very insightful. I have compared several exercise routes that I have taken with my analog road bike with the Vado and found that I averaged about 4 to 5 mph faster on the Vado. The SL rides and handles so much like an analog bike.

I am curious as to what your experience has been riding your SL vs your preciously owned Vado on the same routes with respect to battery usage and speed if you have any data.

Nope and they have been less then helpful when I was telling them about a creek I was hearing which turned out to be from sand that got into the seat tube after riding in the rain. They told me those skus were not available and when I look at the specialized Canada website I don’t see any of the parts listed as well

Since you are likely to be riding in real rain you may be better off with the aftermarket fenders anyway. The Specialized fenders lean a little more towards style than what someone who doesn't have a team car following them with warm clothes and hot drinks would like to use. This is from my experience commuting with the older Turbo S and Specialized fenders. They both were a little short but I was able to add a mud flap to the front to keep my feet dry and I assumed there would not be anyone following me to get the spray from the rear tire. I do have the Vado 5.0 SL EQ on order but I won't be commuting in the weather with it.

(For those unfamiliar with frequent riding in the rain with other people, usually fenders with mud flaps are required or you will be assigned to the rear.)

I have found your assessments of the Vado SL to be exactly what I have experienced over the first few days of owning a Vado 4.0 SL EQ. Your posts have been very insightful. I have compared several exercise routes that I have taken with my analog road bike with the Vado and found that I averaged about 4 to 5 mph faster on the Vado. The SL rides and handles so much like an analog bike.

I am curious as to what your experience has been riding your SL vs your preciously owned Vado on the same routes with respect to battery usage and speed if you have any data.

mare you in the US with the speed limit at 42km, if so what has been your average speeds on flats?

mare you in the US with the speed limit at 42km, if so what has been your average speeds on flats?
On the Vado SL 4.0, in the early morning with little to no wind I can sustain 24/25 km with no power assist and about 30 km in Eco mode set at 35-35 in Mission Control. On the Turbo Vado 4.0, I just pedal easy on a flat without any power and in Eco mode easily sustain 33 km in Eco on a flat. Using Sport or Turbo modes, those numbers jump quite a bit but drain the battery at a correspondingly faster rate.

As far as I can tell, Specialized isn’t selling the fenders and racks separately at the moment. I was at my LBS yesterday, getting a firmware update on my Vado SL, and saw Bontrager fenders that would probably work. Your dealer my have a rack that looks good and will work for you.

We were talking about the non EQ model of the SL and I was told that the Specialized kickstands were currently on back order. Bike stock and the supply chain are definitely challenged for the near term.

I was chatting with LBS about potentially getting a non-EQ and having them install the fenders, etc to make it the EQ with a different color scheme. Here are the part numbers they sent me for each component:

98917-5015 - Fender
48119-1400 - Head Unit
9892-5025 - Rack

Hope this helps!

I was chatting with LBS about potentially getting a non-EQ and having them install the fenders, etc to make it the EQ with a different color scheme. Here are the part numbers they sent me for each component:

98917-5015 - Fender
48119-1400 - Head Unit
9892-5025 - Rack

Hope this helps!

Thanks for this info - did they have any info on the kickstand? I have a non-EQ 5.0 and i can't find the kickstand they use on the EQ models.

Thanks for this info - did they have any info on the kickstand? I have a non-EQ 5.0 and i can't find the kickstand they use on the EQ models.

LBS did not mention the kickstand. Does the 4.0 EQ come with one? I was expecting to add one after market....

LBS did not mention the kickstand. Does the 4.0 EQ come with one? I was expecting to add one after market....

Yes check out the 4.0 EQ video review on this site - the kickstand looks like it mounts to the backside of the frame. Don't see it on Specialized's website.

I have mostly seat-of-the-pants comparisons in that regard, with no real data to accurately answer your question. I will say that, outside a couple of times trying it out, I NEVER rode my standard Vado without assist. It just wasn't pleasant. The couple of times I tried to do it (over about a mile of flats each time) not only did I experience noticeable drag in pedaling (it felt like cranking down the resistance on a stationary bike), but I also believe (based on my TCD data) that my battery continued to drain, even when I had the bike off and was pedaling unassisted.

Because of this, I didn't experiment with it much beyond those couple of times and resigned myself to always riding the Vado with some assist in SF's frequently changing elevations. That is not the case with the SL. I frequently ride with no assist and almost never ride with Turbo, except on the steepest climbs or mixing in heavy city traffic.

As such, by my estimate, I get as much as 30-40% more range on the SL. Again, that's not based on hard data, it's based on the number of times it's been necessary to recharge after covering my same commute route.

That said, the Vado was faster. It was quicker off the line in traffic, too, which is safer for city riding, where no bike lane is present. The SL is more maneuverable, though, and handles more predictably. It's also easier to bunny-hop over streetcar tracks or up curbs, when necessary. The SL is the better road/commuter, while the Vado has the edge as a gravel bike.

There are a few street conditions in my area that give the SL a pretty good shaking, but were barely noticeable on the big Vado. With its longer wheelbase, heavier frame, big suspension forks and more powerful motor, the Vado would speed right through... I hate to say it, but almost like a motorcycle. It's an awesome ebike -- to me, one of the best all-around -- but in my case, I felt like it provided too much boost in every situation where I wanted it to be a bicycle, or at least a lightly assisted bicycle. IMO, the Vado is designed to be primary transportation--a pure car replacement--and it serves this function well. It's a bit power-hungry with regard to the battery usage, though.

The SL is a bicycle through and through. The joy of cycling is there. The convenience of an Ebike is there. It's not as fast as the regular Vado, but it's only a step slower. For riders who know what they're doing, it's equal to the Vado on most elevation changes. And the greater effort required to climb the steepest hills or maintain speeds in the upper 20s is exactly what I wanted in an Ebike.

Last edited:
Thank you for the assessment.
I have mostly seat-of-the-pants comparisons in that regard, with no real data to accurately answer your question. I will say that, outside a couple of times trying it out, I NEVER rode my standard Vado without assist. It just wasn't pleasant. The couple of times I tried to do it (over about a mile of flats each time) not only did I experience noticeable drag in pedaling (it felt like cranking down the resistance on a stationary bike), but I also believe (based on my TCD data) that my battery continued to drain, even when I had the bike off and was pedaling unassisted.

Because of this, I didn't experiment with it much beyond those couple of times and resigned myself to always riding the Vado with some assist in SF's frequently changing elevations. That is not the case with the SL. I frequently ride with no assist and almost never ride with Turbo, except on the steepest climbs or mixing in heavy city traffic.

As such, by my estimate, I get as much as 30-40% more range on the SL. Again, that's not based on hard data, it's based on the number of times it's been necessary to recharge after covering my same commute route.

That said, the Vado was faster. It was quicker off the line in traffic, too, which is safer for city riding, where no bike lane is present. The SL is more maneuverable, though, and handles more predictably. It's also easier to bunny-hop over streetcar tracks or up curbs, when necessary. The SL is the better road/commuter, while the Vado has the edge as a gravel bike.

There are a few street conditions in my area that give the SL a pretty good shaking, but were barely noticeable on the big Vado. With its longer wheelbase, heavier frame, big suspension forks and more powerful motor, the Vado would speed right through... I hate to say it, but almost like a motorcycle. It's an awesome ebike -- to me, one of the best all-around -- but in my case, I felt like it provided too much boost in every situation where I wanted it to be a bicycle, or at least a lightly assisted bicycle. IMO, the Vado is designed to be primary transportation--a pure car replacement--and it serves this function well. It's a bit power-hungry with regard to the battery usage, though.

The SL is a bicycle through and through. The joy of cycling is there. The convenience of an Ebike is there. It's not as fast as the regular Vado, but it's only a step slower. For riders who know what they're doing, it's equal to the Vado on most elevation changes. And the greater effort required to climb the steepest hills or maintain speeds in the upper 20s is exactly what I wanted in an Ebike.

Hello to all Vado SL owners! This is my 1st post, not sure where the right place to jump in would be, but I've been reading a lot here on this thread as well as the Vado/Como Club thread. Fantastic amount of information and help to be found here, thank you all! I was wanting to buy the V 4 SL since June. My LBS only had the Vado 3 to demo which I did, and was giddy upon returning from a ride up some hills and city streets. 4Xs power is very seductive plus the manager said the SL wasn't selling well once the buyer tried the bigger motor & battery of the Vado. Well I was completely decided on Specialized and the Turbo line up as my choice of bike, so I put a deposit down on a Vado 4 (Dove Grey). While waiting over a month, I started reading about how much everyone loved their Vados & Comos, however when I read Copyryder's description and comparisons it resonated with my original preference for a lighter "bike experience" and the subsequent cardio workout the SL offers. Thank you Copyryder for expressing what I wanted in my 1st ebike! I visited another bike shop that only carried Specialized (Synergy in Santa Monica CA), and by luck they had a Crimson Red V4 SL (Med non-EQ) in a box. I bought it, cancelled my Vado 4 order at my LBS (It's been 6 weeks and no arrival still), I am firmly convinced I made the right decision for me. I've had it for 5 days and loving pedaling on the flats with no assist, although Eco is very subtle, I notice it more when I take it off line than when it's engaged. It's not as quiet as I would've liked, especially going up hills in Sport or Turbo, however wind noise and traffic drown it out most of the time. I'm assuming it's pretty noticeable in nature with no wind. No kick stand, (champagne complaint) Specialized is back ordered with no ETA in sight. it's already fallen in the house, reached out to catch it, broke it's fall, tweaked my shoulder!
Bottom line, I love this bike! It's a perfect in-between step from analog to ebike. Looks like this could be the start of my new hobby, I'm honored to be among you all. I will get my posting chops (pix) and profile together soon...maybe not, having too much fun riding.

Hello to all Vado SL owners! This is my 1st post, not sure where the right place to jump in would be, but I've been reading a lot here on this thread as well as the Vado/Como Club thread. Fantastic amount of information and help to be found here, thank you all! I was wanting to buy the V 4 SL since June. My LBS only had the Vado 3 to demo which I did, and was giddy upon returning from a ride up some hills and city streets. 4Xs power is very seductive plus the manager said the SL wasn't selling well once the buyer tried the bigger motor & battery of the Vado. Well I was completely decided on Specialized and the Turbo line up as my choice of bike, so I put a deposit down on a Vado 4 (Dove Grey). While waiting over a month, I started reading about how much everyone loved their Vados & Comos, however when I read Copyryder's description and comparisons it resonated with my original preference for a lighter "bike experience" and the subsequent cardio workout the SL offers. Thank you Copyryder for expressing what I wanted in my 1st ebike! I visited another bike shop that only carried Specialized (Synergy in Santa Monica CA), and by luck they had a Crimson Red V4 SL (Med non-EQ) in a box. I bought it, cancelled my Vado 4 order at my LBS (It's been 6 weeks and no arrival still), I am firmly convinced I made the right decision for me. I've had it for 5 days and loving pedaling on the flats with no assist, although Eco is very subtle, I notice it more when I take it off line than when it's engaged. It's not as quiet as I would've liked, especially going up hills in Sport or Turbo, however wind noise and traffic drown it out most of the time. I'm assuming it's pretty noticeable in nature with no wind. No kick stand, (champagne complaint) Specialized is back ordered with no ETA in sight. it's already fallen in the house, reached out to catch it, broke it's fall, tweaked my shoulder!
Bottom line, I love this bike! It's a perfect in-between step from analog to ebike. Looks like this could be the start of my new hobby, I'm honored to be among you all. I will get my posting chops (pix) and profile together soon...maybe not, having too much fun riding.

Welcome to EBR and congrats on your new V4 SL. ;)

Good going on the purchase! You will love it. That color is rad. If it came in EQ, I might have gotten it, too.

Thanks for the shout-out. Happy to add some value to the conversation. It's really hard to go wrong either way, though.

With regard to the motor whine. You're right to note that it's a bit louder than the standard VADO (which is among the quietest on the market, by most accounts). I've found it to actually be a benefit, though. Because the SL is so reliant on cadence to deliver full power and efficiency, I've started listening to the motor whine when climbing the steepest hills (Bernal Heights, Telegraph in SF) to tell me when I'm not pedaling smoothly and consistently. If the sound is smooth and consistent, I know I'm getting maximum power output from the motor. If it peaks and diminishes, I'm relying more on torque, and thus, not getting maximum power from the motor and my efforts. It's a way to train yourself for good habits.

As far as the amount of power in each mode, I suggest you play around with Mission Control for a few days to set it just the way you want it. I can't remember my exact settings offhand, but I'm riding (approx):

ECO: 25%-40%
SPORT: 50%-75%
TURBO: 85%-100%

Of course, I also ride with it "off" quite a bit, too. The first number is your starting-point assist. That's basically when your torque is high and cadence is low. As your cadence rises, more assist is added in (quite smoothly) to help you gain and maintain speed. I've found that I really notice about a 10% jump in boost and that 50-60% of the time I ride, ECO is my preferred setting, or SPORT in moderate city traffic (for safety) I really only do TURBO for hills...or slight inclines in heavy traffic). With this configuration, I can use the mode selector almost like a throttle and dial up or down the assist with quick and consistent response that's exactly to my liking in most gears... 5th, being my normal sweet spot for nearly all modes and conditions outside of extreme needs.

Try the tuning--you'll like it.

Last edited:
Truly appreciate your first opinion. After all, they mirror mine! 😉

Gorp, you mentioned that the Vado SL is the right bike for you. I think that's important to remember. Everyone has different needs/wants and what works for one person doesn't work for another.

Gorp, you mentioned that the Vado SL is the right bike for you. I think that's important to remember. Everyone has different needs/wants and what works for one person doesn't work for another.
I don't think he was forgetting that fact; On the contrary, I think he was underscoring it by explaining why this was the bike for him. He never even hinted that it was the perfect bike for anyone else.

Welcome to EBR and congrats on your new V4 SL. ;)

Thanks for the welcome. That video review was what got me started!

Back