EBR made me do it! (new Vado SL 5.0 EQ)

Reflectors, anyone?
Trying to keep the SL as clean-looking as possible but feeling the need to add some rear- and side-pointing reflectors in case I get caught out after dark — preferably small and classy-looking.

20240928_113751.jpg

The small EQ tailight lens has no reflective elements. The headlight does, so I'm covered up front.

Screenshot_20240928_114318_Chrome.jpg

Maybe hang one with this form factor but smaller from the rack or put on some reflective tape?

20240928_113849.jpg

Lost my stock sidewall reflectors with the tire change. No side reflectors at all now.

20240928_115213.jpg

Lost the pedal reflectors, too. Last time I searched, no good way to add reflectors to these.

Ideas? No added lights, just reflectors, please. Have some reflective LED ankle bands, but with storage at a premium, would prefer not to rely on something I have to stow.

Thanks!

Last edited:
If I can bring myself to do it, the simplest and lightest solution is just red reflective tape on the back rail of the rack and white reflective tape on the side rails.

These black reflective stickers would be more acceptable esthetically if they really work:

Wonder how hard the tape or stickers would be remove?

Last edited:
If I can bring myself to do it, the simplest and lightest solution is just red reflective tape on the back rail of the rack and white reflective tape on the side rails.

These black reflective stickers would be more acceptable esthetically if they really work:

Heat gun/hair dryer, alcohol and a little elbow grease ought to do it.
***More alcohol later if failure occurs***

On one of my black bikes I used black Scotchlite reflective tape. During the day it looked black, at night it turned bright white when any light hit it. Here is some yellow:

Late to the party but well done Jeremy for taking the plunge! And that yellow- gorgeous and very SoCal! May you have many happy explorations on it. Think your adjustments like smaller chainring are very practical and it looks now very fit for purpose for where you ride. Big fan of lower gearing, makes that 35nm motor feel much more powerful.

On bags etc- yeah it's always tricky. I'm not a trunk bag fan - it's high up and behind me where I can't see it plus can't get anything out of it without dismounting. But the front light off the stem makes it tricky to have any handlebar bag of any size. I finally got a new light with a fork crown fitting - following someone on here who did this and helpfully showed how, forgotten who that was it was a while ago- this enabled me to fit a Klickfix Altura handlebar bag big enough for coats, gloves, camera food etc and with a zipped top pocket for phone keys and snack bars. Plus I have Klickfix fittings on my other bike so can use the bag on either. I'm not advocating you do this on a shiny new bike but maybe in a year or so might be a solution.

Late to the party but well done Jeremy for taking the plunge! And that yellow- gorgeous and very SoCal! May you have many happy explorations on it. Think your adjustments like smaller chainring are very practical and it looks now very fit for purpose for where you ride. Big fan of lower gearing, makes that 35nm motor feel much more powerful.

On bags etc- yeah it's always tricky. I'm not a trunk bag fan - it's high up and behind me where I can't see it plus can't get anything out of it without dismounting. But the front light off the stem makes it tricky to have any handlebar bag of any size. I finally got a new light with a fork crown fitting - following someone on here who did this and helpfully showed how, forgotten who that was it was a while ago- this enabled me to fit a Klickfix Altura handlebar bag big enough for coats, gloves, camera food etc and with a zipped top pocket for phone keys and snack bars. Plus I have Klickfix fittings on my other bike so can use the bag on either. I'm not advocating you do this on a shiny new bike but maybe in a year or so might be a solution.
Found the thread it was from member Smoke:

Thanks! Your encouragement and shared experiences had a lot to do with the final result here — both on the SL itself and on the lowered gearing. The 40t was my first guess based on experience with my hub-drive on local hills, and it's working out perfectly.

Have only had to resort to TURBO for climbing once so far, on a known 16% grade. Thought of you and your Dartmoor hills. Still don't understand how the SL climbs so well, but keeping my cadence in the motor's sweet spot is surely part of the answer. And that wouldn't have been possible for me with the stock 44t up front.

Definitely thinking about moving the headlight, as a good handlebar bag like yours would solve all my storage problems. The SL would look a lot cleaner without the frame bag.

Thanks! Your encouragement and shared experiences had a lot to do with the final result here — both on the SL itself and on the lowered gearing. The 40t was my first guess based on experience with my hub-drive on local hills, and it's working out perfectly.

Have only had to resort to TURBO for climbing once so far, on a known 16% grade. Thought of you and your Dartmoor hills. Still don't understand how the SL climbs so well, but keeping my cadence in the motor's sweet spot is surely part of the answer. And that wouldn't have been possible for me with the stock 44t up front.

Definitely thinking about moving the headlight, as a good handlebar bag like yours would solve all my storage problems. The SL would look a lot cleaner without the frame bag.
My thoughts on it & definitely a layman's view as I'm not very techie at all, is that having enough gears to keep up a quicker cadence means much less pressure on the motor. The whine I'd hear on steep gradients having run out of gears so I was grinding slowly, showed the motor was at its limit. With my 36x46 gearing, now the reverse is true, motor zips along and I feel the extra support I'm getting. But yes it feels like magic!

As @mschwett has explained for several times, the climbing ability primarily depends on the input power with the gearing playing a secondary role. You need a very specific power delivered to be able to climb a given incline at a specific speed. Now, the proper gearing is necessary to be able to pedal at a proper cadence at that speed.

In case the total power input into the chainring is too low, the bike speed will fall below any controllable figure (which could be assumed to be 5 mph or 8 km/h) disregarding the gearing ratio. On the other hand, the proper cadence is necessary for a mid-motor to operate at high efficiency and torque provided. I do agree with @Rás Cnoic Specialized mid-motors are happy to operate at the cadence of 80-90 rpm and provide their maximum boost then.

Regarding the climbing ability of Vado SL under my very weak legs, I did two experiments yesterday. One was climbing unpowered against a 4% flyover/overpass with the motor off. I needed the 32-51T gearing to climb at 7-8 km/h! (Unfortunately, my e-bike system was also off, so I could not check the leg power-meter; will do that experiment the next time).
According to http://bikecalculator.com/ I could probably input 130 W in the cranks there.

The second one was climbing a 10% grade incline on cobblestones. I definitely needed SL Turbo and some low gear (but that was not the lowest one). If I input 130 W in SL Turbo (1.8x boost) then the motor would respond with 234 W of mechanical assistance, the total power input were 364 W, and that would let me climb at 9.4 km/h, which feels very probable. Of course, now I could calculate the gear I rode in using Bikecalc.com (another service). My max cadence was 115 rpm.

Last edited:
An oft-repeated argument for mid-drive motors is that they "take advantage" of the bike's gears. How this actually happens is seldom stated, but the usual implication is that the gears are somehow amplifying the motor torque delivered to the rear wheel.

Problem is, this can only happen when the selected gear's an underdrive (cassette cog larger than chainring). In fact, most ebikes are sold with no underdrive gears or a 1:1 at best, mid-drives included. (I look at a lot of ebike specs with gearing in mind. The Vado SL and Creo 2 are notable exceptions.)

Without modification, all available gears on an ebike are typically overdrives (cog smaller than chainring). And overdrives reduce the motor torque delivered to the drive wheel. No way around this without an internally geared hub.

As @mschwett taught me, the entity actually "taking advantage" of the gears on a mid-drive is the rider trying to keep cadence in the motor's sweet spot for efficiency and torque.

And I'd wager (1) that most mid-drive riders don't know that that's their job, and (2) that few watch their cadence or even know their motor's optimal cadence range.

Specialized University put out a video urging their riders to keep cadence above 70 rpm, but I wonder how many ever see it? I just stumbled on it by accident.

Last edited:
What you are saying Jeremy is absolutely correct.

1727636925898.png

True MTBs actually can be underdrive and take the gear advantage. Meet an 18 gear-inch gearing! :)

Specialized University put out a video urging their riders to keep cadence above 70 rpm, but I wonder how many ever see it? I just stumbled on it by accident.
Not sure whether your Mastermind TCU can do it but the Mastermind TCD changes its colour to green when you are in the proper cadence range!

Not sure whether your Mastermind TCU can do it but the Mastermind TCD changes its colour to green when you are in the proper cadence range!
Hmmm, will have to look for that.

Shame that my purchasing LBS said nothing about any of this. Nor do I recall seeing anything in the printed owners manual. Will check the supplied DVD manual.

The cadence limit is a big problem for my Haibike, I often need to pedal faster but it just hits a wall.
The bbshd with throttle just kills it, I can spin the cranks as fast as I can and if the incline pulls the throttle speed down Im there to help it back up.

But you know, borderline motorbike an all.

Hmmm, will have to look for that.

Shame that my purchasing LBS said nothing about any of this. Nor do I recall seeing anything in the printed owners manual. Will check the supplied DVD manual.
Jeremy, the TCD is the big display found on the full power Turbo e-bikes. I do not think the little TCU display has it. All I wanted to say was Specialized has recognised the need of drawing attention of some riders to the importance of cadence.

One of Specialized materials reads "Cadence is the King (or Queen)" 😊

The cadence limit is a big problem for my Haibike, I often need to pedal faster but it just hits a wall
That was what held me back from the recent deals on the Yamaha Wabash RT here in the US. Most of the available data shows a pretty quick tail off in power above 90 rpm for the older S series motors.

The newer X series keep getting increasingly higher rpm assist, but probably well past their peak efficiency.

Back