Show your cockpit

Allroads

I'm looking for ideas for my cockpit. Having a new toy I will need a decent mirror and horn.
Some of our local drivers are nasty.
With all this down time we're all getting antsy waiting to for a ride and still nippy here in Montreal, about 50 f average.

From left to right - SQ Lab Grips -Mirror - Bosch Motor/Display Control - High Beam Switch - Knog Oi 1800 Lumen Light - Nyon Display - USB Horn - Quad Lock Phone Mount - Horn Button - AXS Controller - Kong Oi Bell - All on Baramind City Shock Absorber Handlebars.

20200322_101818.jpg

I go for the simple effect on my eMTB. Mirror, small function control, bell, tucked in display, Two Fish light mount, Brakes, Shifter (Grip) and Grips.

Added one more thing, a gps mount. Stock mount in a D Plate similar to what the display is mounted to. Still need to modify the plate a little as it was meant for another display. Had to swap sides with the disply to achieve the right attitude. Easy enough to do, just cut loose the double sided tape that adheres it to the plate, flipped it over and put new tape on what was the back.

I prefer to keep the electronics out of the line of fire(sales). Probably won’t use the gps much on this bike as I do for my eX bikes but I had the bike in the stand swapping the nylon gear for a brass one and certainly have the time......

37518E20-1CE1-4C37-9213-8BA964A676B2.jpeg

Attachments

• eQBall bar setup.jpg
    eQBall bar setup.jpg
    207.5 KB · Views: 433
Last edited:
I've been tweaking my new-ish bike. Here's where I was as of yesterday:

OldCockpit.jpg

To follow @Alaskan's lead, from L to R:
Left: Weanas Grip, Shimano MT-400 brake lever, Bafang thumb throttle, Bafang 860C keypad
Center: Bafang 860C display, Garmin 800 Edge and Cygolite 600 Metro light (hidden under the Garmin) on a K-Edge 505 Combo XL mount
Right: PNW Dropper post lever, SRAM GX Shifter, Shimano MT-400 brake lever, Weanas Grip

All on SQLab 30X 16 deg Carbon MTB Handlebar.

Here's where I'm at as of today:
NewCockpit1.jpg

Left: Weanas Grip, Shimano MT-400 brake lever, Bafang thumb throttle, EggRider
Center: Cygolite 600 Metro light on a K-Edge 505 Combo XL mount, Gub phone holder with iPhone X running EggRider App Dashboard
Right: PNW Dropper post lever, SRAM GX Shifter, Shimano MT-400 brake lever, Weanas Grip

Front View:
NewCockpit2.jpg

Still way too many hoses and cables, but this is a workable cockpit and having the EggRider lets me get down to just one display where I run bike dashboard and navigation.

Anyone got any pointers to their favorite navigation apps for bicycling? On the Garmin, I was able to download .TCX files and it would "beep" at the turn points, but the display was so small I didn't always know exactly what the beep meant.

Last edited:
I've now done two 15 mile rides on this setup and so far I'm really liking it. The big Bafang display plus a Garmin 800 still didn't give me all the functionality I wanted, and while I had been trying to avoid mounting the phone on the handlebars, I wish I had done that sooner. There are so many different programs (Strava, Gaia, etc.) for recording rides and for which you can plan a route to follow, and now with the EggRider I don't even need a dedicated bike display (OK the EggRider itself has a tiny display which just shows the basics).

The GUB phone mount is also quite good as long as you're willing to take the phone out of its case. Since I use an Apple bi-fold case (it holds my credit cards, driver's license, etc. as well), I just pop the phone out and put the empty case in my underseat bag. The mount's fingers are angled such that they do a really good job holding the phone securely (some people use this mount on their motorcycles), but only if you don't have a thick case. Thick cases will mean the fingers are too short.

It comes with rubber stickers for the fingers, and I do expect those will wear out, but I can figure out how to replace them later. I also did put a piece of 3M Mastic rubber tape (it's like a really thick electrical tape) on the bottom of the holder so that it wouldn't scratch the phone, but I probably didn't even need to do that. But, that tape does stop of the phone from sliding when you attaching or removing. I suppose if you had a thin silicone rubber case you could not worry about any of this, but that's not how I roll.

The latest and final modifications to my Lovelec Diadem. I finally figured out the only practical position of the mirrors with the Ergon GP5 grips. No more accessories will fit the handlebars. I had enough trouble to find space for the large smartphone to not obscure the bike's display... There is a mount for the CatEye Volt 1700 headlight at the right side of the display but I didn't insert the lamp for this photo.

1587560584635.png

. No more accessories will fit the handlebars. I had enough trouble to find space for the large smartphone to not obscure the bike's display... There is a mount for the CatEye Volt 1700 headlight at the right side of the display but I didn't insert the lamp for this photo.

View attachment 50540
There's a bare section of bar to the right of the display. Looks like an opportunity! Maybe an electronic horn, hanging below the bar to miss the headlamp? 😎

Missing a Go-Pro camera.
Yeah. Safety belt and air-bag missing, too 🤣
(The headlight occupies all the remaining space).

At least now, after re-organising the handlebars (the mirrors!), the bike is decently narrow; though I hate looking downwards to check the rear view. I also think the horns make it safe to turn the bike upside down for a wheel repair now.

Yeah. Safety belt and air-bag missing, too 🤣
(The headlight occupies all the remaining space).

At least now, after re-organising the handlebars (the mirrors!), the bike is decently narrow; though I hate looking downwards to check the rear view. I also think the horns make it safe to turn the bike upside down for a wheel repair now.
For the first time ever I am trying a bar mounted mirror. I liked the look of the right hand mirror mounted under the bar on the left that others have reported. Like you, I was unhappy with trying to look at a mirror mounted below the handlebar. Took my eyes off the road too often whereas my helmet mounted mirror lets me keep the road in full view the entire time. I remounted the mirror on the right as intended to see how I like that arrangement. If it's good, I order a left mirror and try again.

Back