Specialized Vado 5.0 IGH Cadence Survey

As a note, adjusting to the Slowest setting has not helped in the past.
If you want to have a very low cadence - rather go into the Enviolo app on your phone and while you are riding and move the cadence slider down to 50rpm (from memory it goes down to 50) - I have found when riding very slowly through crowds of walkers that this cadence level works very well as you are not "spinning" your pedals and have better control over riding around people with a relaxed slow ride. Obviously your power level is set to ECO as well - or you could just switch off your Mission Control and use your Enviolo setting.
I agree with Stefan that the optimal rider cadence is around 70 rpm but in the above example you are not wanting to exercise your legs - you want a slow relaxed and controlled ride to manage riding in a busy pedestrian environment (on the beach front :) )

If you want to have a very low cadence - rather go into the Enviolo app on your phone and while you are riding and move the cadence slider down to 50rpm (from memory it goes down to 50) - I have found when riding very slowly through crowds of walkers that this cadence level works very well as you are not "spinning" your pedals and have better control over riding around people with a relaxed slow ride. Obviously your power level is set to ECO as well - or you could just switch off your Mission Control and use your Enviolo setting.
I agree with Stefan that the optimal rider cadence is around 70 rpm but in the above example you are not wanting to exercise your legs - you want a slow relaxed and controlled ride to manage riding in a busy pedestrian environment (on the beach front :) )
Thanks. I bike mostly on trails and it is common to be biking slowly in crowds of walkers. I will try your suggestion, but, I have a Specialized Como and some of my research indicates that the Specialized app overrides the Enviolo app. I will keep trying and hopefully get it figured out. Thanks again Tim.

Thanks. I bike mostly on trails and it is common to be biking slowly in crowds of walkers. I will try your suggestion, but, I have a Specialized Como and some of my research indicates that the Specialized app overrides the Enviolo app. I will keep trying and hopefully get it figured out. Thanks again Tim.
I ride a Como 5 - yes, only if you change the pedal pace on the bike's remote controller then this will obviously over-ride any Enviolo settings previously made. If you have selected a very low rpm in the Enviolo App, and then later select "Slowest" on the remote controller then obviously the rpm will move up higher to the Specialized default settings. But if you don't touch the pedal selector on the remote your Enviolo setting should stay as the default pedal setting.

I ride a Como 5 - yes, only if you change the pedal pace on the bike's remote controller then this will obviously over-ride any Enviolo settings previously made. If you have selected a very low rpm in the Enviolo App, and then later select "Slowest" on the remote controller then obviously the rpm will move up higher to the Specialized default settings. But if you don't touch the pedal selector on the remote your Enviolo setting should stay as the default pedal setting.
I adjusted the Enviolo settings and that worked. But on restart it reverted back to 65. I will keep frigging with it. The worst case scenario, I adjust the cadence before casual biking. Not the end of the world. My only other issue is to find a comfortable seat. I’m 75 with a bony ass and we usually bike for 2-4 hours at a time.

Does anyone happen to have a part number or a link for the 22T rear cog?
This is the 22T my retailer ordered for my Como 5. This is from an Australian supplier. Hope this helps you.

1692249594379.png

There’s a few threads here where people mention Vado 5.0 IGH speed / cadence issues, with some people (like me) having a big challenge getting up to 28 MPH and others being fine.

Looking to get some conclusive data in real life to determine if it’s hardware limitations or software configuration issues are getting in the way.

Keeping as many variables constant, let’s test in Turbo mode, Slowest cadence, as flat of a road as possible, and report back the cadence it takes to get to 20, 25, and 28 MPH.

I’ll start:

20 MPH: 72-73 RPM
25 MPH: 86-87 RPM
28 MPH: 103-104 RPM

Thanks!
I was at around an 85 pace at 27 mph when I biked worked right on day 1.🤦‍♂️

My friend got his Vado 5 IGH a few weeks ago. He had been riding a van moof s3 previously. He told me the other day that his new specialized is a beast. I turned his cadence down to the second lowest setting as he seemed to prefer that. He tells me that he can reach 28 mph very easily and with little efforts.

I haven't spent any significant time riding his bike yet. If I do, I'll post my findings. I can only say that riding along with him it appears that his Vado 5 IGH can be quite fast with very little biker effort involved. In point of fact he is trying to figure out how to slow it down and I am not of much help to him with that bike.

In point of fact he is trying to figure out how to slow it down and I am not of much help to him with that bike.
Reduce the assistance to half of yours in % points (yours 20/100%, his 10/50%)😊 Could be hard to achieve given how little of assistance you're using yourself 😊

You guys are unhelpful lol 😂. Just trying to collect data from IGH riders to see if top speed of 28MPH is actually achievable at a reasonable cadence. No doubt the derailleur version can do it, though I am also curious to know what your cadence is at 28MPH in the highest (i.e. smallest) gear.

To be totally clear, I can get to 28MPH at 104RPM just fine, it just sucks to have to pedal that fast.
I am achieving 28 mph at a cadence of under 90 on mine consistently.

You guys are unhelpful lol 😂. Just trying to collect data from IGH riders to see if top speed of 28MPH is actually achievable at a reasonable cadence. No doubt the derailleur version can do it, though I am also curious to know what your cadence is at 28MPH in the highest (i.e. smallest) gear.

To be totally clear, I can get to 28MPH at 104RPM just fine, it just sucks to have to pedal that fast.
As previously mentioned - once I changed out the rear cog to a 22t I can get up to 45kph with a cadence or around 80rpm

I am achieving 28 mph at a cadence of under 90 on mine consistently.
Same. I reach 28mph at or right under 90 rpm on my Vado 5.0 IGH. I even ordered a 22t cog at the same time I bought the bike, but never installed it because the cadence is just right for me as-is.

Best bike I've ever owned.

I just picked up one of the cogs from this site:

It was shipped to me in about 2 days. I hope that its the right one, it seems to match the model number of the other one posted in the thread. I did have a question about these apps you guys are talking about, the only thing I was able to find was the mission control app and it has two measly options that both seem to do with engine output - is there a way through software to go beyond the 'Slowest' setting somehow for cadence?

I just picked up one of the cogs from this site:

It was shipped to me in about 2 days. I hope that its the right one, it seems to match the model number of the other one posted in the thread. I did have a question about these apps you guys are talking about, the only thing I was able to find was the mission control app and it has two measly options that both seem to do with engine output - is there a way through software to go beyond the 'Slowest' setting somehow for cadence?
Install and check the Enviolo app

Does anyone know if the 22T cog affects hill climbing ability?
Going from a 24T down to a slightly smaller cog at the back means your get slightly more power transferred to the wheel - so you should find hills a bit easier (maybe 8-10%??)

Back