So Sonders Is Advertising On Popular Websites ... BUT

reed scott

They do not give specs. Nothing. They don't show a real bike, just illustrations. They don't tell us when these bike will actually be available. This inspires the exact opposite of confidence. In fact, it cheezes me off. It makes me think this company is playing games and not to be trusted at all.

Change my mind. :confused:

All the specs and production prototypes were shown on Monday on the Facebook owners page. The new mid drives look gargantuan with a person standing next to them. They look like they weigh 200 pounds!

All the specs and production prototypes were shown on Monday on the Facebook owners page. The new mid drives look gargantuan with a person standing next to them. They look like they weigh 200 pounds!

I clicked on the 'To Buy' Botton and the only choice was color. No specs. No nuttin.

On Monday the 31st they had an unveiling of all three bikes.....actual bikes, no renderings. They are real. Founder also mentioned that many people complained that the specs were not specified earlier and he said he usually doesn’t do it because the components used are always evolving during production.

When I go to the Sonders web site there is a mid-drive comparison chart which is outdated already because some of the components are already upgraded per the unveiling.

So a Sonders web site with oudated info and facepalm , yeah I'm in on that ... not.

Sondors has a bit of a carnival barker reputation. I remember a few articles about him before he became Storm. I can't say if he does anything unethical, he is an aggressive marketing type. I almost bought a Fold X ltd in Orange but the lead time was too long. I never felt I was being cheated, simply wanted to ride sooner. I did get in and out of a crowed funded bike that felt seriously sketchy. Right before I was supposed to pay a balance I asked spec question and my next email was my deposit return to PayPal notification. I guess its best to wait for those who have physical inventory to ship on payment. So many of these "direct 2 customer" companies are now spoiled on pay now and wait marketing.

Here are some pictures of the production samples.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-09-02 at 5.11.03 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-09-02 at 5.11.03 PM.png
    832.3 KB · Views: 333
  • Screen Shot 2020-09-02 at 5.12.40 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-09-02 at 5.12.40 PM.png
    276 KB · Views: 346
  • Screen Shot 2020-09-02 at 5.13.33 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-09-02 at 5.13.33 PM.png
    483.6 KB · Views: 341
The good news is this may put some price pressure on the big 3 middrives. The bad news is yet to come.

The good news is this may put some price pressure on the big 3 middrives. The bad news is yet to come.
Not much price pressure when all the companies can sell everything they ship right now. I would not want to be an early adopter on these Sondors. A big step for them with their customer service.

Wow, those wheels look huge. I wonder if they are bigger than 29” diameter? No wonder the bike looks so high off the ground.

Is this a one size fits most frame ? or are there sizes?

Wow, those wheels look huge. I wonder if they are bigger than 29” diameter? No wonder the bike looks so high off the ground.
They said 26"x4.9" tires. Another thing is that they are saying the full suspension mtb will be over 70 pounds and the regular retail will be near $4,000. All this hub bub about the price was an introductory pricing. Not sure if the second round goes to that high list price or not.

Not sure how tall he is in comparison to the Ebike, but if he is 6' those bikes are going to be too big for most people.
Look where the seat is

Exactly, and it's not just how far his feet would be from the pedals. Imagine him sitting on the bike and reaching out for the handlebars. The reach on that bike is huge, especially for a step-thru (which should provide an upright riding position). Even if he's more like 5'6", those bikes are all size Large or XL. I saw the Electrek article the other day and like the idea of these bikes. But as with so many ebikes, that's all these are for now.

Not sure how tall he is in comparison to the Ebike, but if he is 6' those bikes are going to be too big for most people.
Look where the seat is

They joked during the reveal about their physical size (5'-8" or less). These bikes aren't supersized.

They joked during the reveal about their physical size (5'-8" or less). These bikes aren't supersized.

OK, but my point stands. Even (especially) on the step-thru models, the reach is going to be uncomfortably long for anyone under about 5'10" unless they have an unusually high ape index. I looked, they don't come in smaller sizes. Other than technically having a "step-thru" frame, those step-thru bikes don't provide the benefits that step-thrus should: comfortable, upright riding position and/or a seat and handlebars lower to the ground with shorter reach for shorter riders.

OK, but my point stands. Even (especially) on the step-thru models, the reach is going to be uncomfortably long for anyone under about 5'10" unless they have an unusually high ape index. I looked, they don't come in smaller sizes. Other than technically having a "step-thru" frame, those step-thru bikes don't provide the benefits that step-thrus should: comfortable, upright riding position and/or a seat and handlebars lower to the ground with shorter reach for shorter riders.
Your point doesn’t stand at all. What is the reach? Do you even know? Of course you don’t. Do you think they made a bike with the geometry to fit an Orangutan?

Back