SHOW us YOUR PIX here .... Odd, WeiRd ,UnUSuAl or EyE CaTchIng things from your rides

...You look like characters from the original Star Wars. I love it. Gotta ride no matter what.

Need to photoshop a Giant Fathom in there.

1641493486303.png

Current weather forecast - yes "gotta ride... but I think I will wait until next week (looks weird, but normal for this area):

Fahrenheit:

View attachment 111152

Celsius:

View attachment 111153
But next weeks weather creates the question: which tires for slush?
Johnny Watts, Maxxis Forekasters or Ice Spiker Pros.
ISP will be the choice regardless, as they will be needed when everything starts freezing up again by the end of next week.

One thing is for sure - the riding will be on my Fathom - not my new Intrigue.
I am not subjecting all that shiny new hardware to that mess.... at least not yet!

Riding on ice is scary. I went down on ice once. I saw video yesterday of multiple car crashes from DC to New Jersey. One was a car going down a hill and it could not steer and it could not stop until it smashed into a tree. Now, if you really want traction this is how the Canadian's do it. Just don't get runover by your bike.

Current weather forecast - yes "gotta ride... but I think I will wait until next week (looks weird, but normal for this area):

Fahrenheit:

View attachment 111152

Celsius:

View attachment 111153
You're going from -20 on Saturday to +14 on Monday! WOW!
I live in Parksville, on Vancouver Island, and we've had almost two week of snow and I'm sick of it.
I hope we also get a temperature boost, so I can finally go for a bike ride.

Side note: the area I live in (Coombs) has so many people that are from Alberta that it's called 'Little Alberta'.

I live in Parksville, on Vancouver Island, and we've had almost two week of snow and I'm sick of it.

Side note: the area I live in (Coombs) has so many people that are from Alberta that it's called 'Little Alberta'.
I've never been to Coombs, but I've managed projects all over the island over the last 7 years.
Until COVID - we often went to site for design work. Now - we're stapled to our desks - so retirement #4 starts on the 21st :) .

Whenever mid island, I'd always try to manage my travel where I had to stop in Courtenay, stay at the "Old House hotel, and go to the Flying Canoe Pub - superb wood-fired pizza and an excellent beverage choices.
They always seemed to have a full complement of my favorite brewery - Phillips.

You could make that a day trip - just need to take your charger and top up the battery while hydrating.
Of course I'm assuming there's a safe bike route to Courtenay.

Unlike Calgary and @RandallS , it would be fortuitous if it we were to even hit the freezing mark here next week. I’m fine with that as it sure beats what we’ve had to endure over the past two weeks.

Several times each year during trips out to the island, it was tradition that we would stop by the Coombs Old Country Market for fresh pies and marvel at the roof top goats.

coombs-old-country-market-vancouver-island-goats-7.jpg

I live1.5 km from Goats on the Roof. It's unbelievably busy in the summer months.
I can’t imagine what it must be like during peak tourist season there, but what a place to call home and a kayaker’s paradise. We have friends (retired farmers) who relocated to Parksville a number years ago and also relatives in Sidney and Victoria. Hope to return back there soon as we have a ton of fond memories.

Here are a few from a ride today.
I spotted a fat peregrine falcon hunting. Hundreds of pigeons live in the grain elevators. That is why this falcon is almost too fat to fly!
I also saw What Not to Plant in your front yard.
1641597632491.jpeg
1641597715969.jpeg

Attachments

• fatfalcon2 (2).JPG
    fatfalcon2 (2).JPG
    242.7 KB · Views: 100
  • fatfalcon3 (2).JPG
    fatfalcon3 (2).JPG
    201.5 KB · Views: 105
  • Jan7Ride1.JPG
    Jan7Ride1.JPG
    153.2 KB · Views: 98
  • Jan7Ride2.JPG
    Jan7Ride2.JPG
    330.9 KB · Views: 106
  • WhatNotToPlant3 (2).JPG
    WhatNotToPlant3 (2).JPG
    287.5 KB · Views: 101
Last edited:
Unlike Calgary and @RandallS , it would be fortuitous if it we were to even hit the freezing mark here next week. I’m fine with that as it sure beats what we’ve had to endure over the past two weeks.

Several times each year during trips out to the island, it was tradition that we would stop by the Coombs Old Country Market for fresh pies and marvel at the roof top goats.

View attachment 111191

How do the goats get on the roof? Last time I checked they can’t fly.

Back