Specialized Turbo Vado 5

Silvercat

Hi,
Appreciate thoughts on Vado 5 versus Trek Allant 7.
Trying to decide between them. Hill climbing important. 90% hard gravel trails.
Older with lung issues. Thought these 2 are better than Giant Explore Pro.
Tuanks!

I have the Vado 5. Love it. Hill climbing is excellent in Turbo mode. The power really kicks in when you select the highest assist, and it is definately noticeable. There is no contest that a Class 3 motor (Vado) is heads and tails stronger than any Class 2 motor. Having both, I always advise people looking at ebikes to go for the Class 3.

Don't have any experience with the Allant 7 to compare, unfortunately.

Thanks for your thoughts!
That Vado 5 sure looks like a very impressive bike. It is easily my number 1 Specialized choice. Sadly, the 2022 model, with a different Brose motor, Color centre display, etc., will not be available here in BC for another year at least, from what dealers tell me.
And, sadly, laws here cap an ebike speed at 20 mph or 32 kph.

IMHO that 20mph (32kph) rule sucks, especially for older riders that can benefit from a more powerful motor to compensate for old wornout joints and old injuries.

That said I rode a lovely relaxed 13 mile ride on our gravel roads last night on my Class 1 (20mph limit) Giant LaFree. That bike handled every hill and upslope beautifully without hesitation. I tend to keep it at maximum assist the entire ride and simply change gears when necessary. The ride becomes less complicated that way with less "buttons to push" or electronics to tend to, and more like an acoustic bike experience, but with a constant level of motor power at the pedals.

I had a Vado for about a year (sold it to go to a Gravel bike) but it was not because it was anything less than great. They have plenty of power and good battery life. Never had an issue with the bike and if I could have afforded to keep it and get my new bike would have.

Thanks for your thoughts!
That Vado 5 sure looks like a very impressive bike. It is easily my number 1 Specialized choice. Sadly, the 2022 model, with a different Brose motor, Color centre display, etc., will not be available here in BC for another year at least, from what dealers tell me.
And, sadly, laws here cap an ebike speed at 20 mph or 32 kph.
IMHO that 20mph (32kph) rule sucks, especially for older riders that can benefit from a more powerful motor to compensate for old wornout joints and old injuries.

That said I rode a lovely relaxed 13 mile ride on our gravel roads last night on my Class 1 (20mph limit) Giant LaFree. That bike handled every hill and upslope beautifully without hesitation. I tend to keep it at maximum assist the entire ride and simply change gears when necessary. The ride becomes less complicated that way with less "buttons to push" or electronics to tend to, and more like an acoustic bike experience, but with a constant level of motor power at the pedals.
Totally agree! Age is a 4 letter word! That 20 mph limit is absolutely ridiculous. I also agree 100% with “less buttons to push” and a less complicated ride. I will try that (if I ever get a mid drive bike before I am 6 feet under!!) idea of max power while only changing the gears.
I wonder if and how that would work with my NCM Moscow Plus (I likely should hide that name on my frame) rear hub drive ebike. I somehow think that would not be advisable with a rear hub motor.
Safe riding!

Back