Specialized Turbo Vado/Como/Tero/Tero X User Club

Really enjoying the new Como, I don't want my ride to end! Does anyone know if there is a way to customize the display so that everything you want to see it on the same screen? Right now I have to change screens to see what I want, there are 4 items per screen so when I'm on MPH I also get stuff I don't need like Max MPH etc. I'd like to be able to see current speed and trip ODO on the same page. Maybe I'll be able to do it once I download Mission Control?

Attachments

• display.jpg
    display.jpg
    540.7 KB · Views: 152
Really enjoying the new Como, I don't want my ride to end! Does anyone know if there is a way to customize the display so that everything you want to see it on the same screen? Right now I have to change screens to see what I want, there are 4 items per screen so when I'm on MPH I also get stuff I don't need like Max MPH etc. I'd like to be able to see current speed and trip ODO on the same page. Maybe I'll be able to do it once I download Mission Control?
From the docs with my wireless version, the display can be changed although pressing and re-pressing those awful buttons is not something I feel like attempting.

@bigb : Download Mission Control. Connect it to your Como. If it is anything like my Tero, then select Tune>Customize Display. You will be presented with several customizable formats. showing up to 6 items at a time. Screens can also be added.

I just want to mention the number of data fields per a data page is limited by any cycling computer. The reason is good visibility on a small surface of the display.
@bigb : Download Mission Control. Connect it to your Como. If it is anything like my Tero, then select Tune>Customize Display. You will be presented with several customizable formats. showing up to 6 items at a time. Screens can also be added.
^This

It looks as if @bigb wants to edit the display pages of the TCD, the small computer shown in his picture. While Mission Control can also be altered to display other things, some folks keep their larger phones off the handlebars.

I hope this link works

I think that there are youtube videos, too.
You are totally right @kahn! I didn't look at the picture from @bigb as it didn't display at the time I read his post.

To explain: the Como display of @bigb is Generation 1 TCD-w. It is highly customizable using the display buttons but it has a limited set of data fields per data page.
@ReedM has Generation 2 TCD-w which is customizable from Mission Control and allows up to 6 data fields per data page.

It looks as if @bigb wants to edit the display pages of the TCD, the small computer shown in his picture. While Mission Control can also be altered to display other things, some folks keep their larger phones off the handlebars.

I hope this link works

I think that there are youtube videos, too.
Correct, I just want to "Re-arrange" the display so the items I want are all on the same screen, I don't want to add more items and I don't want to use my cell phone for a display. I didn't think the display was wireless though, mine has 2 wires coming off the back and into the frame.

I didn't think the display was wireless though, mine has 2 wires coming off the back and into the frame.
A common confusion!
Yours is TCD-w ("w" for Wired).
Kahn meant TCD (wireless).

All Vado/Como/Tero use the wired display.
All SL e-bikes and Levo/Kenevo can optionally use the wireless TCD.

Customizing both displays is identical.

You are totally right @kahn! I didn't look at the picture from @bigb as it didn't display at the time I read his post.

To explain: the Como display of @bigb is Generation 1 TCD-w. It is highly customizable using the display buttons but it has a limited set of data fields per data page.
@ReedM has Generation 2 TCD-w which is customizable from Mission Control and allows up to 6 data fields per data page.
Thanks, I was able to program it so I can see MPH, Trip ODO and Time at one glance. It would have been nice to program the "remaining battery/heart rate/cadence" field to the elapsed time display instead but not possible, not a big deal as I can toggle to it when I want to or just keep track on the clock.

Thanks, I was able to program it so I can see MPH, Trip ODO and Time at one glance. It would have been nice to program the "remaining battery/heart rate/cadence" field to the elapsed time display instead but not possible, not a big deal as I can toggle to it when I want to or just keep track on the clock.
All TCD displays are capable; these cannot just do everything. Hence my aware choice of a Wahoo ELEMNT bike GPS computer that connects to Specialized e-bikes. The main Data Page can have as many as 11 Data Fields there. (I use the second Data Page for GPS navigation). I swap the Wahoo between my both Specialized e-bikes, and the computer recognizes each of them automatically!

All TCD displays are capable; these cannot just do everything. Hence my aware choice of a Wahoo ELEMNT bike GPS computer that connects to Specialized e-bikes. The main Data Page can have as many as 11 Data Fields there. (I use the second Data Page for GPS navigation). I swap the Wahoo between my both Specialized e-bikes, and the computer recognizes each of them automatically!
That is nice, I'll put one on my list. Is there a monthly fee for the GPS?

That is nice, I'll put one on my list. Is there a monthly fee for the GPS?
Nothing! The GPS and updatable maps are included free.
Be cautious: The ELEMNT Roam is more expensive but not better than the cheaper ELEMNT Bolt v2. Bolt v2 is more modern, and some capabilities of Bolt v2 are better than they are in the older Roam!

Does PAS care what gear I am in? For example, today I wanted to try the power on some steep hills. I switched it on to #1 but I stayed in a higher gear to keep up the speed and get more of a workout. If I do this does that make the system work harder and possibly use more battery than if I shift to a lower gear?

Does PAS care what gear I am in? For example, today I wanted to try the power on some steep hills. I switched it on to #1 but I stayed in a higher gear to keep up the speed and get more of a workout. If I do this does that make the system work harder and possibly use more battery than if I shift to a lower gear?
There is nothing like PAS-only in the premium mid-drive motors. A mid-drive motor only pays the attention to the product of how hard you push your pedals (torque) and of your pedalling rotational speed (cadence). The product is called "pedalling power" or "human power input". In given Assistance Level, the bike controller multiplies your pedalling power by so called Boost Factor, and such mechanical power of the motor (combined with your own) is transferred to the rear wheel.

Meaning: "Mashing" pedals times slow cadence would give the same pedalling power as "spinning the cranks" times (less energetic) pushing the pedals. You won't get more workout by staying in a high gear; you're going to damage your knees by doing so. If you learn spinning the cranks faster but with less of pedal pressure (in a lower gear), you will deliver exactly the same pedalling power to the system with the same effective motor assistance. And the same number of calories burnt.

Spinning the cranks has many health benefits. It is also good for the drivetrain (less wear). Moreover, mid-drive motors are more effective if your cadence is above 70.

My favourite show that I am often giving to my traditional cycling mates is this:
1. I ride at a slow cadence in Eco
2. Then I dramatically downshift
3. Then I spin the cranks.

I am able to deliver so much power by doing so I simply disappear at distance -- without increasing the assistance! (On my last Sunday group ride, I managed the cadence of 135 but cannot maintain it for long).

1646770298430.png

My show. The power indicated here is the pedalling power.

Last edited:
Reactions: JVD
Wow thanks for all that info Stefan! I'm going to go and adjust my main screen to show cadence and will experiment with that on tomorrow's ride. I expect to be doing a lot of experimenting at first, yesterday's experiment was my usual ride with no power at all and due to now having 10 gears instead of 3 I was able to do it in about 25% less time and my average speed was 2 MPH greater than I was getting on my 3 speed. Today's experiment was seeing how fast I could get home from the new BBQ restaurant being built right on the bikeway, I made the 6 miles in 17 minutes which includes the very steep hills, however it also cost me about 20% of my battery. Using the power today I know I didn't get as much of a workout as usual because I only drank a fraction of the water I normally do.

Back