Specialized Turbo Vado SL: An Incredible E-Bike (User Club)

So I was talking to a 'bike guy' who suggested that I look for a set of thru axle 700C mountain or cross country wheels with boost spacing.
This would provide a 12x148 rear and a 15x110 front. He then suggests that I switch the end caps at the front hub to accommodate the 12x110.

What say you about this idea?
We did that with mrs e-levity's SL 5. DT Swiss sells 12 and 15mm end caps that can be swapped.
In her case we used DT350 boost hubs and 27.5 carbon rims.

With regards to the seatpost - I like the look of the PNW coast dropper (40mm suspension and 100mm drop). I know it comes with external or internal routing- has anyone had success with internal routing of a dropper? (It looks so much neater). The rear brake and derailleur don't seem to leave any room for a 3rd cable. (I tried a search bit couldn't find any guides to an install - sorry!) and I know specialized advise its not compatible.

We routed the dropper cable for rigid 90mm PNW posts internally on our SL 5 bikes. It's tricky threading the housing over the motor and up the seat tube. You will also need to trim the plastic cover where the cables exit the upper down tube to accommodate all three cables.

We did that with mrs e-levity's SL 5. DT Swiss sells 12 and 15mm end caps that can be swapped.
In her case we used DT350 boost hubs and 27.5 carbon rims.
I'd guess those 27.5 wheels & tires really change the character of the ride

I'd guess those 27.5 wheels & tires really change the character of the ride
The main thing is that is allows use of wider tires and lower pressures for off-pavement riding.
The Panaracer Gravel Kings used measure 51mm wide on i30 rims (these won't fit in the standard fork).
The bottom bracket is a bit lower, but the tires are tall and wide so handling isn't that different.

Noticing Stefan's excellent explain of 'slam' I saw no pics. This shows the stem 'flip', yes keep the light the mounts swap around. Full 'slam' implies all spacers removed below the stem, not shown. Saddle position implies I ride on the 'horn'.

Flatbar gravel, 3yrs 12k miles of smiles, anxious for carbon options

Attachments

• 20240115_131542 (2).jpg
    20240115_131542 (2).jpg
    632.3 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:
Full 'slam' implies all spacers removed below the stem, not shown. Saddle position implies I ride on the 'horn'.
I think I kept some spacers below the stem as removing all of them made my riding position too forward.

Thank you for the explanation of 'flip' vs 'slam'!

Back