Shadow with Pedal Assist AND Throttle

Vern

I am hearing conflicting responses about the ability to add a throttle to the Shadow. I have reached out to Motiv on their Facebook site and they said that it can't be done. They told me that they could trade out the pedal assist for a throttle off of one of their Sparks, but I couldn't have both. I really like the Shadow, but when I test rode it I got stuck at a light in a high gear twice. It takes a couple of spins of the pedal to get the pedal assist to activate and a twist throttle would be a great option.

Hmm... Well, thanks for calling this out Vern. I shouldn't speak for the manufacturers but I thought I had heard about both the cruisers and the Shadow having the ability to upgrade for both pedal assist and twist throttle. I know these guys are constantly working on their models, seeking feedback and doing everything they can to help customers. I'll ask them to sound off here... they may not want to commit one way or another as I'd imagine these custom requests take a bit of work and may fragment their inventory.

Court is exactly right, we are constantly trying to make the perfect platform bike for every rider and this throttle question keeps coming up. We have engineered our Shadow controller to be able to "plug and play" a throttle into its system, that is probably why Vern has been hearing two different answers. Right now we have a few Shadows retro-fitted with a throttle and the pedal assist system and they work perfectly in-sync with each other, so from this point on... if a customer wants a throttle installed on their Shadow, we will have no problem installing it for them.

Hey Motiv,
Thanks for the response, however, you just made my decision even harder. The Shadow is a great bike.

If you are able to share
1) about how much would it cost to upgrade the Shadow?? Should I just talk to my dealer.
2) What is the battery warranty?

I swing back and forth between the Shadow and the new Dash. I like that the looks and feel of the Shadow, but a lack of a twist throttle bothered me. I am looking to buy in March after I have had a chance to try both bikes. I really like that Motiv is from the OC !!
Thanks again.

harder... that's no good.

If you are talking about the throttle, it's not an upgrade it's just an install and it will be the same price. The battery will come with the same 2 year warranty.

We have to say our bike is the best bike in the WORLD!! but obliviously it comes down to the end user. If I was you I would compare warranties and maybe double check the battery capacities (the Ah) we use a 48v 10Ah battery.

Hope this helps, we want to make it easy for you to find the best bike and appreciate your feedback!

harder... that's no good.

If you are talking about the throttle, it's not an upgrade it's just an install and it will be the same price. The battery will come with the same 2 year warranty.

We have to say our bike is the best bike in the WORLD!! but obliviously it comes down to the end user. If I was you I would compare warranties and maybe double check the battery capacities (the Ah) we use a 48v 10Ah battery.

Hope this helps, we want to make it easy for you to find the best bike and appreciate your feedback!

You're tempting me! Court gave the Shadow model a thumbs up in his review, and now you are saying that we can get a throttle and pedal assist for the same price: 2,250. Unfortunately, there isn't a Motiv dealer in Phoenix...No test drive available.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe the review was done with a 48Volt battery. The 2,250 price would be with the 36volt battery and according to the Motiv website, top speed on that configuration is 20mph. When I priced the Shadow with 48volt battery and shipping, total price was 2850, from Motiv. One dealer quoted me 3000.00 shipped. I think it is a sweet bike, but I wanted the ability to go more then 20mph in pedal assist, hence the 48volt battery option. Looking at that price/configuration, brings me back to Neo bikes, and even the Stromer ST1.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe the review was done with a 48Volt battery. The 2,250 price would be with the 36volt battery and according to the Motiv website, top speed on that configuration is 20mph. When I priced the Shadow with 48volt battery and shipping, total price was 2850, from Motiv. One dealer quoted me 3000.00 shipped. I think it is a sweet bike, but I wanted the ability to go more then 20mph in pedal assist, hence the 48volt battery option. Looking at that price/configuration, brings me back to Neo bikes, and even the Stromer ST1.
You are correct.

Dave,
I don't think that you are correct about the top speed of the 36 volt Shadow. I believe that the specs listed on their website are for the Sleek and Spark. Perhaps someone from Motiv or Court can comment. I am not totally sure. I have test ridden a few Shadows and I think one of them was a 36 volt which went at least 25 mph.

I have been quoted a far better price for the Shadow, but I live right by them and don't have to worry about shipping.

Hey Dave, I'll buy you the Shadow, you buy me the Neo Carbon, and we'll meet in the middle of the country and swap.

Vern,
You are probably correct. The Motiv website does not break down specs for each model, just battery size/speed specs. Great idea on the swap, if only it were that easy! It would be fun though.

That's actually a neat idea Vern! When I was in college I used to beta test video games and I met this guy in the Team Xbox forums who won tickets to the launch party for the Xbox 360 which was being held in the Mojave desert.

We made friends and he offered me his extra ticket even though we had never met in person. I flew out to LA to meet him for the first time and we had a blast at the premiere, even got featured in an episode of G4 TV.

It was so much fun! I'm still friends with him even though we live far apart and I feel like it was such a cool way to meet... even though they kind of made fun of us in the episode, everything worked out great :p

Trying to define Court...
"Testing out new high-tech fun stuff since 1980's....."

Wonderful video, Court. :)

That's awesome to hear Motiv, thanks for the quote on the motor speed with both battery versions. The Shadow is a neat bike and I love that it has the sort of "speed pedelec" setup. Going 25mph in pedal assist is pretty sweet :D

The Motiv Shadow electric bike will reach up to 25 miles per hour in pedal assist with both 36 and 48 volt battery options.

ps. thanks James and Ravi! Glad you enjoyed the video, I certainly had fun digging it up again and sharing :p

I ordered the Motiv Shadow. Cameron will email pics as it is constructed. It will arrive and be assembled at my local "Bikers Edge" bike shop here in Peoria AZ. The bike will come with a throttle and pedal assist. The battery will be 36V extended range. I am a happy camper. Court... Thanks for your helpful videos!!

Calvin, Very nice, I am happy for you. I think the Shadow is a super bike, was one of my top choices. Cameron is a great guy, and I am sure he will do a great job on the bike. What color combo did you get?

Yeah, please post pictures and review. I also think Shadow is a great choice. Here is why:
1) Price is right - you recoup your investment faster
2) Turnkey - when people buy a bike they replace the bike seat - Shadow already comes with comfortable seat, it has some suspension in the front, it has somtething on the stem, great pedals already
3) Easily serviced - especially for those who don't have an ebike dealer nearby. Usually issues will be with the motor: Shadow will send you the whole wheel with the motor for replacement (I think) .
4) Pedal&Throttle - one of the fusses about cadence sensors is peppiness from standstill or on a hill ... in those rare situations throttle aides to get you going quick
5) Power - 500 watt motor and 47v battery - it doesn't get much better than that
6) Weight - under 50 lbs is not in the heavy category of ebikes
7) Pimp It Out - Add your own fenders / racks / lights to personalize it - or keep it light
8) Service - The people at Motiv are really easy to talk to. I have a feeling/hope the Customer Service will be very reasonable

The reasons above make me still keep the Shadow on the same list as the higher priced contenders.

The motor might be a bit noisier and perhaps it's not as flashy as purpose built frame bikes but it also seems to retain it's own charm that an American Roadster has versus BMW Motorcycle

You're tempting me! Court gave the Shadow model a thumbs up in his review, and now you are saying that we can get a throttle and pedal assist for the same price: 2,250. Unfortunately, there isn't a Motiv dealer in Phoenix...No test drive available.
Calvin, Very nice, I am happy for you. I think the Shadow is a super bike, was one of my top choices. Cameron is a great guy, and I am sure he will do a great job on the bike. What color combo did you get?
It comes in one color: flat black, color choices are limited to minor accents.

Back