Specialized’s ultra-light 120-mile range e-bike - Turbo Vado SL

Looks like a great bike for fit riders looking for a low power/high range option.

Specialized has just released the latest edition to its Turbo e-bike lineup, the Specialized Turbo Vado SL. With “SL” standing for Super Light, this is also one of the lightest e-bikes in Specialized’s lineup, weighing in at as little as 33 lb (14.9 kg).
The motor is designed to provide up to 200% of the rider’s pedaling output, and specific emphasis was placed on programming the motor and controller to feel as natural as possible when it rolls on the power.

The idea is to maintain the rider as the central unit of the bike and to keep the assist as just that — an assist system that doesn’t detract from the ride experience that cycling enthusiasts find so critical.

View attachment 52246

An internal 320Wh battery is designed to provide up to 80 miles (128 km) of range, at least when used in Eco Mode.

Higher-power modes will reduce that range a bit, though Specialized also offers a range extender battery that fits in one of two water bottle holders and can add another 40 miles (64 km) of range, bringing the total max range up to 120 miles (193 km).
The Specialized Turbo Vado SL is available starting today from as low as $3,350.

Just posted on Electrek... another competitor to Specialized in the ultra-light eBike category at 11 kg (24.2 lb).

1594660521549.png

Just posted on Electrek... another competitor to Specialized in the ultra-light eBike category at 11 kg (24.2 lb).

View attachment 58821
That looks awesome. Seems like they erred on the side of being lightweight as an analog bike, though:

The bike is pedal assist-only, and thus the base model comes with a 36V battery rated for 125Wh of capacity, though the company has confirmed that a larger 250Wh battery is coming soon. Superstrata claims a maximum range of up to 35 miles (56 km) in the lowest pedal assist mode on the entry-level battery; however, e-bike ranges are notoriously wide and affected by many variables.

From my own experience, on one of my best rides I was able to go around 25 miles on 90Wh of battery with my 250W pedal assist bike, though that was with a good amount of huffing and puffing on my side. So suffice to say that this range is possible, as long as you’re prepared to put in the work.

There's just not much range here, so the bike isn't as usable as an Ebike as the Vado SL.

Copyrider - thanks for your informative posts on riding and equip strategies for the Vado SL. I got a 2021 5.0 EQ SL Vado yesterday and am truly looking forward to mastering the ride. Lived in SF in grad school and can visualize your rides :) I have a small size and we ordered a redshift shockstop seat post but after reading post here don't think it will work in my small. I emailed redshift for clarification. But I'll take a look at your kinekt as an alternative. Am also waiting on a Jones 2.5 high rise bar, and will get cables re-run. And the Shimano PD-EH500 SPD pedals. Are you still using the stock tires? I was planning to have them changed to 38 tubeless. Wondering if you have used tubeless and what your thoughts are. Please keep adding your posts they are very helpful.

Why wouldn't your seat post work? If it's 27.2" it should fit just fine, unless you're concerned about the proper length. The Kinekt does offer some varying length options, if that's your issue. Of course, it's best to go with the shortest seat post that will work for you, for minor weight considerations.

And yes, I am still using the stock tires. I like them okay, except that I have to be extra careful around streetcar tracks now. I might be interested in a wider, more suited to on/off-road tire. These also seem to occasionally grab pebbles and send them rattling up through my front fender. No harm done or anything, but the noise is a little jarring when it happens.

That looks awesome. Seems like they erred on the side of being lightweight as an analog bike, though:

The bike is pedal assist-only, and thus the base model comes with a 36V battery rated for 125Wh of capacity, though the company has confirmed that a larger 250Wh battery is coming soon. Superstrata claims a maximum range of up to 35 miles (56 km) in the lowest pedal assist mode on the entry-level battery; however, e-bike ranges are notoriously wide and affected by many variables.

From my own experience, on one of my best rides I was able to go around 25 miles on 90Wh of battery with my 250W pedal assist bike, though that was with a good amount of huffing and puffing on my side. So suffice to say that this range is possible, as long as you’re prepared to put in the work.

There's just not much range here, so the bike isn't as usable as an Ebike as the Vado SL.

The new battery will have double the range as the base model... sounds like 70 miles/112 km in the lowest mode.

Why wouldn't your seat post work? If it's 27.2" it should fit just fine, unless you're concerned about the proper length. The Kinekt does offer some varying length options, if that's your issue. Of course, it's best to go with the shortest seat post that will work for you, for minor weight considerations.

And yes, I am still using the stock tires. I like them okay, except that I have to be extra careful around streetcar tracks now. I might be interested in a wider, more suited to on/off-road tire. These also seem to occasionally grab pebbles and send them rattling up through my front fender. No harm done or anything, but the noise is a little jarring when it happens.
Thanks for the response. Actually I heard from Redshift and the seat post should fit, but the Kinekt will not according to their email. So I will go with the Redshift which is fine. I discussed tubeless with the shop, and he said either 38's or 42, however if you get 42's they will be wider than the fender.... at least the fender on the Vado SL 5.0 EQ, Your fenders may be different - I also have a Levi on order so I think the 38s are ok - but the 42s looked pretty good on another bike... so still not sure. If you have the 4.0 your tires may be different than mine, too, at least the ones (4.0 vs 5.0EQ) I looked at had different tires and fenders.

I'd also taco that frame in about five seconds in San Francisco urban riding. A seat post tube would only cost a few pounds and change the structural rigidity of that bike immensely. It might not look as cool as that design, but it would look a lot better than having your $4k bike snapped in half.

I'd also taco that frame in about five seconds in San Francisco urban riding. A seat post tube would only cost a few pounds and change the structural rigidity of that bike immensely. It might not look as cool as that design, but it would look a lot better than having your $4k bike snapped in half.

I think you might be ok without the seat tube... ;)

The innovative Superstrata bikes are made possible thanks to novel 3D printing technology developed by Arevo. After developing a way to 3D-print carbon fiber in a much stronger and more robust form than standard carbon fiber layup, the team began searching for a product that could demonstrate the technology’s advantages.

They learned how fragile carbon bicycle frames can be, and so the team enlisted award-winning bicycle-designer Bill Stephens to develop a bicycle that could be 3D-printed using Arevo’s technology. As Superstrata CEO Sonny Vu explained in a call with Electrek: "My friends were always so careful with their expensive carbon bikes, afraid for it to tip over or get hit. And I’d ask, ‘I thought carbon frames are super strong?’ but they’d respond, ‘No, they’re super light. But they can be fragile.’"

superstrata

And that is one of Superstrata’s big advantages, that their frames can take a beating in pretty much any direction, unlike most carbon bike frames that can crack or break if loaded or stressed in the wrong way. Though that’s not Superstrata’s only advantage. Unlike most frames that come in a few sizes, Superstrata’s bikes are custom 3D-printed to the precise size of the rider. Customers simply provide their body measurements as if they were having a suit tailored, and Superstrata’s algorithm calculates and then prints the bike’s geometry customized for the rider in a true unibody frame — no glue, joints or seams needed like in traditional carbon bike frames.

Even the preferred stiffness of the bike’s frame can be custom tailored to the rider’s desires.
Riders can further customize the bikes by choosing from four different styles (racing, street, gravel, or touring), two wheel materials (metal or carbon fiber), and two colorways (light or dark).

Last edited:
I think you might be ok without the seat tube... ;)

The innovative Superstrata bikes are made possible thanks to novel 3D printing technology developed by Arevo. After developing a way to 3D-print carbon fiber in a much stronger and more robust form than standard carbon fiber layup, the team began searching for a product that could demonstrate the technology’s advantages. They learned how fragile carbon bicycle frames can be, and so the team enlisted award-winning bicycle-designer Bill Stephens to develop a bicycle that could be 3D-printed using Arevo’s technology. As Superstrata CEO Sonny Vu explained in a call with Electrek: "My friends were always so careful with their expensive carbon bikes, afraid for it to tip over or get hit. And I’d ask, ‘I thought carbon frames are super strong?’ but they’d respond, ‘No, they’re super light. But they can be fragile.’"
superstrata

And that is one of Superstrata’s big advantages, that their frames can take a beating in pretty much any direction, unlike most carbon bike frames that can crack or break if loaded or stressed in the wrong way. Though that’s not Superstrata’s only advantage. Unlike most frames that come in a few sizes, Superstrata’s bikes are custom 3D-printed to the precise size of the rider. Customers simply provide their body measurements as if they were having a suit tailored, and Superstrata’s algorithm calculates and then prints the bike’s geometry customized for the rider in a true unibody frame — no glue, joints or seams needed like in traditional carbon bike frames.

Even the preferred stiffness of the bike’s frame can be custom tailored to the rider’s desires.
Riders can further customize the bikes by choosing from four different styles (racing, street, gravel, or touring), two wheel materials (metal or carbon fiber), and two colorways (light or dark).

Yeah, I read that. Still skeptical.

Thanks for the response. Actually I heard from Redshift and the seat post should fit, but the Kinekt will not according to their email. So I will go with the Redshift which is fine. I discussed tubeless with the shop, and he said either 38's or 42, however if you get 42's they will be wider than the fender.... at least the fender on the Vado SL 5.0 EQ, Your fenders may be different - I also have a Levi on order so I think the 38s are ok - but the 42s looked pretty good on another bike... so still not sure. If you have the 4.0 your tires may be different than mine, too, at least the ones (4.0 vs 5.0EQ) I looked at had different tires and fenders.

To my knowledge, both 4.0 EQ and 5.0 EQ have the same tires and fenders. Non EQ versions get a different tire setup--non-reflective sidewall and slightly knobby tread, but also shared between both the 4.0 and 5.0.

any idea how i could order the fenders and rack that comes in the EQ? I live in Canada and we only had the regular one for sale

Nope and they have been less then helpful when I was telling them about a creek I was hearing which turned out to be from sand that got into the seat tube after riding in the rain. They told me those skus were not available and when I look at the specialized Canada website I don’t see any of the parts listed as well

I don't understand why the Canadian market is continually short-changed when it comes to ebikes and their accessories.

Looks like you'll have to go aftermarket.

Im searching for my first e bike and this looks almost perfect. But that noise level is quite extreme in the videos, very annoying to me. The mahle x35 on the quick neo and tredwell neo seem better.

But it's hard to tell from the videos it could be the mic. How do they compare in real life? Anyone compared?

Back