Specialized’s ultra-light 120-mile range e-bike - Turbo Vado SL

I didn't mean him, but everyone else should remember that.
You're all correct. And I would love a Vado 4 as a 2nd bike, but there's that pesky money obstacle, damn. All that awesome power when you're beat, going home, I also think it's probably more fun to go faster and farther with that 4X. But I made the choice to commit to the lighter bike, lighter assist, and heavier workout philosophy. So far nothing but love, and it's early in the romance...however, will definitely be raising the handlebars, back of my neck is hurting.

You're all correct. And I would love a Vado 4 as a 2nd bike, but there's that pesky money obstacle, damn. All that awesome power when you're beat, going home, I also think it's probably more fun to go faster and farther with that 4X. But I made the choice to commit to the lighter bike, lighter assist, and heavier workout philosophy. So far nothing but love, and it's early in the romance...however, will definitely be raising the handlebars, back of my neck is hurting.
Don't even try adding the "full" Vado to your stable. You are very happy now with the SL, feel you're getting necessary workout, your bike is so lightweight you can carry it up stairs, you love it. The "full" Vado provides tons of assistance because it has been designed as a commuter, not a leisure, touring or fitness e-bike. As I love my Vado 5.0, I sometimes have a feeling riding it is too easy! :) For health reason, I need a little bit of assistance more than a typical rider and am incapable to ride with the power Off (unless it is a steep descent). That's also the reason I'm riding for long distances with a spare battery. Still, getting in Sport or Turbo mode makes me feel it is all too easy.

My other e-bike, Giant Trance E+ has a single and smaller battery. I'm riding it off-road only and with less assistance to extend the range. The Trance gives me a really solid workout! If I could allow it, riding the Giant with more support would be too easy as well.

I'm afraid if you bought the "full" Vado, you would leave your SL alone. Not because it is a wrong bike, no! Because most of us like things easy.

Good going on the purchase! You will love it. That color is rad. If it came in EQ, I might have gotten it, too.

Thanks for the shout-out. Happy to add some value to the conversation. It's really hard to go wrong either way, though.

With regard to the motor whine. You're right to note that it's a bit louder than the standard VADO (which is among the quietest on the market, by most accounts). I've found it to actually be a benefit, though. Because the SL is so reliant on cadence to deliver full power and efficiency, I've started listening to the motor whine when climbing the steepest hills (Bernal Heights, Telegraph in SF) to tell me when I'm not pedaling smoothly and consistently. If the sound is smooth and consistent, I know I'm getting maximum power output from the motor. If it peaks and diminishes, I'm relying more on torque, and thus, not getting maximum power from the motor and my efforts. It's a way to train yourself for good habits.

As far as the amount of power in each mode, I suggest you play around with Mission Control for a few days to set it just the way you want it. I can't remember my exact settings offhand, but I'm riding (approx):

ECO: 25%-40%
SPORT: 50%-75%
TURBO: 85%-100%

Of course, I also ride with it "off" quite a bit, too. The first number is your starting-point assist. That's basically when your torque is high and cadence is low. As your cadence rises, more assist is added in (quite smoothly) to help you gain and maintain speed. I've found that I really notice about a 10% jump in boost and that 50-60% of the time I ride, ECO is my preferred setting, or SPORT in moderate city traffic (for safety) I really only do TURBO for hills...or slight inclines in heavy traffic). With this configuration, I can use the mode selector almost like a throttle and dial up or down the assist with quick and consistent response that's exactly to my liking in most gears... 5th, being my normal sweet spot for nearly all modes and conditions outside of extreme needs.

Try the tuning--you'll like it.
Thanks Copyryder, your advice is taken to heart, or shall I say cardio. :) I will be experimenting with Eco & Sport settings. And will be more aware of my cadence on hills.

Don't even try adding the "full" Vado to your stable. You are very happy now with the SL, feel you're getting necessary workout, your bike is so lightweight you can carry it up stairs, you love it. The "full" Vado provides tons of assistance because it has been designed as a commuter, not a leisure, touring or fitness e-bike. As I love my Vado 5.0, I sometimes have a feeling riding it is too easy! :) For health reason, I need a little bit of assistance more than a typical rider and am incapable to ride with the power Off (unless it is a steep descent). That's also the reason I'm riding for long distances with a spare battery. Still, getting in Sport or Turbo mode makes me feel it is all too easy.

My other e-bike, Giant Trance E+ has a single and smaller battery. I'm riding it off-road only and with less assistance to extend the range. The Trance gives me a really solid workout! If I could allow it, riding the Giant with more support would be too easy as well.

I'm afraid if you bought the "full" Vado, you would leave your SL alone. Not because it is a wrong bike, no! Because most of us like things easy.
Thanks Stefan for your comments, you are one of the Grand Poobahs of Pedelecs! I trust your advice.
Btw, buying a reg Vado 4 to go with the SL is a fantasy of power and mostly folly and jest.

Hello everyone, firstly, great to see an active forum, I’ve been reading everything I could before buying this bike, carefully noting Court’s review and all opinions on this thread. Hopefully I can contribute with my impressions of the Vado SL 5 after a few weeks. Succinctly, wow! Which is what everyone who’s had a go also says straight away- this thing is incredible.

I bought it because I don’t fancy the idea of the Northern Line (London Underground), even less now than I did four months ago... And, of course, because I love bikes, and this one just screamed “buy me”, especially in silver. Which I did, without a test ride first. I considered a Ribble, Desiknio (both no stock) a Van Moof S3 (potentially unfounded reservations about proprietary components personally) and a few others. The team at the Specialized Concept Store London (Ruislip) were great, reassuring given how outrageously expensive it was. I’m very lucky to have too many bikes already, but, my god, this one is next-level expensive... so I’m glad to be left impressed.

I’ve never really been interested in road bikes (had a few) but I have a couple of mountain bikes and a bunch of cruisers. Road bikes always seemed more about exercise, slogging along instead of having fun. I have a lovely (parkland, shared bike / pedestrian type) route nearby to wind down on, after a long day of working from home... Been riding it for thirty years, ever since I was allowed out my own! About 35 minutes on a heavy steel, back-pedal brake cruiser, maybe 10 minutes less on a trick MTB hardtail with slicks and a high geared Nexus hub. Bikes set their own pace I think. The Vado SL went round in just over 15 minutes, without trying particularly hard. But I nearly lunched it a couple of times. This thing is fast! I understand EU / UK Vado SLs are speed limited compared to US ones. I like to ride in a “press-on” manner, but I don’t take daft risks anymore, I stop at red lights etc, so for this kind of riding, at my level of reasonable fitness and urban road craft, it’s more than fast enough for London.

Anyway, I think I’ve decided to stick to using it for commuting on roads only. My tube journey to the office was an hour, door to door, the Vado SL does it in 40 minutes without (me) breaking a sweat, as I said, respecting traffic lights etc. Highgate Hill? Ha! Easy, and it opens up the possibility of taking quieter routes I wouldn’t consider otherwise. The biggest problem I’m going to have is figuring out a polite, British way of cruising past other cyclists. Give it a couple of weeks, that won’t be a issue (I let the roadies at the office all have a go, they loved it but cautioned me on how fast it was and the need to be sensible).

Problems- the saddle isn’t comfortable for me so far, big nope, but I understand that’s a personal thing. I’ll need to buy fenders and it seems I’m restricted to Specialized’s Dry-Tech only? Fancied some from PDW. For some reason the back of my left foot keeps hitting the crank, perhaps due to the motor / crank width? I think I’ll get the more compliant future shock spring fitted, not convinced the stiff one fitted is doing much for me. Don’t need so many gears. The middle ones aren’t helpful, way too similar. Low gears seem pointlessly so. Chain already damaged the paint on a bumpy road in highest gear, clearance seems mean. So whilst the Shimano stuff is excellent to use, I think it could benefit from a little more careful specifying. I wonder what’s on the Creo? I guess I need to get used to riding with a higher cadence to suit the motor. Interesting to see how reliable the drive train proves. Even before the recent price-hikes, I reckon there will be enough expensive Vado, Creo and Levo SLs around to sustain continued support and evolution from Specialized, or some other canny company... Position of the charge point seems sub-optimal, but no bad weather yet so I’ll see. The front hub / wheel makes a slight tickling noise... really, it’s pretty much a dream though. It’s like complaining about the ashtray in a Ferrari. The list of stuff I love about this bike is much longer.

Some highlights, the Mission Control app is fun, top speed recorded so far is 38.87mph... must try harder. I think that’s what I enjoy most (as mentioned, in the EU / UK electric bikes are basically identical up to 15mph or so) but this bike just flies once you’ve passed that. Lights are brilliant. Small thing, but the handlebar grips are amazing. Acceleration is outstanding for city riding, and it makes Jump bikes seem agricultural. Incidentally, if they sold one with more comfortable 650b’s, Gates belt and NuVinci I’d be all in. Come on Specialized, I’ll usertest it for you.

In summary, again, wow... this thing is fabulous. I’m likely biased, this bike represents a substantial investment, which mentally / financially I feel the need to justify I suppose... But if you’re lucky enough to make it happen, I’d say don’t hesitate, this bike will put a massive grin on your face. Happy to answer any questions. Simon

45762879-1B7F-477A-AA51-A94213A8A7E7.jpeg

Put my order in early July for the Vado SL 4.0 and hoping for sometime this month. Sold my Como 4.0 a month ago after riding 1,300 miles during the spring.

Hello everyone, firstly, great to see an active forum, I’ve been reading everything I could before buying this bike, carefully noting Court’s review and all opinions on this thread. Hopefully I can contribute with my impressions of the Vado SL 5 after a few weeks. Succinctly, wow! Which is what everyone who’s had a go also says straight away- this thing is incredible.

I bought it because I don’t fancy the idea of the Northern Line (London Underground), even less now than I did four months ago... And, of course, because I love bikes, and this one just screamed “buy me”, especially in silver. Which I did, without a test ride first. I considered a Ribble, Desiknio (both no stock) a Van Moof S3 (potentially unfounded reservations about proprietary components personally) and a few others. The team at the Specialized Concept Store London (Ruislip) were great, reassuring given how outrageously expensive it was. I’m very lucky to have too many bikes already, but, my god, this one is next-level expensive... so I’m glad to be left impressed.

I’ve never really been interested in road bikes (had a few) but I have a couple of mountain bikes and a bunch of cruisers. Road bikes always seemed more about exercise, slogging along instead of having fun. I have a lovely (parkland, shared bike / pedestrian type) route nearby to wind down on, after a long day of working from home... Been riding it for thirty years, ever since I was allowed out my own! About 35 minutes on a heavy steel, back-pedal brake cruiser, maybe 10 minutes less on a trick MTB hardtail with slicks and a high geared Nexus hub. Bikes set their own pace I think. The Vado SL went round in just over 15 minutes, without trying particularly hard. But I nearly lunched it a couple of times. This thing is fast! I understand EU / UK Vado SLs are speed limited compared to US ones. I like to ride in a “press-on” manner, but I don’t take daft risks anymore, I stop at red lights etc, so for this kind of riding, at my level of reasonable fitness and urban road craft, it’s more than fast enough for London.

Anyway, I think I’ve decided to stick to using it for commuting on roads only. My tube journey to the office was an hour, door to door, the Vado SL does it in 40 minutes without (me) breaking a sweat, as I said, respecting traffic lights etc. Highgate Hill? Ha! Easy, and it opens up the possibility of taking quieter routes I wouldn’t consider otherwise. The biggest problem I’m going to have is figuring out a polite, British way of cruising past other cyclists. Give it a couple of weeks, that won’t be a issue (I let the roadies at the office all have a go, they loved it but cautioned me on how fast it was and the need to be sensible).

Problems- the saddle isn’t comfortable for me so far, big nope, but I understand that’s a personal thing. I’ll need to buy fenders and it seems I’m restricted to Specialized’s Dry-Tech only? Fancied some from PDW. For some reason the back of my left foot keeps hitting the crank, perhaps due to the motor / crank width? I think I’ll get the more compliant future shock spring fitted, not convinced the stiff one fitted is doing much for me. Don’t need so many gears. The middle ones aren’t helpful, way too similar. Low gears seem pointlessly so. Chain already damaged the paint on a bumpy road in highest gear, clearance seems mean. So whilst the Shimano stuff is excellent to use, I think it could benefit from a little more careful specifying. I wonder what’s on the Creo? I guess I need to get used to riding with a higher cadence to suit the motor. Interesting to see how reliable the drive train proves. Even before the recent price-hikes, I reckon there will be enough expensive Vado, Creo and Levo SLs around to sustain continued support and evolution from Specialized, or some other canny company... Position of the charge point seems sub-optimal, but no bad weather yet so I’ll see. The front hub / wheel makes a slight tickling noise... really, it’s pretty much a dream though. It’s like complaining about the ashtray in a Ferrari. The list of stuff I love about this bike is much longer.

Some highlights, the Mission Control app is fun, top speed recorded so far is 38.87mph... must try harder. I think that’s what I enjoy most (as mentioned, in the EU / UK electric bikes are basically identical up to 15mph or so) but this bike just flies once you’ve passed that. Lights are brilliant. Small thing, but the handlebar grips are amazing. Acceleration is outstanding for city riding, and it makes Jump bikes seem agricultural. Incidentally, if they sold one with more comfortable 650b’s, Gates belt and NuVinci I’d be all in. Come on Specialized, I’ll usertest it for you.

In summary, again, wow... this thing is fabulous. I’m likely biased, this bike represents a substantial investment, which mentally / financially I feel the need to justify I suppose... But if you’re lucky enough to make it happen, I’d say don’t hesitate, this bike will put a massive grin on your face. Happy to answer any questions. Simon

View attachment 61966
Nice write-up. Beautiful bike. Congrats!

Great write-up! Since I've been to London for many times (but never cycled there), I can understand your impressions very well. Congratulations, Simon!

Fenders: Go with the DryTech. These are thoroughly designed and no reason to try anything else on that e-bike.
Saddle: Two different saddles I'm very fond of (used on different e-bikes) are: Selle Royal Respiro Soft Moderate Men; and Ergon ST Core Prime Men. With your 40 minute commute, you wouldn't even feel the seat...
Your comment about the crank: The Q-factor (or the horizontal distance between the cranks) in many mid-drive motor e-bikes is wide. You might use "spiked" pedals (I have found Race Face Ride the most safest) and wear trainers to precisely plant your feet on the pedals (to avoid rubbing the crank). But my cranks in regular Vado have the paint already rubbed off because the Q-factor is wide there.

View attachment 61966

Welcome to EBR and thanks for your very entertaining review! :)

View attachment 61966

Our motivations for choosing the Vado SL are quite similar (substitute BART for the London Underground) and our findings are similar, too. Even though I opted for the 4.0, I choked on the price tag a bit, too (LOL).

Regarding the fenders--my bike is the "EQ" model, so it came equipped with them. Though I get only three months per year where there would be any opportunity for them to even be useful due to rain, I do find they have performed well in instances of unexpected wet streets or puddles due to street cleaning. My only complaint is that they are a tad aggressive in their wheel coverage. For instance, in even dropping off a city curb, I always scrape the trailing edge of the front fender, or in popping the bike up on its back wheel to walk it through a narrow space, the back fender scrapes earlier than I'd prefer.Minor annoyances for such an effective design, I admit.

I also believe there are too many gears--and mine has fewer than yours. Even so, after a little time, I'm sure you will adjust your shifting and riding habits as I have, to maximize your SL's boost. Some experimentation with Mission Control will yield amazing results, too. It took me about a week over lots of different terrain and gearing to tune my settings the way I like them. Once it's dialed in, it's like a new bike all over again!

As to the saddle--I can't recommend this one enough: https://selleanatomica.com/products/h2-next-generation-saddle

It's expensive and not exactly light, but its performance is in line with your bike's, which is to say, it's excellent. The build and materials quality are excellent and the style and comfort are fitting of this bike's beautiful design. It's Brooks-style in its design and function, but much more sporty and sleek in its form.

Thanks everyone. Good call on the pedals and fenders- it was 36 degrees here in London today, but it’ll be raining soon enough... I’ll see if I can get the Drytechs fitted at the first service then, give them a go. Copyrider, that saddle looks great, food for thought thanks!

Good going on the purchase! You will love it. That color is rad. If it came in EQ, I might have gotten it, too.

Thanks for the shout-out. Happy to add some value to the conversation. It's really hard to go wrong either way, though.

With regard to the motor whine. You're right to note that it's a bit louder than the standard VADO (which is among the quietest on the market, by most accounts). I've found it to actually be a benefit, though. Because the SL is so reliant on cadence to deliver full power and efficiency, I've started listening to the motor whine when climbing the steepest hills (Bernal Heights, Telegraph in SF) to tell me when I'm not pedaling smoothly and consistently. If the sound is smooth and consistent, I know I'm getting maximum power output from the motor. If it peaks and diminishes, I'm relying more on torque, and thus, not getting maximum power from the motor and my efforts. It's a way to train yourself for good habits.

As far as the amount of power in each mode, I suggest you play around with Mission Control for a few days to set it just the way you want it. I can't remember my exact settings offhand, but I'm riding (approx):

Of course, I also ride with it "off" quite a bit, too. The first number is your starting-point assist. That's basically when your torque is high and cadence is low. As your cadence rises, more assist is added in (quite smoothly) to help you gain and maintain speed. I've found that I really notice about a 10% jump in boost and that 50-60% of the time I ride, ECO is my preferred setting, or SPORT in moderate city traffic (for safety) I really only do TURBO for hills...or slight inclines in heavy traffic). With this configuration, I can use the mode selector almost like a throttle and dial up or down the assist with quick and consistent response that's exactly to my liking in most gears... 5th, being my normal sweet spot for nearly all modes and conditions outside of extreme needs.

I’ve had my VADO 4 SL (unequipped) for about 2 months now. It’s a perfect fit for me as I wanted more of a fitness bike. I found your comments on

I’ve had my Vado 4 SL for about 2 months now. As I wanted more of a fitness bike the SL is perfect. Your comments on the bike being reliant on cadence has been very helpful to me. I’ve shortened the handle bars, installed an adjustable stem and most recently a Kinekt seat post. Now with cadence in mind I need to change out the cluster. There’s just too much of a gap between cogs. As we primarily ride scenic bike trails In northern Wisconsin and Minnesota I’m using about 3 of the10 cogs. This is a great forum. Thanks for your insight.

Back