Specialized Turbo Vado/Como/Tero/Tero X User Club

My LBS received a bunch of 2022 Vados and Comos in the past week or so. I assume you've been able to find bikes to test ride and hopefully purchase. I just bought a Vado 4.0 about 2 weeks ago and am loving it!
A 2022 Vado 3.0 in red showed up at a bike shop that is a full 4 hour round trip. I wish it was closer to test ride. If I was going to get one, that would probably be my best bet. But, I'm not cutting back on my work schedule this year as I was planning, so might hold off another year - still have an older hub drive e-bike I can ride for now.

@kahn: Open Mission Control (MC). Don't need to be connected to bike or have blue tooth on. Go to Diagnose, select Contact. Under the Mission Control text, I have 2.12.0 Build 112

I have a couple of the stem/handlebar garmin mounts that I don't use. One was in the uninstalled extra parts from my 4.0 SL eq. Since I didnt know what it was I just used a regular garmin mount and I'm fine with that. The second came with my Tero. They did put the mtn bike mount on for the Mastermind but also included the stem mount in the extra parts. So I don't use that one either. If you want one of them, let me know and I can mail them to you.
Sounds like the mount is interchangeable with Garmin quarter-turn? Interesting…

i appreciate your very kind offer. I’ve not yet purchased an ebike, though, so I’m unsure how I’ll outfit it.

i appreciate your very kind offer. I’ve not yet purchased an ebike, though, so I’m unsure how I’ll outfit it.
Yes, Specialized uses the same mount for their handlebar computer as Garmin

Since the bike may come with both the stem and handlebar mounts you can probably tell them how you want it when you order it. Agree with you that the stem mount with the cable routing looks much cleaner and I may swap mine in that way.

Does anyone know the part number for a spacer set that will fit the Specialized Flowset stem that comes on Vado/Como bikes? All I need is to add one 2.5mm but they are shaped oddly.

Does anyone know the part number for a spacer set that will fit the Specialized Flowset stem that comes on Vado/Como bikes? All I need is to add one 2.5mm but they are shaped oddly.

these are what specialized lists for the MY2020/2021 vado. seems like it's the same going back quite a few years.

stem.JPG

Since the bike may come with both the stem and handlebar mounts you can probably tell them how you want it when you order it. Agree with you that the stem mount with the cable routing looks much cleaner and I may swap mine in that way.
Good info.

Frankly though I plan to look into swapping the stem with a similar length/angle Bontrager Blendr compatible stem for a clean mounting solution for my Garmin and an ION 200 headlight (as blinking DRL) since that's what I use with my other bikes.

Of course that'd mean switching the spacers and potentially the top cover for the Tero versions, I'll have to see what's what. Should be interesting.

Last edited:
After getting some useful input from Art, Stefan, and others, I decided to go with a full-power Vado rather than an SL. I'm now the happy owner of a Vado 5.0 IGH. I've only ridden it the 5 miles home from the LBS, but I'm already loving it!

A few questions for the wisdom of this group:
  • Has anyone had luck contacting Specialized about issues? The Mode helmet I bought never showed up. I've tried calling a few times but get voicemail and have opened 2 support tickets over the last 4 days with no response.
  • I understand the belt drive is "maintenance-free". Is there anything I should be doing besides keeping the tires inflated? Any reason to bring it to the LBS on a regular cadence?
  • I'm planning to get a Thule Chariot trailer for my soon-to-be two kids. Will I need an adapter from Robert Axel Project?
  • I'm planning to run errands around town. Any lock recommendations? Any cargo crate recommendations for easy carrying of groceries?
  • Any safety recommendations? I have a high-vis vest I plan to wear all the time. Considering whether I should get a louder horn to replace the bell.
Thanks for the help!

Congratulations ColeWorld!

I cannot answer most of your questions. However, please register your new Vado at the Specialized website. Also, having ridden the Vado for 100-200 miles (but not later than 6 months post-purchase), you have to bring your e-bike to the LBS for the (paid) "warranty service". That fact has to be recorded in your Warranty Card. Both actions are necessary for keeping the warranty valid.

Safety measures: Get yourself a rear-view mirror now - it can save your life. I understand that your Vado is equipped with Varia radar but the mirror is a priceless safety measure anyway. Regarding bell/horn. I would suggest just replacing the Simple Bell with a very loud bell. Pedestrians (especially on multiple-use paths) are not used to the sound of the horn but know how the bike bell sounds. (I have learned slowing down dramatically in the presence of pedestrians, especially ones with dogs).

Question can the handle bar stem on the Vado be changed to an adjustable stem it looks oblong in the picture. I have bad shoulders and might need to vary the height on different types of rides

@ColeWorld Congrats on the bike. Can't answer the bike specific stuff other than to say that depending on riding, cables & bearings & brakes need periodic checks though less often than chain maintenance.

As for crates - either look for a MIK compatible crate or buy a MIK adapter plate to bolt to the bottom of your preferred crate. It's seemed there's not a lot of availability of MIK system stuff in the US outside of the Bontrager (Trek) branded stuff but perhaps I've been looking in the wrong spots. Start with https://www.mik-click.com/crates-for-mik/ and go from there. I'd also suggest looking at something with panniers to put heavy cargo lower for better stability.

Locks... that's a very deep rabbit hole. First thing to remember is that all locks can be defeated by a sufficiently motivated thief, particularly since the invention of battery powered angle grinders. How stoutly you'll need to lock the bike will depend on your environment. Small town middle of the day is a different level of threat than overnight in a large city or university campus.

Generally speaking though, stick with proper U-locks or folding locks or chains, preferably from established known brands such as Abus or Kryptonite. Avoid cables as the primary lock - though they're handy for secondary security such as your seat or front wheel. A good starting point video is at the bottom of this post.

Safety - another deep rabbit hole. Suffice to say, ride as if you're invisible and never assume someone else sees you. IMHO there's no reason for a horn, but I'm able to project my voice loudly without shouting. If on a multiuse path and overtaking someone I'll call out a friendly "Good morning!" or similar with enough advance notice to adjust my path based on what they do. On roads I'm a big fan of flashing lights in daytime - they tend to draw the eye and use less battery, thus lasting longer. I wish the built in lights had flashing capability, but that's not allowed in some markets so they don't (AFAIK).

Thank you @Stefan Mikes and @gpburdell! I have registered the bike on the Specialized website. However, I'm not seeing anything about a prescribed "warranty service". The only thing related to maintenance/servicing in the warranty paperwork is that the warranty is void under "Failure to performance maintenance or service at appropriate intervals in accordance with the written instructions provided." The Vado User Manual then has some general notes about maintenance but no specific schedule. Maybe this is a regional difference?

I've very surprised by the lack of MIK crates on the market. Seems there is only 1 brand, Basil, and they don't have a dealer near me. I'll have to look more into adapters. I've never ridden with panniers before - are they wide enough to be convenient for grocery hauling?

Thank you for the video on bike locks. I'm thinking I'll go with a U lock for my needs (suburban daytime locking).

Thank you @Stefan Mikes and @gpburdell! I have registered the bike on the Specialized website. However, I'm not seeing anything about a prescribed "warranty service". The only thing related to maintenance/servicing in the warranty paperwork is that the warranty is void under "Failure to performance maintenance or service at appropriate intervals in accordance with the written instructions provided." The Vado User Manual then has some general notes about maintenance but no specific schedule. Maybe this is a regional difference?

I've very surprised by the lack of MIK crates on the market. Seems there is only 1 brand, Basil, and they don't have a dealer near me. I'll have to look more into adapters. I've never ridden with panniers before - are they wide enough to be convenient for grocery hauling?

Thank you for the video on bike locks. I'm thinking I'll go with a U lock for my needs (suburban daytime locking).
Carrying groceries depends upon the size of the Panniers, of course. Banjo Brothers makes panniers for just that purpose. And they are way less expensive than most other brands.

I have two of their products. One has a waterproof cover and the other does not. They work as advertised.

It seems as if Trek has cornered the US market for MIK compatible accessories, as they use MIK racks on some of their ebikes as well. So you should be able to find some options at your local Trek dealer. Check out https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/MIK-system/

Personally though I'd probably just go with a folding milk crate and bolt on the adapter plate. Then just wheel your bike through the store like a boss, using the crate as your buggy. 😄

Panniers come in various sizes and shapes. The Specialized Tailwind panniers are supposed to be nice, albeit kinda spendy. The Specialized/Fjällräven Coolcave Pannier also seems neat in a keep-your-beers-on-ice-while-riding-to-the-beach sort of fashion. 🍻 REI also has a variety of options. All in all it depends on how much stuff you're planning to buy in a single grocery trip. Though if you're already planning a trailer maybe use that for your groceries?

Same here, registered bike with Specialized but don't see anything about required service to maintain warranty. Normally my LBS would do included minor tune-ups adjustments for free for the life of the bike. But with the click to collect model they do not. They didn't even put their bike shop sticker on it. Good news in the SF bay area is the Flex store sounds like they are ready to do mobile service. I'll probably call and ask about any required warranty service/inspection. I believe I would have to meet them somewhere within their service radius for any service work - but that should be doable. The Santa Cruz Experience people suggested that it would be at Peet's Coffee and they would spring for the drink while I wait.

Back