Upgrading to a BBSHD on a BBS02 based e bike

But I refuse to give up pierogis, kielbasa, haluski and halupki. Even if I am a Kraut, not a Pole.
I really liked squirrel gravy, never had a taste for Racoon, now Groundhog on the other hand quite tasty tastes like "Hoary Marmot!"

8259D442-4A99-487B-837B-54CFC5F0CBAC.jpeg

(Despite the avatar, never ate a squirrel in my life till a year ago, when friends insisted I try it.)

The article I linked praised the Nuvinci above the SA 3sp, but said for the price the SA 3sp was a good stout reliable IGH for a mid motor application. Apparently the SA 3sp middle gear is machined into the central axle itself and if I understand this correctly, is not engaged by powls or dogs like in 5 or higher speed IGHs, and the powls are beefier than the other affordable IGHs. However he does praise the strength and the higher gearing spread of the Nuvincis.
I have a bike that came with the original Nuvinci N171 which is supposed to be the most durable of the Nuvinci line and supposedly compatible with the BBSHD. With pedal power only it eventually failed and developed an axle wobble that cannot be fixed because the bearings are not adjustable. Also it contains a special non Newtonian oil that isn't available (I saw one seller who sold old oil recovered from failed units). The continuous variable gearing is pretty amazing, it was a great climber in the lowest range but still had a fast highest range. Downside, besides mine failing, is that it is extremely heavy at almost 9 pounds for the hub alone.

Here are some specs taken from the eco-ebike web site:

The Legendary NuVinci N171 Continuously Variable Transmission Hub​

• Strongest CVT (like IGH but continuously variable shift ratio) available, compatible with BBSHD and comparably powered mid drives
  • Rare and Sought After, Long Discontinued
  • Very Reliable and we have stock of Supplies and Rebuild Kits
  • Available in Black 32H, or Silver 36H
  • Everything but cable housing included (need 2x cable housing as there are dual upshift and downshift lines)
  • Gear Sensor Highly Recommended (will not shift under load)
  • Can shift around 40% at standstill
  • Ultimate Hub for pairing with E-bike Mid Drive Motor Kits
  • Brake Options: Rim, Disc, or Roller Brake
  • Speed / Ratio Range: 350% (0.5 Under-Drive and 1.75 Over-Drive)
  • Speed / Ratio Steps: Infinite Variable within Ratio Range
  • Hub Shell Material : Aluminum w/ Corrosion Resistant Coating
  • Weight: <8.75lb / 4kg

Before it broke I liked it so much that I laced a N360 version into my wife's Schwinn cruiser bike. That was several years ago but it still works fine, has a wider range and weighs less (but is still heavy). Because my wife no longer can ride that bike I put the wheel in my bike that had the N171 along with a TSDZ2. The combination was excellent and on a very hilly ride I was able to keep up with a more fit rider who was on my Yamaha powered gravel bike. Here is a picture from when I had the tongsheng on that bike with the n360.

1641920267138.png

Several years but not that many miles. I bought that bike mostly to ride along with my wife when she was riding her Schwinn Cruiser 6. Super comfortable bike though.
FWIW it didn't develop an oil leak, for some unknown reason the axle became loose. I did ride it on very hilly routes and because it did so well on steep grades I even took it "off road" on some extremely steep hills where I was standing and pedaling hard (with rear wheel spin) to make it up. Maybe, like any random product failure, it was a fluke.

Good memories having fun with that bike. Here it is in '14 carrying our new puppy at that time. Bike now sitting in a shed.

P1030383.JPG

Those new single speed e-chains came in today. They look good. Notice in the second photo the pin length in the image second from the bottom compared to the quick link third from the bottom. The second from the bottom is a ten-speed chain. These new ones are much beefier. See the width of the side plates. One of these chains we be ideal for when that Nevinci arrives
1641945076657.jpeg

1641945247188.jpeg

Tried to send this yesterday with another, this 1500 watt build works rather well

Attachments

• 100_0028.JPG
    100_0028.JPG
    411.6 KB · Views: 203
Those new single speed e-chains came in today. They look good. Notice in the second photo the pin length in the image second from the bottom compared to the quick link third from the bottom. The second from the bottom is a ten-speed chain. These new ones are much beefier. See the width of the side plates. One of these chains we be ideal for when that Nevinci arrives
View attachment 111584

thanks! I’m very weak in chain knowledge. Where are wide and narrow used. I don’t understand the two different applications. My Pure needs a chain and my new single speed MAC 10T does too.

thanks! I’m very weak in chain knowledge. Where are wide and narrow used. I don’t understand the two different applications. My Pure needs a chain and my new single speed MAC 10T does too.
@tomjasz, If cassettes of gears are all the same width, then to create more sprockets they each need to be narrower with thinner metal, more closely spaced. That makes them less robust. An eight speed has wider cogs and a wider chain than a twelve speed. Width increases contact area. Imagine getting stepped on by a stiletto heel verses the heal of a running shoe. The running shoe is better. Single speed chains, as used on a Pure three speed, also have a greater distance between the links. Here is a photo of a single speed chainring with an eight speed chain. If you view the bottom of the chainring you will see a gap. They are not cross compatible. My expensive SRAM Eagle eleven speed lasted three weeks. I yanked it and installed a generic nine speed which is much more robust and parts are less expensive.
1642094460163.jpeg

1642093895835.png
1642094030836.jpeg

Back