Show us pictures of where you ride your ebikes!

Went for a 24km ride along the river this morning.

A couple of shots of the Westfield cable ferries:
View attachment 158640
View attachment 158641

The Westfield beach:
View attachment 158642

Day Lilies along the river:
View attachment 158643

View from Brandy Point:
View attachment 158644
Fine shots of the St John River and the bike looks right at home. Judging by your posts you seem to thoroughly enjoy riding your Volt Bravo. Our neighbors have the exact same model only in white and just returned home after a trip to Salmon Arm, BC where they rode the Greenways.

If you zoom way in, you can see what’s left of the SS Palo Alto. The last few winters really jacked it up. The pier is now gone and you can barely see the ship now.

IMG_3056.jpeg

Another couple of shortish rides this weekend (10km and 25km).

Looks like this local sports field is getting new Astroturf.
It's just not my bag...

Getting ready for rain tomorrow...

Uh oh... on my way home today my cranks would not turn! I was at the very south end of 120th St/Scott Rd. I immediately came to a stop to take a look.
And then I see this...

Hmmm... That ain't good! The lower rear motor mount bolt is almost out, and that's what my crank hit.
I put the bike up on the makeshift bike stand and pulled out my tools. The bolt needs a 4mm hex key, OK no problem, but... Rats! I'm missing the nut for the other side. Ugh...

Welp... the plan WAS to head down a steep path from that location and take the trail through Watershed Park. This incident changed my mind and I stayed on the road instead.

Stopped at the local Pickle ball court for an inspection, and to finish my water. The bolt shifts location a bit but stayed in place...

My suspicion is that my recent dropper post installation requires dropping the motor, and that the tech forgot to torque the bolts after.
Off to the LBS ASAP!

Another couple of shortish rides this weekend (10km and 25km).

Uh oh... on my way home today my cranks would not turn! I was at the very south end of 120th St/Scott Rd. I immediately came to a stop to take a look.
And then I see this...

Hmmm... That ain't good! The lower rear motor mount bolt is almost out, and that's what my crank hit.
I put the bike up on the makeshift bike stand and pulled out my tools. The bolt needs a 4mm hex key, OK no problem, but... Rats! I'm missing the nut for the other side. Ugh...

Welp... the plan WAS to head down a steep path from that location and take the trail through Watershed Park. This incident changed my mind and I stayed on the road instead.

Stopped at the local Pickle ball court for an inspection, and to finish my water. The bolt shifts location a bit but stayed in place...

My suspicion is that my recent dropper post installation requires dropping the motor, and that the tech forgot to torque the bolts after.
Off to the LBS ASAP!
You're in good company Dave as my better half tells me that I usually have one or two bolts loose. Maybe that's what makes me so cranky! 😅
Good to know that you made it home safe. Celebratory brewski?

Yesterday, an unusual sight to the east in coastal San Diego County — a smallish but well-developed thunderhead with several tall cumulus towers growing nearby.

20230725_140730.jpg
20230725_140711.jpg

The air inland must have been unusually unstable, as large convection cells like these generally have a hard time getting off the ground here. Totally different story when we lived in Denver, where huge thunderheads were a common sight most summer afternoons and evenings, and violent thunderstorms a common occurrence.

20230725_141736.jpg

Meanwhile to the west, a thin marine layer carrying low stratus clouds (right) was coming ashore. Instead of ramping up in the afternoon sun, the cloud deck was breaking up and burning off less than a mile inland.

Since these totally incompatible cloud systems — tall unstable cumulus and cumulonimbus to the east, low stable marine layer stratus to the west — can't occupy the same air column, the cloudless leading edge of the maine layer couldn't have penetrated too far inland that day.

20230725_191246.jpg
20230725_191321.jpg

Later, came across this beautifully restored VW bug.

Recently returned from a trip on our tugboat “Unsalted” to the North Channel of Lake Huron. Took along my folding GoCycle, which worked out quite well. The last photo shows it stowed in its case on the rear deck.

IMG_2733.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_2742.jpeg
    IMG_2742.jpeg
    455.7 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_2699.jpeg
    IMG_2699.jpeg
    502 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_2726.jpeg
    IMG_2726.jpeg
    749.8 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG_2718.jpeg
    IMG_2718.jpeg
    558.6 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG_2727.jpeg
    IMG_2727.jpeg
    671.2 KB · Views: 91
Last edited:
Here's video footage of a recent two-day trip that took my better half and I along scenic alpine roads to pristine waters in beautiful Kananaskis Country, AB.

What a beautiful, serene experience! Your gorgeous kayak brought back fond memories of my ocean kayaking days on the central California coast and Lake Tahoe. Verboten now for medical reasons, but would love to take it up again now that we're on the SoCal coast.

Went for a spin around Point Roberts which is a border anomaly with British Columbia. Bonus was finding the golf course closed ( bonus for me not for them ) which gave access to miles of smooth asphalt trails meandering through the forest without worrying about getting whacked by someone's drive. So much fun I did 36 holes.........

Screen Shot 2023-07-21 at 5.42.13 PM.png

Went for a spin around Point Roberts which is a border anomaly with British Columbia. Bonus was finding the golf course closed ( bonus for me not for them ) which gave access to miles of smooth asphalt trails meandering through the forest without worrying about getting whacked by someone's drive. So much fun I did 36 holes.........

View attachment 159177
Beauty! I haven't biked that yet.

View attachment 159177
Coastal SoCal is crawling with spectacular golf courses — 4 within a few miles of my house alone. Obscene waste of water and fossil fuel to maintain them in my book — especially in a semi-arid region with a tenuous long-term water supply.

HOWEVER, they sure would be nice places to ride. Sorely tempted to spring for that Campagnolo cloaking device/shield.

What a beautiful, serene experience! Your gorgeous kayak brought back fond memories of my ocean kayaking days on the central California coast and Lake Tahoe. Verboten now for medical reasons, but would love to take it up again now that we're on the SoCal coast.
We haven’t paddled the briny going on five years now so our outings have been limited strictly to local waters but it’s no where near as exhilarating as a seaside destination. We’re hopeful that we too can, once again, dip out paddles in ocean waters when our hopes and dream of some day moving out to the west coast come to fruition. Until then, I’ll jealously envisage your Cali lifestyle through your images and text.

Here's video footage of a recent two-day trip that took my better half and I along scenic alpine roads to pristine waters in beautiful Kananaskis Country, AB.

Stunning footage on both the bikes and the kayaks, those shoulders were so rough but the views were just out of this world!👌

Stunning footage on both the bikes and the kayaks, those shoulders were so rough but the views were just out of this world!👌
The rough shoulders can be a bit challenging on this stretch of Hwy 40 and cyclists are often forced to ride on the side open to vehicular traffic as we obviously were. Riding with a Varia/mirrors installed is a must as some motorists show little respect for sharing the road with bikes. It’s especially bad during the busy summer months and the optimal time to cycle is before mid June before the north/south gates re-open to cars after the winter season. You can then ride up and down the Pass during the narrow car-free window but at this altitude one must be prepared to turn back due to potential snow pack.

Noticed a nice sunset brewing on last evening's dog walk, so jumped in the car to catch it from the nearest good vantage with a chance of finding parking — North Ponto Beach. Stop here often to commune with the Pacific on coast rides north.

20230731_120938.jpg

The sunset didn't disappoint, and neither did the water. With little wind chop, a near-glassy surface, and stately swell coming in from 2 slightly different directions, the ocean seemed almost serene.

20230730_195048.jpg

But the view north toward the headland at Terramar told a very different story. We happened to arrive right at high tide — an unusually high spring tide of 7 ft — and the largest wave sets were rolling in on top of it to smash directly into the Terramar sea cliffs, some 35-45 ft high. You do the math.

Communing with the ocean with all your senses always pays, regardless of the weather. Never know exactly what you'll experience, but it's always interesting. As Spanish philosopher Jose Ortega y Gasset put it,

To be surprised, to wonder, is to begin to understand.... Everything in the world is strange and marvelous to well-open eyes.

Last edited:
Back