Specialized Turbo Vado SL: An Incredible E-Bike (User Club)

I have a question, in case there's any advice. I would like to reduce the reach a little and that is quite complicated given the futureshock. Before going ahead, does anyone know if that would make the steering unstable? As you can see, steering control is fairly important on these tracks.
I would first try to adjust your seat....which has some limited ability to slide front to back.....and see if this is sufficient.
A "shorter" stem would also provide the relief that you seek....but as you already know....this is complicated by the monies that you have spent on a Future Shock stem. I am not familiar with how the FutureShock is mounted. I bought the Vado 4.0 which has a standard stem and I did replace it with a RedShift suspension stem.....and this type of stem is available in differing lengths and degrees of angle....enabling a rider to have more/less 'reach'. Certainly your bike could be modified in a similar way....but it would be nice if you could do so and keep your (already paid for) suspension stem system.

If the seat alone doesn't work for you.....changing your grips might also provide some (limited) reach relief. Of the few mods that I did on my Vado SL 4.0......the change to Ergon GP3 grips is my favorite. These grips have 'horns' which are surprisingly stable....and the palm rests that they provide extend back more than expected. A combination of a grip such as this one....and seat adjustment might be enough to 'do the trick' (if you are lucky).

Beautiful photos!!....and thanks for the whisky! That terrain is beautiful but I am surprised that you chose the Vado SL to enjoy it. Perhaps I am a wimp....but my Vado SL rides mostly on smooth-ish asphalt and some occasional gravel to ensure that my teeth remain intact. I can tell you that by necessity I put 700x42 tires on my Vado SL and it REALLY softened the ride compared to the 38's that come OEM. I believe that you could even go a bit larger and it would REALLY be more comfortable on that Scottish terrain that you photographed.

Last edited:
I've been reading some articles about the best way to shift with mid-drive e-bikes. One commentator said this:
"Never lug the bike with slow pedaling up a steep hill."
Apparently because it stresses and can damage the motor. Just curious if this is a real issue with the Vado SL? Perhaps because the SL motor is less powerful this is not a real concern. With an analogue bike I would typically shift to a higher gear and stand up for a bit to give my legs and body a break. Would doing something similar be a mistake with the Vado SL?
Exactly as @mfgrep said. The SL 1.1 motor is totally inefficient at low cadence (you can feel it!) as the motor needs to spin to deliver. My strategy while approaching a climb is to downshift a little prior to the climb, get at cadence > 80 rpm and maintain the momentum. I love watching the cadence meter on such climbs! As I can see the cadence dropping, I momentarily stop pedalling and downshift more. And more. And more. At some moment I pedal ridiculously fast (cadence 90-100) but that's effortless! You can actually feel the motor is doing its best at that high cadence! I can even do local overpasses (4.2% grade) unpowered if I like. (I could do a 10% climb on raw cobblestone, too but that was the 44-36T gear and SL Turbo).

I have never left my saddle on any climb so far.

Riding out of saddle on an e-bike is bad for your knees and drivetrain in the first place. It does not affect the motor.

I am not familiar with how the FutureShock is mounted.
FutureShock requires Specialized stems made for the FutureShock. I do not think you can install any shorter stem on Vado SL 5.0, that's why I could not give @RJWatt42 any answer. He could talk to a bike-fitter at a good Specialized store (they have a drawer full of compatible stems).

FutureShock requires Specialized stems made for the FutureShock. I do not think you can install any shorter stem on Vado SL 5.0, that's why I could not give @RJWatt42 any answer. He could talk to a bike-fitter at a good Specialized store (they have a drawer full of compatible stems).
Ya I recall something 'special' about that Future Shock fitment. Thanks.
That Vado SL....I'm in love with it. It took me 400-500 miles to get it 'right' for me. New pedals, grips, stem, and mirror....and a lot of fitment adjustments. Now I just get on it and it just feels so 'right' every time. Broke through the 1000 miles at odometer last week.
I had a family event/death mid August which threw me off of my 100 mile per week goal....but I rode as time allowed through that period. Now I'm through the personal/family stuff but I am still finding it hard to consistently keep 100 miles per week going. Might lower my 'goal' to 75 miles lol. I rode Sunday, Monday, and yesterday racking up about 50 miles....and purposefully took today off. This is my first day off that I thought to myself "my muscles need a rest". I didn't fight it.

Its going to be a long winter.

Hope you are doing well Stefan!

Hope you are doing well Stefan!
I do not complain :) Never have asked the dealer for help during the first two year warranty term. Updated the firmware only post-warranty.

1695242413600.png

It does not include other people who rode my Vado SL for a couple of hundred kilometres more.

Sorry to hear about the sad events in your family though.

It has occurred to me right now.

Did you notice Specialized missed a "flat handlebars gravel e-bike" from its offer? I mean an e-bike similar to the Diverge EVO, an analog flat handlebars gravel bike.

1696458167882.png

Well... I'd say the Vado SL 5.0 unequipped would check almost all the boxes for the e-bike type.
1696458285123.png

Yes, the geometry is not exactly the same but...
1696458421131.png

Analysis: https://bikeinsights.com/compare?geometries=61ad29ce67906f001c4ee263,5ef53633e56c790017f2aea5

What do you think?

Did you notice Specialized missed a "flat handlebars gravel e-bike" from its offer? I mean an e-bike similar to the Diverge EVO, an analog flat handlebars gravel bike.

View attachment 163949

Well... I'd say the Vado SL 5.0 unequipped would check almost all the boxes for the e-bike type.
View attachment 163950

View attachment 163951
Analysis: https://bikeinsights.com/compare?geometries=61ad29ce67906f001c4ee263,5ef53633e56c790017f2aea5

What do you think?
Well, the tires are not 100 psi road tires and they are reasonably wide and have tread so definitely not a problem for gravel.

So it can function as a hybrid/commuter and gravel bike.

View attachment 163949

View attachment 163950

View attachment 163951

What do you think?
Either the SL4 or SL5 can be good flat bar gravel bikes. The 4 will be better with a ShockStop stem and perhaps seat post (brand choice open). The default Nimbus tires on the EQ models may be ok on dirt roads but you’ll need more traction elsewhere. Use lower pressures, tubeless if you can will help.
I’ve done lots of riding on Loudoun County Virginia’s numerous gravel roads and the C&O trail on my SL4 EQ with no problem, though I did crash on one of my early rides due to excessive speed and other dumb actions.
A thorough cleaning after the ride is very important for any bike on dusty gravel. Mud makes cleaning mandatory.

Either the SL4 or SL5 can be good flat bar gravel bikes. The 4 will be better with a ShockStop stem and perhaps seat post (brand choice open). The default Nimbus tires on the EQ models may be ok on dirt roads but you’ll need more traction elsewhere. Use lower pressures, tubeless if you can will help.
I’ve done lots of riding on Loudoun County Virginia’s numerous gravel roads and the C&O trail on my SL4 EQ with no problem, though I did crash on one of my early rides due to excessive speed and other dumb actions.
A thorough cleaning after the ride is very important for any bike on dusty gravel. Mud makes cleaning mandatory.
I use Pathfinder Pro 2Bliss, which are proper gravel tyres. However, "gravel cycling" here means a lot of offroad, so my choice for next Spring would be Rhombus Pro.

Did anybody say you could fit 42 mm tyres with Vado SL fenders?

I use Pathfinder Pro 2Bliss, which are proper gravel tyres. However, "gravel cycling" here means a lot of offroad, so my choice for next Spring would be Rhombus Pro.

Did anybody say you could fit 42 mm tyres with Vado SL fenders?
Specialized claims 38mm with fenders, 42mm without.

Potentially one might do 42 with fenders if okay with lesser clearance, and it may depend on the tread pattern.

Specialized claims 38mm with fenders, 42mm without.

Potentially one might do 42 with fenders if okay with lesser clearance, and it may depend on the tread pattern.

I understand that some riders will require fenders. For my use(s) those fenders cause a lot of problems.....both in limiting tire size(s) or tread and in soundly mounting the bicycle to a platform car rack.
Again...I understand that some folks need fenders for their terrain/climate....but I'm sure glad that I'm not dealing with them.

I understand that some riders will require fenders. For my use(s) those fenders cause a lot of problems.....both in limiting tire size(s) or tread and in soundly mounting the bicycle to a platform car rack.
Again...I understand that some folks need fenders for their terrain/climate....but I'm sure glad that I'm not dealing with them.
I could remove the rear fender but then I don't know how to relocate the tail-light and where to mount it.

The front fender is the one that poses the most problems with the typical platform style car rack.
For me, the front fender was making my forest rides impossible because of frequent blocking the front wheel by little twigs (that could end up in the Over-The-Bars). Removed at the first opportunity and replaced with an AssSaver.

The long rear fender mudflap was a liability when transporting Vado SL in a station wagon. I've kept the rear fender but removed the mudflap.

For me, the front fender was making my forest rides impossible because of frequent blocking the front wheel by little twigs (that could end up in the Over-The-Bars). Removed at the first opportunity and replaced with an AssSaver.

The long rear fender mudflap was a liability when transporting Vado SL in a station wagon. I've kept the rear fender but removed the mudflap.
I chose the EQ model because I wanted the rack and the fender mounted taillights. I didn’t know about the problems with the saddle mounted taillight at the time, but it seems I may have lucked out on the annoying confusion a seatpost replacement would cause others.

I mostly ride on paved rail trails but I have experienced stuff getting stuck between the front fender and the wheel. (Mostly wind blown leaves and branches in the fall.) It hasn’t been as severe as what Stefan has described, but it can range between annoyingly noisy to downright scary. I appreciate why Stefan removed the offending fender.

Specialized touts the water deflecting powers of the fender flaps. I guess it works, but since I avoid riding in the rain and definitely try to avoid puddles (I’m not 15 anymore) they don’t get much chance to show off. I have noticed that the flaps catch on things like curbs, my clumsy feet and so forth, so removing them can make sense for some folks.

This brings me to a significant lesson I’ve learned in the three plus years I’ve been riding my Vado SL. It took me a long time to accept that this expensive bicycle might not perfectly fit my needs and would need modifications. That I could change components beyond using different tires or saddles. I wasn’t comfortable with this concept not having ridden bikes for so many years before the Vado.

These forums have definitely given me an appreciation for a whole culture about which I was not familiar. Who knows, I might even remove a fender flap.

I chose the EQ model because I wanted the rack and the fender mounted taillights. I didn’t know about the problems with the saddle mounted taillight at the time, but it seems I may have lucked out on the annoying confusion a seatpost replacement would cause others.

I mostly ride on paved rail trails but I have experienced stuff getting stuck between the front fender and the wheel. (Mostly wind blown leaves and branches in the fall.) It hasn’t been as severe as what Stefan has described, but it can range between annoyingly noisy to downright scary. I appreciate why Stefan removed the offending fender.

Specialized touts the water deflecting powers of the fender flaps. I guess it works, but since I avoid riding in the rain and definitely try to avoid puddles (I’m not 15 anymore) they don’t get much chance to show off. I have noticed that the flaps catch on things like curbs, my clumsy feet and so forth, so removing them can make sense for some folks.

This brings me to a significant lesson I’ve learned in the three plus years I’ve been riding my Vado SL. It took me a long time to accept that this expensive bicycle might not perfectly fit my needs and would need modifications. That I could change components beyond using different tires or saddles. I wasn’t comfortable with this concept not having ridden bikes for so many years before the Vado.

These forums have definitely given me an appreciation for a whole culture about which I was not familiar. Who knows, I might even remove a fender flap.
I have only had the Vado SL since June but can relate.
I bought the non EQ because (a) the non EQ was already the most expensive bike that I had ever purchased and (b) I didn't see the sense in having fenders on the bike. At that time I was completely unaware of the differing drivetrain and gears....of the FutureShock etc. I did observe that they put a more street oriented tire on the EQ bike. I didn't fully understand that the rear rack was integrated with the fenders. In my case it seemed that I knew far more about the Vado SL when compared to my salesman.....but that is another story. Back in June the non EQ 4.0 was on a steep discount at $2499US so I jumped at it. I'm glad I did.

I'm not a kid anymore either and I didn't/don't plan on riding in the rain. I have, however, been caught in heavy rains more than once. I still didn't miss having the fenders....I'd have been soaked either way. It happens.

This is all a learning process and I was up for the challenge. This forum helped me to become more knowledgeable, however, I was still a 'babe in the woods' at my time of purchase. There are things that I just hadn't realized prior and I will definitely be a more educated consumer should I purchase another bike in the future.

I added flat pedals, grips with horns, and a RedShift suspension stem to the bike (and re-routed my headlamp due to the stem replacement). That is all that I have done and I am 98% happy with the bike as it is.
I don't miss fenders whatsoever and the inclusion of fenders prevented me from the ability to utilize a platform car rack safely/soundly although I now know that there are ways to overcome this. Though subjective I also prefer the naked look of a bike without fenders....that's just a 'me' thing. The rear light on the non EQ prevents me from easily installing a dropper post, however, I have found the OEM seat to be quite comfortable...and with the suspension stem added I no longer feel a strong need for the dropper post. I like that rear seat-light functionality and I do not wish to delete it.....I feel safer with it as-is.

I would have appreciated a Spesh OEM rear rack solution for the Non EQ Vado SL. As discussed, without the rear fender the OEM rack requires a top mount solution. There are of course solutions to this but none have yet jumped out at me as the right solution for my needs. As colder weather is upon us I now, for the first time, really feel that a rear rack could be useful to me. The bike is darn close to perfect for me...and I realize that any new bike will require some add-on bits and customizations as us riders are all different.

All in all.....especially given my naivety at the time of purchase.....I am quite pleased with my Vado SL 4.0.

The seat on my 5.0 SL non EQ is excellent.

I do wish the rear light had the ability to blink.

I run an additional blinking rear light so no deal breaker.

The seat on my 5.0 SL non EQ is excellent.

I do wish the rear light had the ability to blink.

I run an additional blinking rear light so no deal breaker.

Ya...to my surprise I like the saddle too! Took about a week to get accustomed to but I find it downright comfortable.

Yes....the rear light should have blink option(s). The front light should have on/off capability too. That front light gets HOT and quickly!
One would think that this functionality could easily have been integrated with the Mission Control or Specialized phone application (and should have been so!)

Back