SHOW us YOUR PIX here .... Odd, WeiRd ,UnUSuAl or EyE CaTchIng things from your rides

Portland Tilikum Crossing this is a cool bridge only for mass transit and pedestrians. yesterday when we crossed 1600 bikes had crossed that day. the bridge is right at the tram station and a big bike parking lot
IMG_1727.jpeg

this is a bit of crazy portlanders do on a bike. this is the Ladd circle 500. if you go around it 500 times its 100 miles. we did two laps because I could not get over. I go this way 5 days a week. I guess it's a team thing where you have to change team members like 10 times or if solo change bikes. here is the overhead view.
ladd-circle.jpg

Often ride by the Cape Rey Carlsbad Resort on the Coast Highway and occasionally do happy hour on the patio there. Excellent ahi poke.

Found these in the lobby...
20230324_185533.jpg

20230414_201503.jpg
20230414_201423.jpg

None are electric, but hey, they're still bikes. The ice cream bike has a derailleur and looks fully functional.

The view from the patio overlooks the south end of the Carlsbad State Beach campground.

20230324_172839.jpg

Last edited:
Often ride by the Cap Rey Carlsbad Resort on the Coast Highway and occasionally do happy hour on the patio there. Excellent ahi poke.

Found these in the lobby...
View attachment 151765
View attachment 151763View attachment 151764
None are electric, but hey, they're still bikes. The ice cream bike has a derailleur and looks fully functional.

The view from the patio overlooks the south end of the Carlsbad State Beach campground.

View attachment 151766
Lovin’ the ice cream bike. Sure wish they would bring them back here.

1681618709169.png

When it comes to natural events, "super" is usually bad news — supervolcano (like Yellowstone), superspreader, superdrought (like western US now), super storm (like Sandy), supercell thunderstorm. But thanks to our super-wet winter in normally semi-arid San Diego County, we're having the good kind for a change: A "superbloom" event. And with it, a super-green event.

20230415_135324.jpg
20230415_135727.jpg

The colors are going nuts!

20230414_105213.jpg

Ice plant is a very common ground cover around here. At the top of this abandoned Coast Highway segment, it's awash in pink blooms (not shown).

20230414_105112.jpg

But the really eye-catching color was at the bottom, where the leaves themselves are turning a bright red-orange. Succulents generally do this under stress. Not sure what the stressor here is, but this winter's unseasonably cool temperatures come to mind.

Last edited:
I’ve got you all beat as we’re still waiting for the snow to completely melt here though it did reach a high of +14C on today’s ride. We’re also so far behind anything that looks remotely like @Jeremy McCreary's images . Not even a single patch of green on the lawns yet. :(

View attachment 151825
You know, before I post, I often stop and ask myself, "Should I really torture those Nanook of the North types with this photo?" Then I think, "You bet!"

True but at least here it rains water not bullets ...( just sayin )
And speaking of water, that’s a resource that is short in supply in CA. Lake Mead is at a historic low level and that might spell trouble for many who rely on it for their lively hood. With more wanting to retire to the Golden State, it’s only going to get worse.

And speaking of water, that’s a resource that is short in supply in CA. Lake Mead is at a historic low level and that might spell trouble for many who rely on it for their lively hood. With more wanting to retire to the Golden State, it’s only going to get worse.
There is an Ocean full of water to the West. All they have to do is figure out how to make it useable. I mean if they can go to Mars surely they can accomplish this?

There is an Ocean full of water to the West. All they have to do is figure out how to make it useable. I mean if they can go to Mars surely they can accomplish this?
Mission accomplished: Behold the Carlsbad Desalination Plant, the largest in the nation. Ride by it often.

Of course, that just kicks the can back to energy supply. If that fails, I plan to eat lots of imported tomatoes and oranges. Lots of water there. Oh wait, getting it here will take energy, too.

Mission accomplished: Behold the Carlsbad Desalination Plant, the largest in the nation. Ride by it often.
That’s awesome. Hopefully other coastal districts will follow the lead of SD County and provide more potable water to its citizens. 🤞One can’t say the same for other inland states that rely solely upon Lake Mead and the Colorado tributary as their only source of fresh water.

That’s awesome. Hopefully other coastal districts will follow the lead of SD County and provide more potable water to its citizens. 🤞One can’t say the same for other inland states that rely solely upon Lake Mead and the Colorado tributary as their only source of fresh water.
Agree. Low Colorado River flows year after year are hugely problematic on soooooo many levels. The entire US economy is one of them.

If the western US drought continues much longer, we'll be facing rationing at levels that will end up pissing everybody off — states, cities, farmers and industrialists, small business owners, corporate shareholders, and individuals all along the Colorado and far beyond. Governments at every level will get the blame while flagrant overusers hide behind the smokescreen.

In the bitterly divided US, the odds of a meaningful mitigation policy based on science, fairness, and cooperation among stakeholders seem nil. Enforcement against the biggest abusers will be tied up in courts for years we don't have. Meanwhile, expect defiant noncompliance from anyone who thinks she can get away with it.

Sorry if I sound overly optimistic. Per Will Durant, the famous world historian, civilization exists only with geologic consent subject to change without notice. I'd update that to planetary consent, with seismic, volcanic, climatic, and hydrologic permits all required at once.

Q: Is the western drought affecting BC in any way? Based on your posts, not too worried about Alberta. Yet.

Back