Specialized turbo vado SL 4.0 chainring information.

I'm so glad to hear it!

I rode approximately 40 miles this weekend and did not have any chain drops. Could be placebo effect, however, I feel more confident under load and during shifts while under motor power with this Garbaruk chain ring. I did pass through the route where I CONSISTENTLY (but not always) drop the chain and had no issues.
Again...looking at the chain fitment on the Garbaruk ring....the teeth extend beyond the chain seemingly making it FAR more difficult to lose the chain. Additionally....the chain seems more tightly attached to the ring teeth when compared to the OEM Praxis.

So far so good.

I did realize: Should the Garbaruk drop the chain and should that chain lodge between the motor and the inside of the chain ring as has been occurring with the Praxis....it would require a slightly more difficult surgery to re-attach the chain. The OEM Praxis required only a 5mm allen key to remove the chainring enabling the chain to be reattached. The Praxis uses the chain ring guard and bolts (without nuts) which attach to the Praxis chainring which features threaded holes. The Garbaruk holes are not threaded....so the 5mm bolt attaches to a 7mm nut (more standard chain ring hardware). In other words....should I have the same problem with the Garbaruk....it would be a major P in the A to reattach while out on a ride.

Last edited:
Great news! I dont think that chain will drop that's what the wide tooth does it locks the chain down. I'm 750 miles on new chainring without a hint of a drop😊

I have owned a Turbo Vado SL 4.0 for 13 months now and have rode it about 1300 miles. Whilst I'm very impressed with the bike and it's capabilities i have had a problem with the drive chain jumping off the chainring and wedging itself between it and the motor cover.
Now it's not easy to retrieve the chain you have to break the quick link to get it out. After that the link has to be placed on a specific part of the chainwheel as marked on the inside or it will happen again!
This happened to me three or four times so today i took the bike back to the dealership. The first thing i found out was that i was not the first to suffer this problem.
They informed me that most Turbo Vado SL bikes had no problem but a few had issues identical to mine.
It appears that the chainrings fitted as standard are alloy and the teeth are in a wave pattern.
They stated this is not ideal for this bike and at my request he fitted a steel narrow and wide chainwheel. They also stated they had contacted Specialized to report this but no reply has been received.
Incidently i also went down to a 38 tooth as that suits me better as i do a lot of steep road hills and am not bothered about top speeds.
Having just ridden the 20 miles home i am super impressed at the gear change as it greatly improves the hill climbs.
The dealership did not charge me for the chainwheel or for changing it over home improvement lynnwood wa.
Just for info in case anyone else has the same problem.
With the current 44 tooth Praxis chainring, and a 12 speed 10-45 cassette, I feel like I spend most of my time around on the smallest cassette gear at 20mph at a cadence around 60. So far, I've worn out a chain and cassette every 600-800 miles, which seems like a lot, but I'm apparently not alone among Specialized 11 and 12-speed e-bikes. The wear is worst on the smallest gear on the cassette.

My question is, can I or should I upgrade the current 44t chainring to 48 or 50, and has anyone else tried it on the same or similar bike? I get that I'll need a longer chain, but I hope to spend more time off the smallest cassette gear, extending its life and letting me go faster at my preferred cadence.

With the current 44 tooth Praxis chainring, and a 12 speed 10-45 cassette, I feel like I spend most of my time around on the smallest cassette gear at 20mph at a cadence around 60. So far, I've worn out a chain and cassette every 600-800 miles, which seems like a lot, but I'm apparently not alone among Specialized 11 and 12-speed e-bikes. The wear is worst on the smallest gear on the cassette.

My question is, can I or should I upgrade the current 44t chainring to 48 or 50, and has anyone else tried it on the same or similar bike? I get that I'll need a longer chain, but I hope to spend more time off the smallest cassette gear, extending its life and letting me go faster at my preferred cadence.
A Vado SL? I cannot unfortunately answer your question right now (my SL is in the storage before a replacement crank is delivered) but I think you can go up to 48T (not more).
I could get a trusted answer within a week, OK?

Back