Side car for rad mini?

Pale rider

Greetings, again.I am pale rider, throwing out the idea of a sidecar for pets on a rad mini? I haven’t heard of anyone doing this on a mini. Is it doable? Has any one out there had with expearience with side cars? If it is “doable” , I’d like to do it without welding, if possible. My poor molly puts on her sad face every time I go out riding. Thanks in advance, rider.

Hey Rider! Welcome to the forum. Just wanted to let you know I've moved your post to the Rad thread in hopes that another member can help answer your question.

Maybe just because I don't have a dog giving me the sad look, but it seems to me a side car with dog is going to add considerable weight. Maybe not too big a deal on the flats, but even the slightest incline is going to be a killer. Transporting may not be that fun either. I'd stick with a trailer.

I'd wager that you'd burn that motor out after a while with a loaded sidecar, even if all you ride on are flat surfaces

There are trailer options

Attachments

• F65832DE-DD2A-4E0C-8974-43C9BF1D55F5.jpeg
    F65832DE-DD2A-4E0C-8974-43C9BF1D55F5.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 869
Agreed, there are other trailer options and a Rad mini can easily pull a small dog. Should be easy to attach too.

You may want an extra handlebar mirror pointed at the trailer, because they pull so easy on flat ground, you sometimes wonder if the payload is still back there.,

Thank you all for your input. I’ve been looking at sidecars for awhile now, I haven’t considered the drag factor on only one side. Even if I only use it on occasion it could cause damage. I like the look of the Schwinn, looks to be a secure ride.I will keep you posted on how molly likes it. I’ll try to include pix, but it might take awhile. Every time we get rid of the snow it returns two fold, we just got 5”, isn’t this ( spring)?

A side car is probably not a feasible idea, due to the points where stress would be highest on the frame and motor. A side car Weighs considerably More than a Bicycle trailer. ?

A side car for a small dog under 30 pounds makes sense though. That would weigh about the same as a trailer if done with fabric. It would have to pivot to allow the bike to lean.

How about bolting a suitably sized box on the rear rack? I know, it would put the weight up high, which is not ideal. But if a small dog, might work.

How about bolting a suitably sized box on the rear rack? I know, it would put the weight up high, which is not ideal. But if a small dog, might work.
Yep, a Small kennel carrier would work unless he's used to riding, then maybe a Milk crate would work for him ? ?

Back