Specialized Turbo Vado/Como/Tero/Tero X User Club

I may not have the Creo paired correctly or fully with my Edge 1030+. I don't really see the battery info as clearly as I would like. Or do I need to install one of the 3rd party apps?
@kahn, please:
  1. Remove Cadence and Power Sensors from your Garmin if you have them there
  2. Disable the Fake Channel in Mission Control (if it was enabled)
  3. In Garmin, locate a Sensor called "E-bike" (or similar). Pair it to Garmin.
  4. When selecting Data Fields to Data Page, select Cadence, Power, Speed, etc. You will also find Data Fields explicitly named LEV... LEV Battery is the Data Field you need.

@kahn, please:
  1. Remove Cadence and Power Sensors from your Garmin if you have them there
  2. Disable the Fake Channel in Mission Control (if it was enabled)
  3. In Garmin, locate a Sensor called "E-bike" (or similar). Pair it to Garmin.
  4. When selecting Data Fields to Data Page, select Cadence, Power, Speed, etc. You will also find Data Fields explicitly named LEV... LEV Battery is the Data Field you need.
Thanks

I just copied that and sent it as an email to myself so that I can read it when down with the bike.

In reference to the new 2022 models of the Vado, I see the new EBR review of the Vado 4.0 Step-Through says it has a 40T chainring. Court even states verbally that it's a 40T. Specialized's website confirms that. Yet, the Specialized website says the Vado 4.0 Step-Over has a 48T chainring, and the Vado 3.0 Step-Through has a 48T chainring. It doesn't make sense to me why that one model would be different than the other two, and the pictures don't look like the chainring in the 4.0 Step-Through is any smaller that those others with the 48T. It makes me wonder if this 40T info is incorrect. Anyone know for sure?

that is odd. there are a number of differences in those bikes; the 5.0 models having a 48t makes some sense since they have a 20nM torque advantage, roughly proportional to the 40/48 difference. the 4.0 step over being 48t is mysterious, and the 3.0 is a 9 speed alivio drivetrain, even less torque (50nM) so no idea why that one wouldn’t have the 40t. perhaps the expectation of not doing any heavy duty climbing?

or, it’s a mistake and they’re all 48t. the photos (or are they renderings?) on the specialized site clearly show the same size chainring (or within a very small margin, not as much as an 8t diff) for the 2022 4.0 step through and step over.

chainrings.jpg

Last edited:
In reference to the new 2022 models of the Vado, I see the new EBR review of the Vado 4.0 Step-Through says it has a 40T chainring. Court even states verbally that it's a 40T. Specialized's website confirms that.
Which is amusing, as the Polish Spec website gives this information:
1645939628455.png

1645939681912.png

I have checked it carefully: it is the 2022 model with Mastermind.
And Court shows the same e-bike (U.S.) and confirms it is a 40T chainring there.

If someone's not wrong, I would attribute this oddity to the known phrase "*Specifications are subject to change without notice" :) What is especially interesting there is the Euro version should come with a smaller chainring than the U.S. variety. The reason is, Euro e-bikes are restricted at 25 km/h and simply do not need a large chainring; a smaller chainring would improve the climbing properties of Vado in turn.

Strange.

I think Court didn't check and was going by the spec sheet. Here's what it shows on the U.S. Specialized site for the three 2022 Vado bikes mentioned:
1645977814783.png

1645977825404.png

1645977840585.png

Factoring in the comparisons in the pictures of the bikes and the Polish site specs saying 48T for the 4.0 ST, I think the U.S. site is in error and that it's actually a 48T on the 4.0 Step-Through. But I can't be certain.

Last edited:
That's not really a change, is it?
I think the new releases of MC just include features for new models of Specialized e-bikes. For instance, it might handle the IGH models.
The MC is made the way it only shows features relevant to the e-bike model currently connected to the MC. For instance, the app will be very different for, say, Levo than it is for Creo, etc.

I think Court didn't check and was going by the spec sheet. Here's what it shows on the U.S. Specialized site for the three 2022 Vado bikes mentioned:
View attachment 115448
View attachment 115449

View attachment 115450

Factoring in the comparisons in the pictures of the bikes and the Polish site specs saying 48T for the 4.0 ST, I think the U.S. site is in error and that it's actually a 48T on the 4.0 Step-Through. But I can't be certain.
I stopped by Work Horse Bicycles in Monterey, CA, on Sunday, February 27th, and they had two new 2022 Vado 4.0 STs on the floor - and both had the Praxis 48t chainring on them. I doubt the shop would change them out so I think the only reasonable explanation for why both had the larger chainring is that the spec sheet is wrong.

I stopped by Work Horse Bicycles in Monterey, CA, on Sunday, February 27th, and they had two new 2022 Vado 4.0 STs on the floor - and both had the Praxis 48t chainring on them. I doubt the shop would change them out so I think the only reasonable explanation for why both had the larger chainring is that the spec sheet is wrong.
Good information indeed! Thank you!

Mission control app ver 2.11.0 is out.
@ Marcela: Version 2.11.0 has fixed some things for me, and broken other things when run on my Android smartphone. I will provide guides to the problematic areas on my phone.
RIDE>STATS>Choices: Elevation Gain is still not available for selection on my Android phone.
SETTINGS>PROFILE (Edit Profile): "Year of birth" does not remain as set. HEIGHT(IN) does not remain as set. HEIGHT(FT) seems to remain as set.
DIAGNOSE>Device Updates: Indicates that my bike is a 2021-20-09 Vado 2 rather than the 2022 Tero that it is

@ Marcela: Version 2.11.0 has fixed some things for me, and broken other things when run on my Android smartphone. I will provide guides to the problematic areas on my phone.
RIDE>STATS>Choices: Elevation Gain is still not available for selection on my Android phone.
SETTINGS>PROFILE (Edit Profile): "Year of birth" does not remain as set. HEIGHT(IN) does not remain as set. HEIGHT(FT) seems to remain as set.
DIAGNOSE>Device Updates: Indicates that my bike is a 2021-20-09 Vado 2 rather than the 2022 Tero that it is
Interesting. Updates might not be the thing to do. I don't mess with my electronics very much so can't tell what the issues or updates are about, and Spec doesn't say.

I got a new 2021 Como today, had my first ride and pretty happy. Doing a bit of tweaking, I am tall which is why I wanted the Como but I could still use a bit more rise on the handlebar. I turned them upwards a bit and lowered the seat 1/4" after my ride today, will see how that goes tomorrow. If I wanted another 1.5" out of the handlebar what's my best option? A different handlebar or one of these?: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ZHYEIJ...colid=6V7ZCCSNW5ED&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

I got a new 2021 Como today, had my first ride and pretty happy. Doing a bit of tweaking, I am tall which is why I wanted the Como but I could still use a bit more rise on the handlebar. I turned them upwards a bit and lowered the seat 1/4" after my ride today, will see how that goes tomorrow. If I wanted another 1.5" out of the handlebar what's my best option? A different handlebar or one of these?: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ZHYEIJ...colid=6V7ZCCSNW5ED&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it
You probably could do that. With my growing experience, I tend to discourage people to raise the bars. My ass has suffered enough so I could understand shifting the weight backwards was a wrong move...

You probably could do that. With my growing experience, I tend to discourage people to raise the bars. My ass has suffered enough so I could understand shifting the weight backwards was a wrong move...
Thank You Stefan and thanks for the response on my introductory post as well...I will get some pics soon. I hear what you are saying on the weight distribution but my back and wrists won't allow me to hunch over too much so I tend to sit more upright, will change the seat if need be for more comfort in that area! Meanwhile I wonder if anyone can tell me the purpose of these 3 tools that were in my parts bag? Thanks and now on to my lock and alarm research!

Attachments

• bike tools.jpg
    bike tools.jpg
    166.1 KB · Views: 142
Thank You Stefan and thanks for the response on my introductory post as well...I will get some pics soon. I hear what you are saying on the weight distribution but my back and wrists won't allow me to hunch over too much so I tend to sit more upright, will change the seat if need be for more comfort in that area! Meanwhile I wonder if anyone can tell me the purpose of these 3 tools that were in my parts bag? Thanks and now on to my lock and alarm research!
I think the bottom one is to place into the disc brake caliper to prevent them from locking closed if you remove the wheel. If you inadvertantly grasp the brake levers while working on the wheel-less bike, the brakes will close and have to be pried open CAREFULLY. The spacer prevents that. At least, that's what I was told. Haven't seen those others.

One of the riders in the senior's group I ride with has a Vado 5 and his odometer seems to be stuck on 9999 km.
It doesn't look like there's room for another number, so should the odometer go back to 0 on its own?

One of the riders in the senior's group I ride with has a Vado 5 and his odometer seems to be stuck on 9999 km.
It doesn't look like there's room for another number, so should the odometer go back to 0 on its own?
He should ask a Specialized dealer for a firmware update. The 9999 stuck is a know bug but that has been fixed in a update.
After applying the update, the man will see the actual number of miles/kilometres he has ridden.

Thanks Stefan. He's also got a two word alert that shows up on his display (can't remember what it says), so I'll recommend he take the bike back to the Specialized dealer he bough it from.

Back