Specialized Turbo Vado SL: An Incredible E-Bike (User Club)

The Cold Season Configuration Of My Vado SL

1728327636712.png

A larger chainring (42T instead of the 32T) and a new chain were what I needed for regular Vado SL rides in the cold season in the flat part of my province Mazovia.

1728327792878.png

I have reused my Garbaruk 104 BCD 42T chainring and the 8x8 mm steel MTB chainring bolts tightened to 5 Nm.

1728327902297.png

The 11-51T 11-speed cassette and the derailleur belong to the Shimano M5100 groupset. It was my major upgrade of the drivetrain made this season on a Vado SL 4.0.

1728328004919.png

The lowest 42-51T gear is near to the maximum "chain wrap capacity". I would hesitate to go with the largest allowed 44T chainring here! NB: The chain is KMC e11, 122 links used in whole.

1728328086696.png

Installing 42-622 Specialized Tracer Pro tyres in the tubeless setup was good from the riding perspective but it has eliminated the possibility of using the rear SKS Speedrocker mudguard/fender (too tight clearance!) Went with an SKS S-Guard (splash guard) instead.

1728328253748.png

While the front SKS Speedrocker fit with no issues!

1728328303524.png

My Vado SL cockpit as seen from the front.

1728328344764.png

Top-view of the cockpit. The photo is out-of-focus because the camera focused on the steering tube cap or on the subject in the mirror! :D

Last edited:
Yes, the bigger battery. Do not trust the weight given by Specialized until you actually weigh the e-bike :)
IDK, they provide the weights now for both...essentially identical though. IIRC when I weighed my 5.0 non EQ using a digital bathroom scale it was 33lbs.

6.0 LTD non EQ.

Weight
14.98 kg (33 lb, 0.4 oz)
Weight Size
MD

5.0 non EQ:

Weight
14.9kg (32 lb, 13.6 oz)
Weight Size
MD

IDK, they provide the weights now for both...essentially identical though. IIRC when I weighed my 5.0 non EQ using a digital bathroom scale it was 33lbs.

6.0 LTD non EQ.

Weight
14.98 kg (33 lb, 0.4 oz)
Weight Size
MD

5.0 non EQ:

Weight
14.9kg (32 lb, 13.6 oz)
Weight Size
MD
Well, the 520 Wh battery is substantially heavier than the 320 Wh one. I expect the weight difference between the both batteries being up to 3 lbs. That's exactly the carbon frame gain cancelled by the battery weight...

It looks horrible as an EQ

Carbon and SL1.2 sounds good, but for that price? :eek:
Actually in the context of Specialized traditionally high prices the prices are almost reasonable. Even for the absurd special
edition. After all electronic shifting is is a very popular thing to over pay for.

Actually, I’m glad the price is so high. It almost cures the false need illness.

Does anyone know if it has UDH hanger ?
I’m surprised they went Shimano rather than SRAM for the groupset..
Yeah me two! I heard loads of rumours that they were pissed at Shimano for supplying Trek during the Covid shortages and so had switched lock stock to SRAM. Guess business is business. A good deal etc.

Yeah me two! I heard loads of rumours that they were pissed at Shimano for supplying Trek during the Covid shortages and so had switched lock stock to SRAM. Guess business is business. A good deal etc.
Yeah for sure.. I was only introduced to Specialized in 2021 and looking at their portfolio for e-bikes I thought they and SRAM were best buddies…

I don’t think the SL2 has the UDH however just zooming in on the video
1728426991733.png

Would the SRAM GX Eagle AXS Upgrade Kit fit straight on the Vado SL 5?

Sounds like a fantastic upgrade from that review. Expensive at RRP but with a discount it would be tempting.
If you search on some threads, I did this upgrade a few years ago. Love the AXS on my Vado SL. Silent, quick shifting. No adjustments needed. Just make sure the battery is charged, and/or carry a spare!

Took about 30 mins. Also, I was able to remove the derailleur cables, since it's wireless.

I think the story was the following:
During the pandemic, Shimano experienced HUGE issues (don't ask me what issues) and could not deliver components in the quantity required by Specialized. Reluctantly, Specialized turned to SRAM as SRAM could deliver at that time. Meanwhile, Shimano has recovered. If you look at the Vado SL 2 specifications, you will see the LTD has an electronic SRAM drivetrain while the 6.0 is the mechanical Shimano.

UDH or not? If Specialized wants to use either drivetrain on different e-bike models, it probably has to be the UDH.

If you search on some threads, I did this upgrade a few years ago. Love the AXS on my Vado SL. Silent, quick shifting. No adjustments needed. Just make sure the battery is charged, and/or carry a spare!

Took about 30 mins. Also, I was able to remove the derailleur cables, since it's wireless.
Did you ever explore the possibility of keeping the system charged via the bikes battery?

Also, I am assuming the upgrade did not affect the warranty? 🤔

Back