Simon Cowell breaks back falling from ebike

When I first heard 'celebrity' and 'ebike' and 'broken back' in the same sentence, I immediately ruled out Shatner ( a REAL 'celebrity') and ruled out Pedego, because their ebikes are too heavy to attempt wheelies, and other celebs like Schwarz would never be caught dead on anything like what a fake celeb like Cowell would ride. So it had to be someone like Cowell, who's PR agent would (naturally and slimily) leave out all details except 'ebike' so MSM could fill in all sorts of other fake news, and allow them to inherently cast blame on the ebike, and not the rider. MSM took the bait, and with no other facts added conveniently that 'experts' say ebikes are '3 times more dangerous' than regular bikes. Classic MSM fake news. Of course Cowell has always been super nice to all contestants on his various shows, who are sending him thousands of eCards wishing him a fast recovery.
In late breaking news, Politico reports that doctors at Simon's treating hospital have changed the cause of the injuries to Covid-19. Cowell reportedly told them after his surgery, and after they told him his bill, that his Covid19 mask blew up and over his eyes, due to the high rate of speed he miraculously achieved in his small courtyard. (Hospital receives $15k Federal bonus for every Covid19 treated patient.)

Was he trying to do a wheelie on that M1 Spitzing in his courtyard ??

He definitely doesn't have the skills to be riding an 120NM 45mph ebike. A Spitzing R pedelec is wicked fast.
Ebikes are a lot of fun, but the rider needs a lot of skill sets to master them.

And the most imp. Q - Is the ebike okay ??

More details from Electrek... ;)

RTFM, e-bikers

TV personality and talent seeker Simon Cowell got a new e-bike.
The Daily Mail reports it was an $8,500 CAB Recon (pictured below), which CAB Motorworks claims is “the most powerful production electric bicycle on the planet.” It’s capable of going more than 60 mph. But then Cowell fell off his bike at his Malibu, California, home on Saturday and broke three vertebrae his back. According to the Sun, he accidentally pulled a wheelie. He’s now undergone surgery to insert a steel rod into his spine and is recovering.

His advice, post-surgery, to e-bike riders? Some good advice… If you buy an electric trail bike, read the manual before you ride it for the first time. Cowell is British and splits his time between his homes in the UK and the US. And as UK micromobility retailer Pure Electric points out, there’s a big difference between what’s allowed in the UK and the US when it comes to e-bikes:

1597075428166.png

US e-bikes:

• Motors allowed up to 750 watts
  • 3 tiers of e-bike class
  • Some e-bike motors operate even if you’re not pedaling (more like an electric motorbike)
  • Motors cut out at 20mph
  • Some top-tier e-bike motors only cut out at speeds of 28mph
UK e-bikes:
  • Must be 14 years old to use one
  • Motor restricted to 250 watts
  • Motor no longer assists pedaling when speed reaches 15.5mph
  • Must pedal for motor to operate
  • If an e-bike doesn’t meet these requirements it is classed as a motorcycle
So e-bike riders in the US have access to a lot more power, and regulations are looser. US people (and you too, UK folks), read the manual, wear a helmet, and ride carefully.

Last edited:
More details from Electrek... https://electrek.co/2020/08/10/egeb-simon-cowell-e-bike-accident-barbados-electric-buses/

View attachment 61921

RTFM, e-bikers
The Daily Mail reports it was an $8,500 CAB Recon (pictured above), which CAB Motorworks claims is “the most powerful production electric bicycle on the planet.” It’s capable of going more than 60 mph. But then Cowell fell off his bike at his Malibu, California, home on Saturday and broke three vertebrae his back. According to the Sun, he accidentally pulled a wheelie. He’s now undergone surgery to insert a steel rod into his spine and is recovering.

His advice, post-surgery, to e-bike riders? Some good advice… If you buy an electric trail bike, read the manual before you ride it for the first time. Cowell is British and splits his time between his homes in the UK and the US. And as UK micromobility retailer Pure Electric points out, there’s a big difference between what’s allowed in the UK and the US when it comes to e-bikes:

US e-bikes:

• Some e-bike motors operate even if you’re not pedaling (more like an electric motorbike)
UK e-bikes:

So e-bike riders in the US have access to a lot more power, and regulations are looser. US people (and you too, UK folks), read the manual, wear a helmet, and ride carefully.
60 mph is NOT an ebike. It should be called an e-motorcycle, that should have a VIN number (provided by the manufacturer) and be required to be registered with the DOT, and require a motorcycle license to be allowed to ride it. And sadly, he probably wasn't wearing a motorcycle helmet either ... and its stories like this that could cause politicians to add onerously more regulations to ebikes that only go 28 mph, where those Class limited ebikes really aren't anywhere near as dangerous as MSM is rather unfortunately mis-leading everyone to believe. P.S. Ironically, I bet sales of the CAB Recon now skyrocket, especially here in the US.

Last edited by a moderator:
More details from Electrek... https://electrek.co/2020/08/10/egeb-simon-cowell-e-bike-accident-barbados-electric-buses/

View attachment 61921

RTFM, e-bikers
The Daily Mail reports it was an $8,500 CAB Recon (pictured above), which CAB Motorworks claims is “the most powerful production electric bicycle on the planet.” It’s capable of going more than 60 mph. But then Cowell fell off his bike at his Malibu, California, home on Saturday and broke three vertebrae his back. According to the Sun, he accidentally pulled a wheelie. He’s now undergone surgery to insert a steel rod into his spine and is recovering.

US e-bikes:

UK e-bikes:

I hope he gets well soon, accidents may happen to everyone and we shouldn't judge him for the accident. Broken back is very serious.

My problem about these news is that That thing is NOT AN EBIKE. It has two models which gives 8 and 17HP !!! on a dyno (8 and 17 TIMES over the legal limit of 750W). It really bothers me that small companies are abusing the definition by putting pedals on their electric motorcycles.

You hit the switch on one of those and you had better be prepared for the front wheel to come up for sure. Actually with that much power pegs would be preferable to pedals and they aren't fooling anybody by using them. Say you have the cranks horizontal and give it, the force would cause one or the other of your legs to back pedal further putting your weight bias to the rear. With pegs you wouldn't get that action but you still would want to have your chest on the handlebars.

Well, to my way of thinking, he wanted to see what it would do when he grabbed a handful of throttle. Unfortunately, he found out the hard way.

I've read he's an experienced rider, so I believe if he had more room when he did that, the outcome might have been different.

Twist throttles can cause that too. If you have a handfull of (twist) throttle when loosing your balance, it can be very difficult releasing that throttle. It's not like you can take your hand off of the handlebar (throttle) when the front wheel is in the air for instance. That's not a factor when using a thumb throttle.

Not related, but this thread got me wondering since somebody was talking about bike insurance.

Knock on wood , but

Say you are riding your bicycle, and get in an accident, causing physicial harm to another or property damage (eg car crash), and even though it was an accident, it was determined to be your fault.

Would your auto insurance cover any of that, or could you personally get sued for the full cost of any damages and have to pay out of pocket?

I doubt auto insurance would cover it. If you were riding a regular bike and bashed into someone or smashed through their fence, you would have a moral responsibility to make it right, wouldn't you? You would offer to pay for getting the fence fixed or cover any additional medical costs that the person's medical insurance didn't cover, wouldn't you?

Not related, but this thread got me wondering since somebody was talking about bike insurance.

Knock on wood , but

Say you are riding your bicycle, and get in an accident, causing physicial harm to another or property damage (eg car crash), and even though it was an accident, it was determined to be your fault.

Would your auto insurance cover any of that, or could you personally get sued for the full cost of any damages and have to pay out of pocket?
I believe you could be personally sued. There have been long discussions here about accidents and liability, usually after a well publicized bicycle accident. One recently after a road biker riding at speed on a bike path and hit someone. Then the speculation about riding a class of ebike not permitted was raised. I've never been sued and never sued anyone, but had a friend sued for 25 million. He won the case, if you can call it a win after 2 years of misery and the associated costs.

I can't answer your question with any certainty. Its something to consider.

Auto insurance does not cover bicycle accidents. You can buy e-bike insurance and liability coverage is an option. You can also buy a general umbrella insurance policy to cover you for various situations not covered by other insurance or for costs above what basic policies cover. Anybody can sue anyone else but generally in a negligence action, to pay you have to have done something wrong (breached a duty) and your action was the cause of an injury. For example if you run a stop sign, hit someone and they were hurt. If you did nothing wrong and the other person was hurt due to their actions you are not liable. Of course riding an e bike imposes a duty to do that carefully taking the care and precautions usually expected of a reasonable person, and, generally, not breaking any laws.

Back