Specialized Turbo Vado SL: An Incredible E-Bike (User Club)

For a Vado SL EQ it's probably 700x38
Exactly, it is the ETRTO size 38-622 (700x38c).

Specialized Pathfinder Pro 2Bliss Ready is a good tire - and it supports being used tubeless (2bliss) if you wish to go that way sometime, or you can continue to use a tube.
I find it an excellent tyre, and use it tubed.

The Pathfinder Sport is also pretty decent
That's correct as well!

Vlenda, not sure what country you are from but always ask your Specialized LBS (to buy or order from them) or visit specialized.com for your country for online order.

Vado SL EQ is by default delivered with these tyres in size 700x38, inexpensive:

So the other day I was pretty far into a ride on my SL4 when I got a call and had to get back fast. I don't typically use Turbo but switched it on and put as much of my own power to the pedals. Well, after a couple miles of about 600w combined Blevo announced my motor hit 150F (65c). Ambient temp was about 95f (35c) so pretty hot day. I don't have Blevo setup to show motor temp on main screen and didn't have time to investigate but made me really nervous about my motor. I went back to Eco for the remaining miles and never got another warning. I think it was just announcement from Blevo because the bike would still go into Turbo mode. Does anyone know if SL Firmware will shut or slow motor to protect itself and what temperature that might be? I looked around a bit but didn't see anything.

Other thing - I serviced my cassette with the wheel off the other day and forgot to re-engage the derailleur clutch. Well, about 30 miles into my next ride my chain came off and wedged between chainring and frame. Couldn't get it out but finally was able to use plastic tire levers to flex the chainring just enough to pull out chain. Suprised ring flexed that much but learned two lessons that day. Don't forget your to re-engage clutch after wheel svc and it really works.
Can you explain a bit more about how you got the chain ring to flex? Did you use more than one lever, and what brand/type of lever was it? Having spent 20 minutes getting a stuck chain ring out this would be useful information.

Can you explain a bit more about how you got the chain ring to flex? Did you use more than one lever, and what brand/type of lever was it? Having spent 20 minutes getting a stuck chain ring out this would be useful information.
Hey MJ

It's just a typical tire removal tool. I think any brand with a bit of an angle would work but in this case it's a Park lever. And - obviously my chain is back on so it's a bit difficult to show you exactly how I got the chain out but just put the lever between frame and ring and apply pressure and it will move mm or two. And that's about all you need to pull chain out. Sorry about the dirt - bike is typically clean but no time lately.

Attachments

• 20230715_095534.jpg
    20230715_095534.jpg
    380.1 KB · Views: 116
  • 20230715_095549.jpg
    20230715_095549.jpg
    200.5 KB · Views: 123
Hey MJ

It's just a typical tire removal tool. I think any brand with a bit of an angle would work but in this case it's a Park lever. And - obviously my chain is back on so it's a bit difficult to show you exactly how I got the chain out but just put the lever between frame and ring and apply pressure and it will move mm or two. And that's about all you need to pull chain out. Sorry about the dirt - bike is typically clean but no time lately.
Thanks again. I got the Park levers a couple a days ago, and wouldn't you know my chain dropped today. Probably my fault as I meant to downshift to an easier gear but pressed down on the upshift lever which is closer to my thumb instead of the downshift lever (SRAM upshift is counterintuitive) and then quickly hit the downshift and the chain came off. The Park lever did help but it still took a while since once I freed a bunch of chain more was stuck between the ring and the frame. Really an annoying design defect. Someone else on this site has ordered the Creo SL chain guide to see if he can get it to fit on the Vado SL. Apparently the only issue is the need for a longer bolt than the one that comes with the Creo SL chain guide.

I've got a Creo SL chain guide laying in waiting for a Garbaruk chainring to arrive, which should be soon. As soon as it does, I'll give this a go and post up my results.

@Herc welcome to the Vado SL thread. Here you can ask owners of the lightweight Specialized e-bike what they think 😊

Two Strava E-Bike KOMs, Day After Day, On A Vado SL!

Strava subscribers can create E-Bike or E-MTB Segments to compete there. Even if that is meaningless (the stronger/faster e-bike should win), I made several E-Bike Segments on Strava. In case I have achieved something on an e-bike segment (not only mine!) I am notified post-ride.

Approximately a year ago, I created an E-Bike Segment in my neighbourhood. It is a 2.17 km long segment with a 12 m overpass and three bends:

1690908489152.png

Koszajec - Moszna (e-bike) Strava Segment.

Once the segment had been created, I rode my full power Vado there at high speed and that was the Course Record of that time. I was sure I could not beat my own record but...

Yesterday (July 31st 2023) I was riding on my Vado SL with just the main battery, and the Tailwind pannier. As the traffic was exceptionally scarce, I was riding fast in Turbo mode home by road (not by the bike path along). As I was approaching the segment, I started pedalling hard and fast, adjusting the gears as needed for the climb. I had a strong cross-wind from west. I felt it was a fast ride. Upon checking Strava, it turned out I beat my own KOM record for the course! On a Vado SL! Well well well...

This morning (August 1st 2023), I was leisurely riding home after having breakfast at a local service stations. I was riding the main road in Sport mode. When I saw the overpass at a distance, I dreamingly pushed the Turbo button on my Vado SL... and accelerated mightily! When I reached the segment start, I was already riding at 41-42 km/h! When climbing, I only downshifted one then two gears and started spinning the crank! The descent corner was dangerous a little bit but I pedalled even harder! When I was on a slight ascent on the last straight, I noticed my leg power approaching 300 W! Slowing down just before the roundabout, I was almost sure I made it!

1690909356120.png

That was what my Wahoo said...

1690909419568.png
\
That was what Strava said...

1690909487707.png

I could beat my record of yesterday! On a Vado SL! Average speed 40.9 km/h!

I was twelve seconds faster today! (Perhaps the SSW wind helped! Haha!)

1690909557888.png

1690909597121.png

It is very hard to beat your own CR & KOM...

1690909665578.png

Vado SL: An Incredible E-Bike. It was better than the full power Vado 6.0!

@mfgrep: The thread has been found :)

Last edited:
Stefan,
What happened to the posts in this forum between July 24 and today? I recall that Sanyata posted photos of his retrofit of the Creo Sl chain guide onto his Vado SL, something that would be of interest to those of us who have had their chain drop and get stuck between the chairing and the motor housing.
Thanks,
Marty

Stefan,
What happened to the posts in this forum between July 24 and today? I recall that Sanyata posted photos of his retrofit of the Creo Sl chain guide onto his Vado SL, something that would be of interest to those of us who have had their chain drop and get stuck between the chairing and the motor housing.
Thanks,
Marty
Hi Marty,
I guess only the Administrator knows it...
I can understand that the EBR had to change the internet host but why upset the Forum structure?

I was unable to access the forum from the saved bookmark I have been using. I had to go to the EBR site and then the Specialized Forum and then this sub forum in order to get a link that worked. There may be people that won't know to do that. You posted a "Welcome to the Forum" message on July 25th. At the time it seemed odd as it didn't seem relevant to a current discussion. Do you know for a fact that EBR had to change the internet host?

Thanks again. I got the Park levers a couple a days ago, and wouldn't you know my chain dropped today. Probably my fault as I meant to downshift to an easier gear but pressed down on the upshift lever which is closer to my thumb instead of the downshift lever (SRAM upshift is counterintuitive) and then quickly hit the downshift and the chain came off. The Park lever did help but it still took a while since once I freed a bunch of chain more was stuck between the ring and the frame. Really an annoying design defect. Someone else on this site has ordered the Creo SL chain guide to see if he can get it to fit on the Vado SL. Apparently the only issue is the need for a longer bolt than the one that comes with the Creo SL chain guide.
Here's what I posted in the other thread:
I installed the Creo SL Chain Guide today on my Vado SL. The Vado SL's motor mounting bolt hole is recessed too deep for the chain guide to simply bolt on as the guide is larger than the hole and the frame doesn't have a flat surface either. I had two nylon spacers laying around and they were a perfect fit for making a standoff to mount the bracket. The space between the chainring backside and the guide is maybe 2mm at best which should stop a dropped chain from lodging down between the frame and the chainring. I might tweak the top of the guide down a tad for a closer fit but I'm going to wait a bit to see if that's necessary.

Attachments

• Spacers.jpg
    Spacers.jpg
    178.7 KB · Views: 104
  • Motor Hole.jpg
    Motor Hole.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 103
  • Installed.jpg
    Installed.jpg
    145.3 KB · Views: 102
  • Angle View.jpg
    Angle View.jpg
    139.1 KB · Views: 120
  • Installed w_Chaniring.jpg
    Installed w_Chaniring.jpg
    228.2 KB · Views: 111
Just a test to see if forum posts are showing up, as the last one I see was from 5 days ago. I gather there have been some issues regarding Court's migration of the forums.

The Vado SL EQ Rear Rack Story

It reads "15 kg max" on the Racktime rear rack of the 2020 Vado SL 4.0 EQ. While I do not overload the rack on my recreation rides, I do so on the grocery shopping trips. And I used to overload the rear rack very much, like 23 kg gross split into two panniers. Additionally, there used to be crashes on my Vado SL, with the Tailwind pannier attached to the right hand side of the rack.

Two mornings ago, I noticed the rack got bent to the level the right hand side edge of the integrated mudguard moved to the left as far as it was above the central tread of the rear tyre and rubbing it! The Racktime got bent too much! I temporarily solved the issue by removing one of the screws that mounted the rack, and fixed the area with a strong tape. This afternoon, I pedalled to my brother who can fix almost anything.

He removed the rack, gave it a critical eye and looked worried. He told me the geometry of the rack got skewed so much he could not fix the rack whatever he tried. Yes, he partly straightened the thing but noticed a crack in one of the rack tubes.

Eventually, I gave Specialized Warsaw a phone call. Yes, there were two spare racks at the warehouse. The part costs around US$115. Sigh...

The Vado SL EQ Rear Rack Story

It reads "15 kg max" on the Racktime rear rack of the 2020 Vado SL 4.0 EQ. While I do not overload the rack on my recreation rides, I do so on the grocery shopping trips. And I used to overload the rear rack very much, like 23 kg gross split into two panniers. Additionally, there used to be crashes on my Vado SL, with the Tailwind pannier attached to the right hand side of the rack.

Two mornings ago, I noticed the rack got bent to the level the right hand side edge of the integrated mudguard moved to the left as far as it was above the central tread of the rear tyre and rubbing it! The Racktime got bent too much! I temporarily solved the issue by removing one of the screws that mounted the rack, and fixed the area with a strong tape. This afternoon, I pedalled to my brother who can fix almost anything.

He removed the rack, gave it a critical eye and looked worried. He told me the geometry of the rack got skewed so much he could not fix the rack whatever he tried. Yes, he partly straightened the thing but noticed a crack in one of the rack tubes.

Eventually, I gave Specialized Warsaw a phone call. Yes, there were two spare racks at the warehouse. The part costs around US$115. Sigh...
Thanks for the warning!

I'm lurking on a second hand range extender. 250€ but the owner claims he already accomplished 16 charge cycles. Do you think it's a good deal? Should I avoid buying one not brand new? Thanks in advance for your insights!

Last edited:
Thanks for the warning!

I'm lurking on a second hand range extender. 250€ but the owner claims he already accomplished 16 charge cycles. Do you think it's a good deal? Should I avoid buying one not brand new? Thanks in advance for your insights!
The price is excellent. The use is minimal. I would only think 'did that guy ever drop the battery?' I hope not!
Get the rubber band from him, too. He also owes you a Specialized Zee II cage (both are parts of the RE delivery).

Are you buying the SL Road Cable and the SL Y Cable?

The price is excellent. The use is minimal. I would only think 'did that guy ever drop the battery?' I hope not!
Get the rubber band from him, too. He also owes you a Specialized Zee II cage (both are parts of the RE delivery).

Are you buying the SL Road Cable and the SL Y Cable?
1692296222941.png
It
1692296246505.png

It doesn't seem the rubber band is included, nor is the cage. If I finally purchase it, I'll probably try to get my hand on a Y cable indeed.

View attachment 160584It View attachment 160585

It doesn't seem the rubber band is included, nor is the cage. If I finally purchase it, I'll probably try to get my hand on a Y cable indeed.
Buy it. Does the seller provide the cable?

The rubber band is just a gimmick. The correct cage is Specialized Zee Cage II (left). I could have never understood why Left but this is how it works 🤣

Congratulations! Have you already connected the RE and checked the status with Mission Control?

The rubber band is just a gimmick. The correct cage is Specialized Zee Cage II (left). I could have never understand why Left but this is how it works 🤣
I had bought yet until a few seconds. It should arrive next week :)
The cage is around 20€ from what I found. Quite decent (especially for a specialized item XD). Yeah, I figured I could easily find a substitute for the rubber.

I've recently got my suspension stem from Redshift and tried your configuration with the handlebar as low as possible, with the stem at -6°. Even though I really like this position for performance, I think I won't be able to maintain it on long rides. It just ruins my neck. I'll try a middle position for my next ride and may go back to the original set-up if not conclusive. Thanks again for all the inspiration and advises Stefan! You rock :)

I'll try a middle position for my next ride and may go back to the original set-up if not conclusive.
+6 degrees could be good for you!
Sorry to hear about your neck ache!

I think you will be delighted with the extra range the RE gives. What is your primary assistance setting for long range rides?

Back