Specialized Turbo Vado SL: An Incredible E-Bike (User Club)

For those with a Vado SL EQ with a rear fender light-Occasionally check to make sure the red lens cover is securely fastened. After a bumpy ride, my rear fender light looked like this. The light was still functional though. I checked with the LBS and they said the only solution was to replace the entire light at a cost of about $30.
I contacted the OEM (Lezyne) via their website and asked if I could buy a replacement lens cover. Lezyne said that the lens cover could not be purchased because of waterproof issues but they would sent me a complete replacement light for free. The OEM version of the light does not have the Specialized power connectors for the cable however. Rather than splice in the new light, I was able to remove the cover using laptop pry tools. The cover was secured to the base with what seemed like a rubber cement. I pressed the new cover onto the old light base firmly and ran a narrow strip of red electrical tape around the perimeter of the lens and base to hold it in place. I'm red in the rear again thanks to Lezyne's customer support team. I also have a spare light and base if the old one fails.

View attachment 153358
my rear light fell off not long after i got the bike. it was an expensive repair due to the labor cost of re-routing the wire though the down tube where the battery is. i have reinforced the plastic red cover with clear tape... if i lose it again, i will buy the replacement light and do a super glue fix.. the red lens cover should not come off!!

Hello Vado people :)
Because I usually can't trust myself, I'd like to make sure I got this right. I'm planning on getting a full frame bag for bikepacking and was kinda interested in the apidura one. With the shown figures in here (https://www.apidura.com/shop/expedition-full-frame-pack/) it seems the 12L one would be the best fit. But I wondered if anyone was familiar with those bags and if there was any chance that the 14L could work in some way. Two more liters for just 30 more grams sounds awesome. Thanks in advance for your insight!

Hiya, if you have a Vado SL it’ll depend on the frame size as there’s not a lot of space in the triangle. Especially on smaller sizes. Pretty cramped even in my medium. Plus remember the down tube is very wide with battery inside and the straps might not be long enough to go round. I use a small cut off design of frame bag - it runs under the top tube but still leaves bottle cages there. I doubled up the Velcro straps to go around the down tube. Hope this is helpful.

Hiya, if you have a Vado SL it’ll depend on the frame size as there’s not a lot of space in the triangle. Especially on smaller sizes. Pretty cramped even in my medium. Plus remember the down tube is very wide with battery inside and the straps might not be long enough to go round. I use a small cut off design of frame bag - it runs under the top tube but still leaves bottle cages there. I doubled up the Velcro straps to go around the down tube. Hope this is helpful.
I do have an SL one, L sized. I find the triangle of the frame quite decent. Yeah, the downtube will require some tweaks for sure.
Could you please share pictures of your setup?

Here are the measures I took with some cardboard. I know the 14L version of the apidura frame bag exceeds them, hence why I wanted to know if anyone was familiar with those and could tell me if it's reasonable or not to get the larger version. I'm sure I can fit it in, but I'm concerned that the eventual folds may damage the bag on the long run. I'm tempted to think that it's still a decent way to grab a couple liters of capacity (even though it's via width) for very little extra weight. But it'll surely look ugly (vs a slick right fitting 12L version) and may affect performances (little extra drag?)

Attachments

• 352700044_271549265389240_6444541693372738288_n.jpg
    352700044_271549265389240_6444541693372738288_n.jpg
    271.2 KB · Views: 72
I do have an SL one, L sized. I find the triangle of the frame quite decent. Yeah, the downtube will require some tweaks for sure.
Could you please share pictures of your setup?

Here are the measures I took with some cardboard. I know the 14L version of the apidura frame bag exceeds them, hence why I wanted to know if anyone was familiar with those and could tell me if it's reasonable or not to get the larger version. I'm sure I can fit it in, but I'm concerned that the eventual folds may damage the bag on the long run. I'm tempted to think that it's still a decent way to grab a couple liters of capacity (even though it's via width) for very little extra weight. But it'll surely look ugly (vs a slick right fitting 12L version) and may affect performances (little extra drag?)
Here's my one, it's a podsacs made by Planet X & here's a link to the online shop so you can see dimensions etc. I deliberately got the half size so I could still have bottles or range extender. But even so it still feels cramped as the top tube curves towards the head tube. But you'll have more space in the front triangle in size L for sure.

IMG_6910.jpeg

IMG_7891.jpeg
IMG_7937.jpeg

Here's my one, it's a podsacs made by Planet X & here's a link to the online shop so you can see dimensions etc. I deliberately got the half size so I could still have bottles or range extender. But even so it still feels cramped as the top tube curves towards the head tube. But you'll have more space in the front triangle in size L for sure.

View attachment 155502
View attachment 155500View attachment 155503
Damn, it's super classy in black! Thanks for sharing. The frame surely looks quite smaller.

Sad update on my acquistion of a Vado SL 4.0. Ordered the bike through an Atlanta dealer over 3 weeks ago and was told it would arrive in 7 to 10 days. Was told multiple times it should arrive in a couple days. Late last week I finally had a date and was told by the LBS that it would arrive Tuesday of this week. Early on the LBS said they would give me a tracking number. Never received a tracking number. Today I found out it hasn't even shipped even though the bike is in stock and is in the warehouse. Each time I've inquired about it, the LBS said they needed to "track down" the bike. There is no world in which it should take a month to get an in-stock item from a warehouse in one part of the lower 48 to a dealer in some other part of the lower 48. Cancelled the order -- I'm not giving business to a LBS that's just doesn't seem very interested in its customers. During the sales process I received prompt and quick responses to my emails. After they received my money, its been taking 2-3 days before I get a reply. No longer have a warm and fuzzy feeling about the transaction. The sales person at this particular LBS was very effective and I chose to place my order with that shop rather than another shop which actually HAD the bike in the color and size I wanted. Now the size and color is not available locally anywhere. I'm going to pull back from this whole thing for the moment and re-evaluate, essentially starting over. What a clusterfuck. :(

Sad update on my acquistion of a Vado SL 4.0. Ordered the bike through an Atlanta dealer over 3 weeks ago and was told it would arrive in 7 to 10 days. Was told multiple times it should arrive in a couple days. Late last week I finally had a date and was told by the LBS that it would arrive Tuesday of this week. Early on the LBS said they would give me a tracking number. Never received a tracking number. Today I found out it hasn't even shipped even though the bike is in stock and is in the warehouse. Each time I've inquired about it, the LBS said they needed to "track down" the bike. There is no world in which it should take a month to get an in-stock item from a warehouse in one part of the lower 48 to a dealer in some other part of the lower 48. Cancelled the order -- I'm not giving business to a LBS that's just doesn't seem very interested in its customers. During the sales process I received prompt and quick responses to my emails. After they received my money, its been taking 2-3 days before I get a reply. No longer have a warm and fuzzy feeling about the transaction. The sales person at this particular LBS was very effective and I chose to place my order with that shop rather than another shop which actually HAD the bike in the color and size I wanted. Now the size and color is not available locally anywhere. I'm going to pull back from this whole thing for the moment and re-evaluate, essentially starting over. What a clusterfuck. :(
How about the online order and Specialized Delivery?

Stefan, I'm not sure where the disconnects were on the order -- whether they were with Specialized, with the LBS, or with both. The bike was in stock in a specialized warehouse but was never even shipped even after 3 weeks. It was going to be another week before I received the in-stock product -- after having been told I would have the bike in 7-10 days. So I'm just kind of soured on the experience right now, athough that might change if I can be convinced that the product (specifically the Vado SL) ticks all the boxes for me in a way that no other product on the market does. Right now I'm just frustrated and disappointed. The actual "problem" was never really explained to me except for oblique references to the fact that we're dealing with "Specialized." I'm not knocking the product -- I have a carbon frame Sirrus that I still ride that I bought at 15 years ago and I love that bike. But another thing that has been puzzling me here in Atlanta is that Specialized leased space for a huge corporate "experience center" here in Atlanta. It was supposed to open early this year but the opening date was postponed several times and they're no longer giving a date for the actual opening. It still sits closed with all kinds of marketing material over the windows at the site. I was really disappointed because I thought this was going to be a huge space where the brand could really showcase its products, but you can't even see into the space. I emailed the "experience center" in Atlanta -- theres a website and email address for it -- to get an idea of when or if they will finally open. NO RESPONSE TO THAT EMAIL. Its just frustrating. I thought with going with a brand like Specialized I would always be able to get accurate information about stock levels and prompt service if I need parts for example, but if they can't even ship me a bike when its in the warehouse, do I really want to support the brand? One other thing that disturbs me is Specialized's pricing on the Vado 4.0 SL (not the EQ version). Right now the price is a sale price -- $3K -- for what I still believe is a premium product, so I think there is value there at that price. But the "regular" price of the Vado SL 4.0 is now 3750, so when the SL comes out with the new 1.2 motor the bike will likely be close to $4K which, when you look at the stripped down Vado SL 4.0, I'm wondering if there's real value in the product at that price. So I'm rambling a little bit here. Just mostly disappointed at the inept treatment I received.

After another week of looking at and riding other options and considering one or two direct to consumer manufacturers, it was clear to me that the SL was pretty much the best option for me just because it felt like "my idea" of a real bike whereas all the heavier bikes felt really kind of plodding and well, heavy. Keep in mind I've been riding a carbon frame sirrus for about 15 years so that Sirrus is what I'm used to. Specialized also finally opened their "experience center" here in Atlanta. So YAY, late yesterday I DID buy and today took delivery of, a new Vado SL directly from the company experience center. I considered waiting for the 1.2 motor to arrive but with the sale price differential on the current model, I decided to go ahead. New member of the club. 👍

After another week of looking at and riding other options and considering one or two direct to consumer manufacturers, it was clear to me that the SL was pretty much the best option for me just because it felt like "my idea" of a real bike whereas all the heavier bikes felt really kind of plodding and well, heavy. Keep in mind I've been riding a carbon frame sirrus for about 15 years so that Sirrus is what I'm used to. Specialized also finally opened their "experience center" here in Atlanta. So YAY, late yesterday I DID buy and today took delivery of, a new Vado SL directly from the company experience center. I considered waiting for the 1.2 motor to arrive but with the sale price differential on the current model, I decided to go ahead. New member of the club. 👍
I'm so happy with your decision Wookie! It was June 23rd 2021 when I bought a Vado SL on the spot and it was one of my best decisions ever! A trouble free e-bike now approaching its 2nd anniversary, and my primary e-bike for an upcoming 160 mile gravel race! 😊 (Because of the light weight and excellent handling in rough terrain!)

Congratulations on your new ride! I have had my SL for over 2 years and have ridden it almost every day since as my commuter and taken it on multi day tours fully loaded and it has never missed a beat. On the rare occasions that I ride the bike without panniers it still surprises me how agile the bike is! Hope you have have many enjoyable miles ahead of you 👍.

I just ordered a Turbo Vado SL 4.0 (non-EQ) and was curious if Specialized sells a MIK compliant rack for this bike. Also, I'm not sure which fenders to order for the bike. I want the Dry-Tech fenders and assume the size is 40mm. Can someone confirm the fender size and the MIK rack?

Last edited:
I might check in with the new Specialized factory store on the Beltline near Krog St market. They appear to have stock and its a cool shop.

I want the Dry-Tech fenders and assume the size is 40mm. Can someone confirm the fender size and the MIK rack?
I cannot confirm it but the Dry Techs are not the best choice in my opinion. Their long mudflaps are troublesome.
Perhaps consider SKS Speedrockers, the best gravel bike fenders.

I cannot confirm it but the Dry Techs are not the best choice in my opinion. Their long mudflaps are troublesome.
Perhaps consider SKS Speedrockers, the best gravel bike fenders.
Really depends on your use case. There was a lot of continuous rainy days here this year. While I don't intentionally ride in the rain, there were plenty of in between times where the roads are still very wet and puddles abound. The dry techs do a fantastic job keeping the wet splatter to a minimum. In off road or other conditions where they may be branches, twigs or other small debris around the front fender does tend to pick them up and rattle around until I stop to clear it. Fortunately the front fender is easy to remove/install. I've removed my front fender on my 4.0EQ until the next rainy season.

I've removed my front fender on my 4.0EQ until the next rainy season.
I removed it permanently and replaced with an AssSaver. Good enough! I also had to remove the rear mudflap. If I need to transport my Vado SL in a small lift, I need to do it vertically. That damaged the Dry Tech rear fender mudflap.

Does anyone know the “factory” wheel circumference in mm for a Vado Turbo SL 5.0 2022 with stock Specialized Pathfinder Sport 700x38c tyres?

Back