Simple electric bicycle for transport from A to B, summer and winter

Losna

Region
Europe
City
Holbæk, Denmark
Hi from Denmark, and thank you for allowing me to join this resourceful forum.

When retiring I swapped the car for this tool.
Am driving max. 15 miles for shopping, and to the train station.
The alu frame is build by an old danish bicycle company named SCO.
The battery, motor and electronics is from the danish firm Promovec, who home-sourced production from China a few years ago. A fine move in my opinion.
The rest is Shimano parts.

European standard, ie. 250w and max 25 km/h, Battery Li-Ion 36V 11Ah, 4 level pedal assist.
Front motor, simple V-brake, and the low maintanance Shimano Nexus 7 gear on the rear hub.
Tyre 700x38

Bought it new 1½ yrs ago for what equals to USD 1150, and still working flawless, but only driven 1700 km so far.

Extra: New saddle, frame- and cable lock, watertight compartment for the Android phone, rear view mirror, side baskets, backpack and front basket which I rarely use, floor pump, and a clown horn (making people smile instead of getting angry when used).

SCO3.jpg

Nice bike. How cold is winter in Denmark? We suddenly dropped from a high of 30C a few days ago to the seasonal 12C, and I am very sad,

dropped to 7-10C today, from 12-16 yesterday.
We rarely have snow anymore.

Last edited:
Velkommen,
It is simple. I love simple. Looks ideal for your needs.
I happen to live in a place with large hills, so I require a different setup where the motor pulls the chain through the gears. Here are a couple of your bike's Coastal Northern California cousins. The first has a Nexus and dynamo with commuter fenders, upright riding position, rack and pannier. The next has a lax riding position, mid-step, comfort bar, and commuter coffee holder. It has discs for wet roads and exposed gears that cost $20 to replace. The third one is a modern take on a simple, low maintenance commuter bike. It has a 46 tooth chainring to an 11-47 cassette of gears. The top speed is 48 kph with a 90Nm cargo motor. I do not go that fast just like I wouldn't drive a car at its top speed. The final bike has internal gears and brakes. It is an updated classic. It also has a dynamo light and it has an integrated lock.

Attachments

• Breezer9.JPG
    Breezer9.JPG
    474.3 KB · Views: 88
  • VidaMidStep8.JPG
    VidaMidStep8.JPG
    456.4 KB · Views: 88
  • Marin eStinson 2b.jpg
    Marin eStinson 2b.jpg
    963.8 KB · Views: 96
  • DSCF7861.JPG
    DSCF7861.JPG
    982.4 KB · Views: 106
Tak :)

I like no four, and yes Denmark is flatland, so I can do with the rather weak front motor.

@Losna, I think you are exactly correct. Get what is appropriate to the task. Your setup is ideal for your needs. It looks like I had smudges on the lens for the omafiets (grandmother) bike. That bike is an extra-large men's bike. People here assume that it is a 'girl's' bike. In the Netherlands men use these practical bikes daily and in all weather as transportation. It will fit men who are 2m tall, that is about 6'5. They can step-through with dress pants or not do a round-house kick to the baby riding on the back whilst mounting the bike. That photo is very telling about my riding conditions. You see Redwood trees, hills, and a cactus. It has a small battery because my town is only 6.4 square km. And I am less the 2 km from the train on a flat protected bike path. If you liked that one you might enjoy this internally geared hub Nexus 8 classic with a mid-drive. It has a 504 wh battery because of the hills it climbs. Its chain is as strong as a belt with a protected internal coaster brake.

Attachments

• Globe5 (2).JPG
    Globe5 (2).JPG
    606.1 KB · Views: 72
:)

At the train station, we have a DIY repair station
Repair2.jpg

And for a small fee, we can carry the bike
Train2.jpg

Hi @Losna, late to this thread.

I'd start with I love the country and could explore various part of Denmark both on business and for pleasure (the last stay in the middle of the pandemic, August 2020 thanks to the liberal Danish law that only required staying for 6 nights in Denmark, or, to have a "honorable reason" to be there) :)

I have always admired the Danish cycling. All those bike paths, unidirectional! As 6 nights is a lot to see Copenhagen and Helsingør :) (even with a ferry trip to Helsingborg Sweden!), I took the opportunity to rent bicycles from the Donkey Republic and explore Copenhagen a little bit more. Oh, that was easy! There was a single significant climb in CPH (by the Zoo) but even I could make it unassisted!

1698159607926.png

For you who cannot understand Danish: "100% Rye Bread Motor" :D

1698159736088.png

I guess the climb was in Roskildevej. I barely made it on a traditional bicycle with 3-gear IGH!

I was impressed with so many cargo e-bikes in Copenhagen, many of them made in the Free Town of Christiania!

Congratulations on your practical e-bike, Losna!

Back