SHOW us YOUR PIX here .... Odd, WeiRd ,UnUSuAl or EyE CaTchIng things from your rides

0629201247_Film1.jpg

Is that the percentage of grade?
Sierratim, did you try cycling up that grade just to see how your ebike performed?
Yes, it's a percent grade slope warning. This road gets slippery in the Winter so this slope is even worse then. The road does get closed several times each Winter for ice and snow. The snowplows can't even make it down safely then.

I did ride up this today. Lowest gear in the Vado for the first time. Turbo all the way up. I was standing and pumping for the last 100 yards or so. The app was reporting my power at 270W, the motor at just over 700W by then. Not bad for a 250W 'nominal' mid-drive motor, and a 70-ish rider!

Took the sign pic while taking a break, for me and the motor.

Yes, it's a percent grade slope warning. This road gets slippery in the Winter so this slope is even worse then. The road does get closed several times each Winter for ice and snow. The snowplows can't even make it down safely then.

I did ride up this today. Lowest gear in the Vado for the first time. Turbo all the way up. I was standing and pumping for the last 100 yards or so. The app was reporting my power at 270W, the motor at just over 700W by then. Not bad for a 250W 'nominal' mid-drive motor, and a 70-ish rider!

Took the sign pic while taking a break, for me and the motor.
I've never seen anything over 18% in my travels - this insane! Well done Sierratim.

Where about is this grade if you don't mind me asking?

I've never seen anything over 18% in my travels - this insane! Well done Sierratim.

Where about is this grade if you don't mind me asking?
It's the main road to the far side of the lake nearest to us, Scotts Flat Lake. It's a mile or two from the lake. Locally infamous for Winter spin-outs.

It's the main road to the far side of the lake nearest to us, Scotts Flat Lake. It's a mile or two from the lake. Locally infamous for Winter spin-outs.
Thanks for sharing friend.

Your post reminded me of driving a rental car around San Francisco 12 years ago (fall thankfully, not winter) and how crazy those grades could get. You have yourself there quite the hill for anyone to climb, ebike or acoustic.

I smelled this burning way before I could see it. it is on a bike path that I just turned onto. it had some flames still going I stopped out while calling 911. by the time I got off the phone it was pretty much out so I did not stick around. it was right by a homeless camp. too bad my built in fire extinguisher was out of fuel :D
61517273547__D7F74E3A-611E-4FCB-A6C4-D21AF6FD8689.JPG

Is that the percentage of grade?
Sierratim, did you try cycling up that grade just to see how your ebike performed?
no way you could I hit a road that was over 20% with my Bosch speed bike and even standing up on the peddles I was doing only 2 miles an hour and was hard and I weight 190. maybe with one 1000 watt mid drives.

no way you could I hit a road that was over 20% with my Bosch speed bike and even standing up on the peddles I was doing only 2 miles an hour and was hard and I weight 190. maybe with one 1000 watt mid drives.
I wasn't sure my Vado 5 could do this, even with the Specialized 1.3 motor. The torque-speed curve that Specialized published a few years ago shows 90Nm peak torqu at up to 50 rpm. With the 48t chainring and 42t cog I'd have to ride at just over 5 mph to get max torque. Maybe...

I'd used the Grin tech motor simulator when selecting parts for my DIY ebike. The results were quite close to real world performance. They've added mid-drive motors since then, but not the Specialized 1.3. As it turns out they have modeled the Bafang BBSHD. The online specs for this motor don't match the Specialized 1.3 well but Grin has modeled it with the actual electrical properties of the motor. Their results with a 36V battery vs the rated 48V battery indicate that it actually has a similar torque-speed curve so I used that as a substitute; https://www.ebikes.ca/tools/simulat...mph&mid=true&gear=1&tf=48&tr=42&batt=B3614_PF . This predicts a speed of 4 mph up a 31% grade. 444W with 88Nm output at 4 mph. Close to the 1.3 motor and close enough for a test run.

It all worked out. Neither the motor nor I over heated. The long gradual descent was very nice.

We rode another chunk of the Olympic Discovery Trail between Sequim and Port Angeles, WA the other day. Near the Audubon Center is a bridge over a branch of the Dungeness River which has some really fine Jamestown S'Klallam art embedded in it.

Attachments

• Audubon bridge with Bill.jpg
    Audubon bridge with Bill.jpg
    236 KB · Views: 299
  • Audubon bridge1.jpg
    Audubon bridge1.jpg
    189.2 KB · Views: 317
  • S'kallam art at bridge.jpg
    S'kallam art at bridge.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 305
  • Dungeness river from bridge.jpg
    Dungeness river from bridge.jpg
    229.4 KB · Views: 308
Tried another new route in my area today...I have hundreds, maybe thousands of kms worth of farmland area to ride in - right out of my driveway.

Will need to mount my 4K GoPro on my new bike to capture pics and videos to share and see how I make out when I do.

Anyways, 32C and windy today - once again thankful to be riding electric each time I turned into that headwind. Another 136kms on the odometer.

2020-07-02 15.33.01.jpg

2020-07-02 16.26.35.jpg

Back