SHOW us YOUR PIX here .... Odd, WeiRd ,UnUSuAl or EyE CaTchIng things from your rides

I appreciate a good riding-weather day in December and try not to waste it. There is however a downside to carrying 3 batteries and the kitchen sink on an Ebike. I cannot lift it over trouble spots.
1575935127584.png

The good news is that it is less than a week now to the solstice. Yay.
Steve …
Cheer up!

You people way up north have already (past tense!) had your earliest sunset of the year.

2019-12-17-solstice-a.jpg

Well, you did ask us to share the 'odd, unusual and weird' on this thread.

Now, dare I write out the mathematical explanation? Perhaps, not; it would probably exceed the per-post character limit and, besides, I don't know how to type upside-down Greek characters.

The explanation relates to Earth's elliptical, not circular, orbit. These days, our boffins 'just' write a program to compute these times. In the past, astronomers worked the other way round, figuring out the planets' orbital eccentricities (pun intended) from the the data!
… David

Last edited by a moderator:
Steve …
Cheer up! For you the sun has already (past tense!) set at its earliest for this year… and, for me, it has already risen at its earliest.

Well, you did ask us to share the 'odd, usual, weird and eyecathing' on this thread.

Now, dare I write out the mathematical explanation? Perhaps, not; it would probably exceed the per-post character limit and, besides, I don't know how to type upside-down Greek characters.
… David
David, your concepts are way above my paygrade my friend! But only 5 days until I believe the amount of daylight is increasing here. YAYAYAY. I just looked it up and your solstice is on the 22nd while ours is on the 21st? I do at least grasp the concept that you are on the opposite point on the globe. (-:

Last edited:
hmmm... but I see according to that chart that the total daylight will lengthen by 1 sec on the 22nd here . Why does this chart seem to contradict itself? And the sunrise is still taking longer?

Why does this chart seem to contradict itself? And the sunrise is still taking longer?
Above my pay scale, too!

The really talented people are the 'science communicators' who can bridge the gap between preposterously complex mathematics and my over-simplistic claim (correct nonetheless!) that it's all about Earth's 'steady' spinning on its axis versus Earth's elliptical orbit around the sun – both measured in degrees which don't have the same relationship for each day of the year. (Over to you, Brian Cox and Neil deGrasse Tyson!)

Let's ask Google: 'Why doesn't the earliest sunset occur on the shortest day?'
Or, if one lives in Australia: 'Why doesn't the earliest sunrise occur on the longest day?'

I just looked it up and your solstice is on the 22nd while ours is on the 21s. (-:
The solstice is a position in the Earth's orbit around the sun and, therefore, can be given a precise date and time — 2019-12-22 04:19 UTC.

Whether this weekend's solstice is…
  • winter or summer depends on north versus south (fifty-fifty chance);
  • Saturday or Sunday depends on west versus east (but not fifty-fifty chance).

Acquire the proper rain gear and get out there my intrepid Ebiker comrades! You may find that you have the whole place to yourself.

Attachments

• 1576627635560.png
    1576627635560.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 395
Last edited:
Back