Electric Bike Throttle and Pedal Assist not working

agarg_1

Region
Canada
Hello All, I have a folding Columbus Slane 48Volt Electric Bike. The bike had a damaged SW900 display with some severed cables so I ordered a replacement SW900 display and installed successfully. I have checked the battery and voltage is showing 54 Volts (48Volt Battery) . I have checked the contacts and they look clean and no damage. The pedal assist mechanism seems to be installed properly and the led lights up when you turn the pedals (magnet is positioned few millimeters from the PAS sensor).. But motor doesn't kick in . The throttle only works intermittently. When I turn the display on and press the thumb throttle it will start the motor for about 5 seconds and then stop. Then I cant get it going again. If I turn off the display and turn it on again and then try throttle its a 50/50 chance it will activate the motor and spin the rear wheel for approx 5 seconds..then dies again. I have exposed the controller with all the cables attached to it. I disconnected the left and right brake cutoff sensors..no changes in the pedal assist or throttle..still not working. The overall condition of the bike is good and I don't see any physical broken connections in the control box. I have a e-bike diagnostic tool but it looks confusing and not sure how to use. I also have a multimeter that I can use. I need some ideas on what other steps I can take? Do I need a need a new throttle? New pedal assist sensor and parts? Thank you in advance for any suggestions

Attachments

• IMG_0428.JPG
    IMG_0428.JPG
    572.8 KB · Views: 279
  • IMG_0427.JPG
    IMG_0427.JPG
    713.5 KB · Views: 274
  • IMG_0429.JPG
    IMG_0429.JPG
    433.8 KB · Views: 275
Hello All, I have a folding Columbus Slane 48Volt Electric Bike. The bike had a damaged SW900 display with some severed cables so I ordered a replacement SW900 display and installed successfully. I have checked the battery and voltage is showing 54 Volts (48Volt Battery) . I have checked the contacts and they look clean and no damage. The pedal assist mechanism seems to be installed properly and the led lights up when you turn the pedals (magnet is positioned few millimeters from the PAS sensor).. But motor doesn't kick in . The throttle only works intermittently. When I turn the display on and press the thumb throttle it will start the motor for about 5 seconds and then stop. Then I cant get it going again. If I turn off the display and turn it on again and then try throttle its a 50/50 chance it will activate the motor and spin the rear wheel for approx 5 seconds..then dies again. I have exposed the controller with all the cables attached to it. I disconnected the left and right brake cutoff sensors..no changes in the pedal assist or throttle..still not working. The overall condition of the bike is good and I don't see any physical broken connections in the control box. I have a e-bike diagnostic tool but it looks confusing and not sure how to use. I also have a multimeter that I can use. I need some ideas on what other steps I can take? Do I need a need a new throttle? New pedal assist sensor and parts? Thank you in advance for any suggestions
Did you try the dealer or distributor you purchased from?

No distributor or dealer .. I am helping a friend he had bought it second hand .. I tried to get some contact info from manufacturer but they have no info online .

Did you acquire it damaged? Did it work before and then you damaged the display?
I am assuming the controller and associated wiring is OK? There are programmable settings for that display.

Last edited:
Did you acquire it damaged? Did it work before and then you damaged the display?
I am assuming the controller and associated wiring is OK? There are programmable settings for that display.
Here is the old display..it powers on and powers on the headlight..the new one doesn't. There is a turquoise/blue wire that is severed. The new one is also SW900 ( ordered from Amazon) but doesn't have the usb charging port and doesn't turn on the headlight. When I reconnect the old SW900 the display shows an error of 010. The controller and associated wiring looks good. I have made setting choices on the new SW900 based on watching a few videos. The bike had been sitting around for a year and was working previously. I am wondering if i should just solder the severed blue wire and try to work with the original display..the other wires look to be intact

Attachments

• IMG_0431.JPG
    IMG_0431.JPG
    391.9 KB · Views: 187
  • IMG_0430.JPG
    IMG_0430.JPG
    577.9 KB · Views: 197
error 10 on many eBikes is a communication error. Obviously, there's a com problem. I'm with @Tom@WashDC.
Repair the old display.

Now, the cut and arcing display wires COULD create a short or issue with the controller. I'd not be surprised if the repair needed both. Display and controller

SW900 are a tricky deal. I've heard they come in different firmware versions. I'm not sure you can just buy one, unless you get it from the bike seller. and expect it to work.
Just repair the cut display cable. Match the colors.

Back