SHOW us YOUR PIX here .... Odd, WeiRd ,UnUSuAl or EyE CaTchIng things from your rides

Once upon a time – when my brother Rob and I were in the first half of our sixties rather than the second half of our seventies – we 'tramped' the Milford, Routeburn and Kepler tracks in the 'Land of the Long White Cloud'.
View attachment 44171

DB tramping towards Glenorchy and Lake Wakatipu in times gone by.
Awesome pic...that place reminds me of B.C. with all the mountains and lots of room. I think I could easily live there. (-:

Pemberton B.C. for comparison
1579224707834.png

Not as deep as further north and I had to drive a bit to get to where I started out on our search for the recent snowfall that was easily visible from the valley floor but was about 15 miles into the west side of the Coast Range and up from town.

Logging roads abound here, miles upon miles and one thing they depend on is road base so you are apt to run across a pit more often than not. This one was an interesting structure because all the rocks on the top half were very cube shaped and looked like it wouldn't take much to get them to come down off of there, albeit not recommended due to the danger that would involve. But the ground pickings looked good if you had a machine and a heavy duty truck/trailer...

Attachments

• IMG_2965.JPG
    IMG_2965.JPG
    646.8 KB · Views: 312
  • IMG_2966.JPG
    IMG_2966.JPG
    592.5 KB · Views: 309
  • IMG_2968.JPG
    IMG_2968.JPG
    733.5 KB · Views: 326
  • IMG_2969.JPG
    IMG_2969.JPG
    891 KB · Views: 331
Another challenging runway to add to Steve's collection …
2006_04_milford_18a-1500.jpg

Quintin Lodge on the Arthur River
We're still in New Zealand, this time on the Milford Track — in the same general area of South Island as Steve's 'Where is it?" photo. Taken in January, so add icing for a winter view.

Sorry, no bikes allowed in these parts although they are permitted out of peak season on some tracks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not as deep as further north and I had to drive a bit to get to where I started out on our search for the recent snowfall that was easily visible from the valley floor but was about 15 miles into the west side of the Coast Range and up from town.

Logging roads abound here, miles upon miles and one thing they depend on is road base so you are apt to run across a pit more often than not. This one was an interesting structure because all the rocks on the top half were very cube shaped and looked like it wouldn't take much to get them to come down off of there, albeit not recommended due to the danger that would involve. But the ground pickings looked good if you had a machine and a heavy duty truck/trailer...
At first I did not see your dog..haha he blends right in!

From when I left high school until I was 30 I earned my living as a club drummer in various cover bands. We traveled western Canada mostly. I have not been to many foreign countries but I have spent at least a few weeks in many of these smaller towns. Prince Rupert, (below) Prince George , Fort St. John, Cranbrook, Medicine Hat , Lethbridge etc. These small towns and all the roads between hold more charm in Summer than Winter.
1579231708363.png

Last edited:
Of course it gets a bit chilly at times. Here's a photo of Ben and me taken in January a few years ago (2007 actually). I've mislaid the location but it must be somewhere in the southern Queensland highlands; the hill furthest to the left has a familiar profile.
View attachment 44055

Perhaps, this was the photo I was looking for. The same two in July 1984 when it did snow in the southern highlands (at around 900 m). It took me ages to rake up that amount of the white stuff! Any blizzards between then and now have escaped my notice.
View attachment 44056
That peak must be AmaDablam in Nepal. I was trekking there in 1977. Was the photo shot from or near Tyangboche?

Ama Dablam on the right; Everest in distance on extreme left.

Yes. We were on our way to Thyangboche. I've added a photo for Steve's mountain airport collection – Lukla seen from the cliff at the end of the runway.
View attachment 44210
Naw, that’s not a runway. This is a runway😄 ( well, actually the same but before asphalt was put on top of the grass)
I got the seat to right of the pilot in the Pilatus Porter and took some photos during our approach. So here are three more for Steve’s collection. Now I have to get back and try to get a picture like yours with Ama Dablam and Everest in one shot. I remember seeing Everest for the first time on our way up to Thyangboche.
1579295896097.jpeg

1579296016372.jpeg

1579296063004.jpeg

Last edited:
That peak must be AmaDablam in Nepal. I was trekking there in 1977. Was the photo shot from or near Tyangboche?
Ama Dablam on the right; Everest in distance on extreme left.

Yes. We were on our way to Thyangboche. I've added a photo for Steve's mountain airport collection – Lukla seen from the cliff at the end of the runway.
View attachment 44210
OH (((((( NOOOO )))))...that cannot be a runway...that is a nightmare!

Naw, that’s not a runway. This is a runway😄 ( well, actually the same but before asphalt was put on top of the grass)
I got the seat to right of the pilot in the Pilatus Porter and took some photos during our approach. So here are three more for Steve’s collection. Now I have to get back and try to get a picture like yours with Ama Dablam and Everest in one shot. I remember seeing Everest for the first time on our way up to Thyangboche.
View attachment 44213

View attachment 44214

View attachment 44215
Say it ain't so PaD....that is impossible

The airline had overbooked so instead of flying a Twin Otter they put us in the smaller plane.
DHC-6 Twin Otter – an iconic Canadian aircraft. I first flew in one from Dar es Salaam to Zanzibar in 1968, then from Kabul to Bamiyan in 1969 (before the Buddhas were destroyed), Entebbe to Murchison Falls (Victoria Nile in Uganda) in 1970 and from Kathmandu to Lukla in 2007.

Now back to bicycles with some photos taken in Kathmandu (visited 1970 on my own; 2001 with Jen; 2007 with son Ben and brother Rob)…

b_1500_526.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Going back to that photo of Davids 165mile ride with Mt Ruapehu in the background. Lake Taupo in the foreground is the crater of a volcano which blew about 1800 years ago. It was the biggest in the world in the previous 5000 years. Some reports of ash in China and in Rome.

Anyone care to guess what makes these prints? Hint: notice how deep they sink in. Update ...no takers ...nada...zip..crickets ... zzz, ...so anyway the answer is Black bear
1579728702253.png

Last edited:
Back