Upgraded headlight on Vado SL 4.0

Smoke

Region
USA
I decided to change out the stem on my Vado SL 4.0 to get my bars incrementally higher and closer to me. So of course I had to get rid of the unique stem that came with the bike, with its computer and light mounts. And its worth saying here that I had already removed the computer mount. So I had to come up with another way to mount the headlight. I priced "go-pro" style mounts that connect to the stem faceplate and they were pricey - in the $35-40 range. While looking at the Lezyne site, I realized that the upgraded (on the 5.0) light, the STVZO Pro E115, is produced by them with a bottom mount, and that it comes with both the stem and top-of-the-fork mounts, all for around $65. And which is 50% brighter than the E65 light! I definitely wanted to verify that the bottom mount E115 was the same as the one on the 5.0 so I contacted Lezyne's tech department and they said the specs were identical. So here is my upgrade process:
IMG_6077.jpg
IMG_6071.jpg

These pic show the package with the stem faceplate mount and the light mounted on the top of the fork with the included rather nice metal fork top mount.
Next, I opened up the plate with the on/off switch and discovered a nest of wiring-
IMG_6072.jpg
IMG_6073.jpg

By trial and error, the skinny yellow and black wires are to the headlight and the red and black ones are to the tail light. Both sets to the battery are red and black, which is why on tests to be sure. There are little spade connectors that can be gotten from Peter White cycles, but I had some small crimp-on connectors that I used. One could also solder. So the wire that comes with the new light is run through the side of the frame and up out through the top opening. I cut the wires on both ends to appropriate sizes (not without trepidation), removed the insulations, threaded some heat-shrink tubing on the new wires, crimped the 2 sets of wires together, and moved the heat-shrink tubes up over the new connectors, and shrunk them with a lighter. My results:
IMG_6075.jpg
Huzzah! I tested the wiring by firmly pulling on both ends, then turned on the light before I carefully stuffed all the wiring back in place. Here are a few more pics showing the 2 beams, the E65 and E115 on my living room brick wall, and some finished bike pics:
IMG_6068.jpg
IMG_6078.jpg

IMG_6081.jpg
IMG_6093.jpg

The light looks considerably brighter on the road. I do not do a lot of night riding but I like to have a nice bright light when I do. This turned out to be a really nice upgrade. I am trying out the fork mount which I like so far, but I also now have the option of moving it back to the stem.
And I do have to say that for only a $20 difference in the 2 lights, why did Specialized not put the E115 on both levels of bike, at least for the sake of safety?
And just btw, the light was not available on Lezyne's site, but other places such as an Amazon associated company. Let me know if you have any questions.

And I do have to say that for only a $20 difference in the 2 lights, why did Specialized not put the E115 on both levels of bike, at least for the sake of safety?
$20 makes a big difference in the mass production.
Less powerful headlight uses less of battery power with the lights running all the time.

Well, $20 is the retail difference, so the cost to Specialized is even less. And yes you are right that it will take more battery power. I guess then that the 4.0 gets better mileage than the 5.0! But not mine anymore...I can live with that easily because the light is much brighter and therefore safer at night.

Well, $20 is the retail difference, so the cost to Specialized is even less. And yes you are right that it will take more battery power. I guess then that the 4.0 gets better mileage than the 5.0! But not mine anymore...I can live with that easily because the light is much brighter and therefore safer at night.
Right. It is good that you could enhance your Vado SL and have shown how to do it!

As for my needs (riding mostly during day hours, with occasional night escapades on bike paths and low traffic roads, and riding rather slowly), the Lezyne as found on the 4.0 is adequate, which was a surprise for me (I didn't expect it to be so good!) And I think the power draw from these lights (yours and mine) is still very low because of good LEDs and reflectors used there!

P.S. I own several powerful MTB headlights and can mount them in need.

Last edited:
I decided to change out the stem on my Vado SL 4.0 to get my bars incrementally higher and closer to me. So of course I had to get rid of the unique stem that came with the bike, with its computer and light mounts. And its worth saying here that I had already removed the computer mount. So I had to come up with another way to mount the headlight. I priced "go-pro" style mounts that connect to the stem faceplate and they were pricey - in the $35-40 range. While looking at the Lezyne site, I realized that the upgraded (on the 5.0) light, the STVZO Pro E115, is produced by them with a bottom mount, and that it comes with both the stem and top-of-the-fork mounts, all for around $65. And which is 50% brighter than the E65 light! I definitely wanted to verify that the bottom mount E115 was the same as the one on the 5.0 so I contacted Lezyne's tech department and they said the specs were identical. So here is my upgrade process:View attachment 122831View attachment 122832
These pic show the package with the stem faceplate mount and the light mounted on the top of the fork with the included rather nice metal fork top mount.
Next, I opened up the plate with the on/off switch and discovered a nest of wiring-
View attachment 122833View attachment 122834

By trial and error, the skinny yellow and black wires are to the headlight and the red and black ones are to the tail light. Both sets to the battery are red and black, which is why on tests to be sure. There are little spade connectors that can be gotten from Peter White cycles, but I had some small crimp-on connectors that I used. One could also solder. So the wire that comes with the new light is run through the side of the frame and up out through the top opening. I cut the wires on both ends to appropriate sizes (not without trepidation), removed the insulations, threaded some heat-shrink tubing on the new wires, crimped the 2 sets of wires together, and moved the heat-shrink tubes up over the new connectors, and shrunk them with a lighter. My results:
View attachment 122836 Huzzah! I tested the wiring by firmly pulling on both ends, then turned on the light before I carefully stuffed all the wiring back in place. Here are a few more pics showing the 2 beams, the E65 and E115 on my living room brick wall, and some finished bike pics:
View attachment 122837View attachment 122838
View attachment 122839View attachment 122840
The light looks considerably brighter on the road. I do not do a lot of night riding but I like to have a nice bright light when I do. This turned out to be a really nice upgrade. I am trying out the fork mount which I like so far, but I also now have the option of moving it back to the stem.
And just btw, the light was not available on Lezyne's site, but other places such as an Amazon associated company. Let me know if you have any questions.
Thanks for the pictures of the wiring - interesting.

The Specialzied Vado SL 5.0 light is an OEM version of the E115 with the lamp assembly reversed to it can be mounted upside down under the bar. The OEM version also comes with the correct connector for a Vado SL. I ordered the OEM E115 from a local LBS to use on my Creo before I upgraded to a Lupine SL Nano. The Nano is much brighter than the E115 even on low beam and also has the StVzo rating so it's not lighting up the tree tops or blinding people.

Lights at all times are one the best safety practices for riding even if you don't ride in traffic and just ride paths with other cyclists and pedestrians.

1652337543773.png

The Vado SL 4.0 stock headlight as seen from the distance of 350 m (1150 ft), 10x smartphone lens.

Bad?

It's good, most drivers will probably see the light before the bright green. At night the E115 is better and the Lupine would illuminate most of that distance. (It probably only matters at the 45 km/h speeds of the Creo.)

At night the E115 is better and the Lupine would illuminate most of that distance. (It probably only matters at the 45 km/h speeds of the Creo.)
Makes sense.

As I said, nothing would beat CatEye Volt 1700 at the darkest of nights, in the forest :) The integrated Li-Ion battery holds for hours! That's why I'm not at least inclined to modify my Vado SL 4.0 re lighting.

I decided to change out the stem on my Vado SL 4.0 to get my bars incrementally higher and closer to me. So of course I had to get rid of the unique stem that came with the bike, with its computer and light mounts. And its worth saying here that I had already removed the computer mount. So I had to come up with another way to mount the headlight. I priced "go-pro" style mounts that connect to the stem faceplate and they were pricey - in the $35-40 range. While looking at the Lezyne site, I realized that the upgraded (on the 5.0) light, the STVZO Pro E115, is produced by them with a bottom mount, and that it comes with both the stem and top-of-the-fork mounts, all for around $65. And which is 50% brighter than the E65 light! I definitely wanted to verify that the bottom mount E115 was the same as the one on the 5.0 so I contacted Lezyne's tech department and they said the specs were identical. So here is my upgrade process:View attachment 122831View attachment 122832
View attachment 122833View attachment 122834

View attachment 122836 Huzzah! I tested the wiring by firmly pulling on both ends, then turned on the light before I carefully stuffed all the wiring back in place. Here are a few more pics showing the 2 beams, the E65 and E115 on my living room brick wall, and some finished bike pics:
View attachment 122837View attachment 122838
View attachment 122839View attachment 122840
Great job! I also like the fork position for the light. Closer to the road, nice traditional light position (looks attractive) and frees up real estate on the bars for handlebar bags/computers etc. Very nice.

The Specialzied Vado SL 5.0 light is an OEM version of the E115 with the lamp assembly reversed to it can be mounted upside down under the bar. The OEM version also comes with the correct connector for a Vado SL. I ordered the OEM E115 from a local LBS to use on my Creo before I upgraded to a Lupine SL Nano. The Nano is much brighter than the E115 even on low beam and also has the StVzo rating so it's not lighting up the tree tops or blinding people.

Lights at all times are one the best safety practices for riding even if you don't ride in traffic and just ride paths with other cyclists and pedestrians.
Creo, here.

So you have mounted the Lupine SL Nano on your Creo? Where? It can plug into the "power" cable(s) under the top tube thingie! Do you notice much loss of battery power for riding over the length of a ride? Looks like a nice compact light although my handlebars are already pretty crowded.

I use a K-edge combo mount with a Garmin on top and GoPro fitting on the bottom. There is a Nano accessory to attach it to the GoPro mount. A Specialized connector cable S216800001 part common to the Vado SL that plugs into to the wiring underneath the TCU with breakout four spade connectors for front and rear lights. I use the same light as on the Vado SL mounted to a rear fender. 9.2 (8+1.2) W at 12 V for the front and rear lights is .77A. I don't think it affects the range much.

I bought what looks to be the same ritchey stem and ritchey bars with a very similar bend for my wife's Vado SL 4.0. Did a search to see if anyone else did the same and used another light mount. Not sure if I want a new light or not. Can I get just that mount from lezyne?

Back