Specialized’s ultra-light 120-mile range e-bike - Turbo Vado SL

Good write-up, Copyrider. Makes me wish even more that I had waited on getting the Vado and known about the SL coming out. Of course, supply being what it is, I my might still not have a bike and with my current injury I probably wouldn't be able to ride at all. So some silver lining in all this.

I can't imagine those SF hills without motorized assistance. Even with a motor they must be tough.

They are some work, even with assist. SF itself compensates with nice, cool sunny weather pretty much year-round, though. And the views... My bike was purchased to be my commuter and it works great in that capacity. The recreational aspects of it--like biking up Russian Hill in 68 degree sunshine in July to catch a view of Alcatraz--are simply a bonus.

Good write-up, Copyrider. Makes me wish even more that I had waited on getting the Vado and known about the SL coming out. Of course, supply being what it is, I my might still not have a bike and with my current injury I probably wouldn't be able to ride at all. So some silver lining in all this.

If my Vado hadn't been stolen, I would still be riding it without a single thought of regret about its purchase, even in the face of the SL. There's plenty to love about both iterations and I do love both bikes. My Vado 4.0 was a beast--very smooth and a competent commuter over rough city streets. I considered the speed and power to mix in traffic with minimal effort an added safety feature. I simply wished for a better recreational cycling experience.

The SL requires more leg work to produce the same return on my commute. On paper, its output is half the Vado's. In my experience, it feels more like 90%, once you learn the nuances of maximizing a machine that's part human, part electric power (regardless of the ratios and multiple other contributing forces). It merely flips the coin the other way in recreational cycling, as the more powerful Vado was probably 90% the cycling experience of the light and nimble SL.

Enjoy your bike! I'm a big fan and advocate of all Vados.

If my Vado hadn't been stolen, I would still be riding it without a single thought of regret about its purchase, even in the face of the SL. There's plenty to love about both iterations and I do love both bikes. My Vado 4.0 was a beast--very smooth and a competent commuter over rough city streets. I considered the speed and power to mix in traffic with minimal effort an added safety feature. I simply wished for a better recreational cycling experience.

The SL requires more leg work to produce the same return on my commute. On paper, its output is half the Vado's. In my experience, it feels more like 90%, once you learn the nuances of maximizing a machine that's part human, part electric power (regardless of the ratios and multiple other contributing forces). It merely flips the coin the other way in recreational cycling, as the more powerful Vado was probably 90% the cycling experience of the light and nimble SL.

Enjoy your bike! I'm a big fan and advocate of all Vados.
I'm retired so my usage is 100% recreational. I have my Vado tuned down to 15% assist in Eco mode, which is quite sufficient and often even feels like more than I need. So one of the SL models would certainly be suitable for me, and I really would like to lose some of the Vado's weight. With my ongoing back problems it's really not safe for me to lift entirely by myself, which is a situation I don't particularly like. The bike carrier on my car actually came with a removable ramp and I've been using that on occasion when loading and unloading.

I'm retired so my usage is 100% recreational. I have my Vado tuned down to 15% assist in Eco mode, which is quite sufficient and often even feels like more than I need. So one of the SL models would certainly be suitable for me, and I really would like to lose some of the Vado's weight. With my ongoing back problems it's really not safe for me to lift entirely by myself, which is a situation I don't particularly like. The bike carrier on my car actually came with a removable ramp and I've been using that on occasion when loading and unloading.

The weight is certainly the major difference and is a key player in choosing the right Vado between these two, especially when the bike is not in motion. I occasionally took a train on my commute (back when we did that LOL) and that's when the shortcomings of 50+ pounds of bike plus a full bag mounted on the rack really showed themselves. Getting down or up to train platforms was an ordeal. And I never even thought about hoisting it up on a bus bike rack.

I’m with you. Retired, over 70 and a recreational rider. I got a Vado 4 SL the week it came out and it’s changed my riding life. I had been looking at the regular Vado and it’s many similar competitors and was discouraged in my ebike quest. The SL solves,the weight problem, provideS all the assist I really need and has been a joy. I joined a 20 mile group ride today and at the slower group speeds had a ball, getting plenty of exercise without wiping myself out, which is what had happened when I did the same ride on my analog bike last year.

I am truly glad I bought it.

Took a quick, 20-mile ride across the Golden Gate Bridge to Sausalito and back yesterday.

CC791F0D-0B27-4BEA-A018-ABAC586C1D38.jpegE8D98196-30E0-4D06-8DEF-D1C3195E31FF.jpegAccording to Mission Control, I lost and climbed 1300 feet and averaged a little over 11mph (with a few stops to take in my surroundings) at an average assist level of 66%.
1F484CF3-3E2D-448E-A45D-F8EDE83EE727.jpeg198BB82D-E111-4511-8D27-FA799F14AEF0.jpeg

My final climb home is one of the 7-8 streets that go up to Pacific Heights. The longest, steepest and tallest is probably Fillmore St.

Today, I chose Laguna St. (a few blocks East) after a slow, casual ride along the crowded Marina walkway and bike path. It’s about 325 feet, at times seemingly straight up...😊
49891775-9AB8-4A86-9020-EB73301072A0.jpeg

I attend the 94 World Cup to see Brazil play who had games at Stanford. On on off day we went to Sausalito and I thought it was an incredible place. I would have loved to have found a job in California when I was younger. San Fran and San Diego are two of my favourite cities.

Took a quick, 20-mile ride across the Golden Gate Bridge to Sausalito and back yesterday.

View attachment 57960View attachment 57961According to Mission Control, I lost and climbed 1300 feet and averaged a little over 11mph (with a few stops to take in my surroundings) at an average assist level of 66%.
View attachment 57962View attachment 57963

My final climb home is one of the 7-8 streets that go up to Pacific Heights. The longest, steepest and tallest is probably Fillmore St.

Today, I chose Laguna St. (a few blocks East) after a slow, casual ride along the crowded Marina walkway and bike path. It’s about 325 feet, at times seemingly straight up...😊
View attachment 57964
Great photos. In your pictures, it looks like you do not have the range extender. Do you have one? Also did you modify the seat post?

View attachment 57960View attachment 57961According to Mission Control, I lost and climbed 1300 feet and averaged a little over 11mph (with a few stops to take in my surroundings) at an average assist level of 66%.
View attachment 57962View attachment 57963

View attachment 57964
Is that a foldable bike lock on your down tube braze-ons? If so, which one?

Great photos. In your pictures, it looks like you do not have the range extender. Do you have one? Also did you modify the seat post?

I don't have the range extender yet. I am still considering adding it. My bike is primarily used as a commuter, so it remains to be seen if I want/need it. Having come from a regular Vado to the SL, I've already noticed, by my rough estimate, about 30-40% greater range for the SL on identical routes, but using consistently less assist.

And yes, I replaced the seat post with a Kinekt 2.1suspension post. I also replaced the saddle with a Selle Anatomica H2. I love both. The folding lock is an ABUS Centium model (which was their special edition version last year, I believe) It's a bit fancier than the standard black ones and it comes in a big wooden box that's great for storing souvenirs, such as those picked up on Humboldt County rides.

I got the folding lock at about a $40 discount by ordering through BikeInn and shipping it from England. It took almost three weeks to get it, though, as they use USPS.

I don't have the range extender yet. I am still considering adding it. My bike is primarily used as a commuter, so it remains to be seen if I want/need it. Having come from a regular Vado to the SL, I've already noticed, by my rough estimate, about 30-40% greater range for the SL on identical routes, but using consistently less assist.

And yes, I replaced the seat post with a Kinekt 2.1suspension post. I also replaced the saddle with a Selle Anatomica H2. I love both. The folding lock is an ABUS Centium model (which was their special edition version last year, I believe) It's a bit fancier than the standard black ones and it comes in a big wooden box that's great for storing souvenirs, such as those picked up on Humboldt County rides.

I got the folding lock at about a $40 discount by ordering through BikeInn and shipping it from England. It took almost three weeks to get it, though, as they use USPS.
What tyre pressure do you find works best? I have been at 60Psi.. but last night tried 48..still not sure the sweet spot. I mainly ride hard paths and roads similar to you I think.

What tyre pressure do you find works best? I have been at 60Psi.. but last night tried 48..still not sure the sweet spot. I mainly ride hard paths and roads similar to you I think.

I'm running 50psi now. The difference in comfort and control provided by the new saddle and suspension seat post was significant to me. Staying in the saddle versus standing on the pedals for bumps on these front-wheel weighted bikes makes a huge difference in ride quality, especially in fast downhills, in traffic.

Please note--the tires on the standard Vado are wider and more substantial than those on the SL. So the standard Vado can be better dialed for ride dampening than the SL can, with regard to tire pressure.

I'm running 50psi now. The difference in comfort and control provided by the new saddle and suspension seat post was significant to me. Staying in the saddle versus standing on the pedals for bumps on these front-wheel weighted bikes makes a huge difference in ride quality, especially in fast downhills, in traffic.

Please note--the tires on the standard Vado are wider and more substantial than those on the SL. So the standard Vado can be better dialed for ride dampening than the SL can, with regard to tire pressure.
Thanks I will try 50. I will look into seat post also. My dealer is telling me Pathfinder Pro 2Bliss 700x42 tubeless tyres would be great

Took the Vado SL 5.0 for a 26 mile ride today in the Santa Cruz area with around 2000 feet of climbing with some grades 10 to 15%. The steeper ones were shorter, but there were a couple of sustained climbs. Overall, I was happy with the bike. It handles very well, pretty much like a regular road bike, and that is what I wanted. However, I ended up using Sport mode (2nd level) and Turbo quite a lot and that sucked up battery charge big time. At the end of the ride, I had 40% battery left. It was a bit disappointing, but I am a 71 year old woman who hasn't ridden in almost a year. As I ride more, I will get better. That said, the biggest problem I had was using turbo mode up the hills, or when I just wanted an extra boost. The motor would regularly pause and cut out on me while climbing, then kick in again. It didn't cause the bike to be jerky, but it was very disconcerting. I checked with the bike shop and they thought that I wasn't pedaling fast enough or hard enough and when that happens the motor will slow down or pause. Assuming this is true, I think this is a downside of the bike. None of the other levels did this (Eco and Sport were fine), just the Turbo mode. This aspect was very disappointing. I also have a Levo emtb and the motor does not do that. Has anyone else had that experience on the Vado SL?

I have never had that happen to me in turbo mode. I'm curious do you have a fitness tracker, wearable or bike computer that supports an external cadence sensor? If you do then it's a simple matter to pair it to the Vado SL and then you can see what your cadence is when the motor cuts out. Or put another way, when the motor cuts out, look at the cadence, that should tell you if what the bike shop told you is plausible or not.

That Kinekt seat post is pricey. Online says $249.
Bought mine through the Selle Anatomica site and got 20% off with their discount code.

Still pricey, but It's made such an improvement in my ride and the build quality is high, so, to me, it has been worth it.

I opted not to go for the carbon version as it costs $50 more and only weighs a little under a pound less.

I have never had that happen to me in turbo mode. I'm curious do you have a fitness tracker, wearable or bike computer that supports an external cadence sensor? If you do then it's a simple matter to pair it to the Vado SL and then you can see what your cadence is when the motor cuts out. Or put another way, when the motor cuts out, look at the cadence, that should tell you if what the bike shop told you is plausible or not.
Great idea. I have a cadence meter that I can pair with my Garmin, and maybe the Mission Control app.

Back