Simple question - can a BBSHD be run with a BBS02 controller?

BrianK

Region
USA
City
NOVA
Hi folks,
I recently located a used complete BBSHD motor kit for half the cost of the same “bare bones” BBSHD motor itself from Luna. I’m looking to upgrade my BBS02 to BBSHD.

The seller says his BBSHD has 2100 miles on it. He also says the controller is on the fritz, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn’t.

I can go check it out and he’s willing to let me mount it on my e bike to make sure it works.

Will my BBS02 controller work with a BBSHD motor, or are they not compatible?

Thanks in advance for any input anyone can offer.

The controller is potted into the motor cover, and since the BBSHD is larger than the BBS02, its cover is too large for a BBS02. Or from the other point of view, a BBS02 cover is too small for the BBSHD,

Last edited:
Why would anyone dumb down a BBSHD in favor of a BBS02? Goofy!

I have a BBS02 currently. I want to upgrade it to a BBSHD. I found a used BBSHD complete kit for sale for $300 but the owner says the BBSHD’s controller in it currently is hit or miss.

I just wanted to know if I could test his BBSHD with the controller from my BBS02 to make sure it works properly. If it does, I’d buy it and buy a replacement BBSHD controller.

But I’m not going to buy it if I can’t test it somehow.
Why would anyone dumb down a BBSHD in favor of a BBS02? Goofy!

Could it be tested by letting the BBS002 controller flop in the wind? Seems like a lot of work just to get the cover off, and what if they changed a connector.

I have a BBS02 currently. I want to upgrade it to a BBSHD. I found a used BBSHD complete kit for sale for $300 but the owner says the BBSHD’s controller in it currently is hit or miss.

I just wanted to know if I could test his BBSHD with the controller from my BBS02 to make sure it works properly. If it does, I’d buy it and buy a replacement BBSHD controller.

But I’m not going to buy it if I can’t test it somehow.
The first version BBSHD has issues with snapping rotor shafts. I'd never trust buying a used motor. Especially not knowing how it was treated by the first owner.
An LBS friend pointed out that complete rebuild prices out only $70 less than a new barebones drive.
There were changes in controller connections too. Early versions used Anderson connectors. Later versions have bullet connectors.
$430 is edging very close to bare motor pricing.

Back