SHOW us YOUR PIX here .... Odd, WeiRd ,UnUSuAl or EyE CaTchIng things from your rides

IMG_2527.jpeg

I visit the island of Kauai in Hawaii often. So often that I decided to take a bike there and leave it there. Unfortunately, it isn't an electric bike. I could use one there. I was riding one day on an isolated road and saw a person with a motorcycle stopped on the side navigating a drone. I passed him up and he later passed me with the drone following him. It appeared the drone was tracking him. It was a category 4 hill which is why I could have used an electric bike.

Screenshot 2023-09-25 at 9.00.12 AM.png

Still climbing the hill, the motorcycle rider passed me going down the hill with the drone tracking him again. I decided to take my GoPro out when I reached the top of the hill and hoped he would pass me again while I went down the hill. As it turned out he was going up the hill while I was going down. You have to zoom in to see the drone.

Screenshot 2023-09-23 at 3.21.25 PM.png

You also have to zoom in to see the drone as I passed the motorcycle rider.

Screenshot 2023-09-23 at 3.21.39 PM.png

Here you can see the drone in the top left.

Screenshot 2023-09-23 at 3.22.10 PM.png

Ok here is a question. The roads are being repaved here for about a 4 mile stretch. The paving is incomplete in some parts. Initially, I stayed off the main highway with the paving. I took an alternate route which involved riding on an unpaved surface for 1.5 miles. On the weekend I decided to ride on the main highway. There are several areas where you have to crossover from the unpaved road to the paved road. The first time I decided to walk my bike over the ridge. Later, I attempted to just ride my bike over the ridge. Not all in the same area, but I made it successfully over the ridge with no incident at least 30 times until I didn't. Yes, when crossing over you cannot parallel the ridge. You also can't go at too great of an angle otherwise you will end up in the car lane. I have no idea why I fell. Maybe the angle wasn't great enough or the gravel was loose. Fortunately, I went down with no cars on the road behind me. I did end up partially in the car lane. The most embarrassing part was all the cars that stopped to see if I need help. I wanted to just lay there for a few minutes to recover but I had to get up to tell everyone I was ok. A few scrapes but nothing broken. Would you attempt to ride over the ridge? I decided not to ride over the ridge anymore. By the way, the speed limit on that highway is 50 mph.

Screenshot 2023-09-23 at 3.11.54 PM.png

Last edited:
Would you attempt to ride over the ridge?
I would do that very slowly with the front wheel at a high attack angle (just creeping speed). My first e-bike crash occurred on a just symbolic ridge but I was riding at 20 mph with the front wheel almost parallel to the edge.

Not by Kia Souls
The front grill makes me wonder if that's an old Airstream?[
Scooted 4 of these little rascals off the Des Plaines River Trail today. Sunbathing in the warm afternoon sun. I wonder how many get run over this time of year….😥

View attachment 163177
Interesting creatures. They still give me a jolt when I see them. "Zero at the bone" was Emily Dickinson's way of describing the feeling. I once embarrassed one in the process of swallowing a small slug. Around here (NW Washington) we have no poisonous snakes. A lady out in the rural part of the county once called the sheriff to report a "snake ball" (a big tangled ball of snakes that hibernate that way). She wanted to sheriff to do something about it. She got upset when he ignored her. She apparently thought garter snakes were dangerous.

We had to stop and take a photo of this enormous cracked rock by the side of the road in Connecticut. I like to imagine how the heck this rock originally got here (rolled down a hill? Carried underwater by giant waves millions of years ago?)

View attachment 161520
If your area ever had glaciers, that could be a glacial erratic. It would be frozen into or onto an ice floe, and dropped wherever it ran aground. We have a fair number of them on our beaches here. You can recognize them because they are granite from British Columbia, and we have no local granite in NW Washington. At least none along our shorelines.

Don’t have a cow, man.

I stopped by this excavator parked at the side of the road to remove my windbreaker during today’s ride and immediately noticed a herd of cows began gathering near the fence all while mooing incessantly. I don’t know what I did to cause this cowmotion but I swear my body odor wasn’t that bad.

PXL_20230927_173534828.jpg

PXL_20230927_173546392.MP.jpg

Don’t have a cow, man.

I stopped by this excavator parked at the side of the road to remove my windbreaker during today’s ride and immediately noticed a herd of cows began gathering near the fence all while mooing incessantly. I don’t know what I did to cause this cowmotion but I swear my body odor wasn’t that bad.

View attachment 163465
View attachment 163466
Cows get curious and will gather and watch when they see something unusual.

Back