SHOW us YOUR PIX here .... Odd, WeiRd ,UnUSuAl or EyE CaTchIng things from your rides

David does it ever freeze there?
Of course it gets a bit chilly at times. Here's a photo of Ben and me taken in January a few years ago (2007 actually). I've mislaid the location but it must be somewhere in the southern Queensland highlands; the hill furthest to the left has a familiar profile.
nepal_066_a.jpg

Perhaps, this was the photo I was looking for. The same two in July 1984 when it did snow in the southern highlands (at around 900 m). It took me ages to rake up that amount of the white stuff! Any blizzards between then and now have escaped my notice.
1984-07-bd.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Of course it gets a bit chilly at times. Here's a photo of Ben and me taken in January a few years ago (2007 actually). I've mislaid the location but it must be somewhere in the southern Queensland highlands; the hill furthest to the left has a familiar profile.
View attachment 44055

Perhaps, this was the photo I was looking for. The same two in July 1984 when it did snow in the southern highlands (at around 900 m). It took me ages to rake up that amount of the white stuff!
View attachment 44056
Nice pics ...dig the Addidas too!

Taken on my last cycle tour across South Island, NZ …
View attachment 43921

About one third of the flock had already passed me (I was on my Airnimal folder), then these ewes, followed by the remaining third of the flock which can be seen approaching from the left beyond the motorhome.

Just go to New Zealand; it's a beautiful and friendly place. Ebikes can be provided.

There's a story about a police chase where the villains were out in the country and giving the cops a run for their money. They came round the corner and here's this great big mob of sheep. They got nicked. And it turns out the sheep were owned by another cop who just happened to be moving them between farms.

Classic NZ road ride — around Lake Taupo in a day …
2005_12_19_taupo_ruapehu_ebr.jpg

Lake Taupo with Ruapehu beyond.
165 km in a day? Piece of cake (helped down with several coffees). It must be easy cycling around a lake! Oh, but this is New Zealand which is a touch mountainous.

What a ride! Best ever? Definitely one of my most memorable days on a bike.

The straight line distance from where I took the photo at the start/finish of the ride in the town of Taupo to Mount Ruapehu (2797 m) is 100 km. What you see in the photo is roughly 50 km across the lake plus another 50 km to Mount Ruapehu. Don't be complacent, that volcano is in working order.
taupo-map.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Classic NZ road ride — around Lake Taupo in a day …
View attachment 44077
Lake Taupo with Ruapehu beyond.
165 km in a day? Piece of cake (helped down with several coffees). It must be easy cycling around a lake! Oh, but this is New Zealand which is a touch mountainous.

What a ride! Best ever? Definitely one of my most memorable days on a bike.

The straight line distance from where I took the photo at the start/finish of the ride in the town of Taupo to Mount Ruapehu (2797 m) is 100 km. What you see in the photo is roughly 50 km across the lake plus another 50 km to Mount Ruapehu. Don't be complacent, that volcano is in working order.
View attachment 44078
Wow incredible ride...how long did that take you?

Tough day for a ride today. Low 80's F, light wind and clear skies. I had ridden past the trail head for the Cape Haze Pioneer trail dozens of times, but today was the first time I stopped. I had never noticed the bike repair station with more bike tools than I will ever own cabled to it. Alas, no electrical outlet for charging batteries.

On our return trip, we stopped at one of our favorite waterside restaurants for lunch and a cold beer about mile 12. If two riders weren't leaving when we arrived, there would have been no place at the bike rack to park. There was a smaller rack around the corner that had four more bikes in it. Ours were the only two ebikes.

Attachments

• Lunch Stop.jpg
    Lunch Stop.jpg
    116.9 KB · Views: 299
  • Repair Station.jpg
    Repair Station.jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 312
  • Trail Head.jpg
    Trail Head.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 320
Back