Bafang Motor replacement

I have built 9 bikes with BBSHDs, and I have a few with Bafang hub motors (some with both!). They are both strong and reliable... but you couldn't pay me to touch a CAN motor that I can't get into and change all the settings on. Thats another thing... Bafang sucks at doing factory settings to produce a smooth-running, smooth-starting motor that doesn't run away from you if you are pedaling. A CAN motor means you take what they give you and cannot smooth over the rough edges.
Good point, there is a tool you can purchase to be able to reprogram but it requires Bafang account. I can actually buy it from Bafang directly but not sure what documentation will be included or I can get my hands on. If I do get it and documentation, I will post on this forum. To be fair, the settings on the motor that came with by Bikes Direct Motobecane eMulekick EXPRESS are quite good with very smooth startup and transition. But when building a new bike I see how that would be an issue if you could not easily finetune it.

To get that magic username and password to be able to make the BESST tool useful, you have to be a Bafang dealership with a professional relationship with them. Its not open to end users. You can buy the thing but won't be able to use it beyond a couple of the simplest settings.

Kind of an old story since CAN motors have been out for awhile and people have been picking at this since the outset. If Bafang's policy has changed that would be a big deal.

Last edited:
Look at starting on page 23

And you can stop reading at page 25.

Screenshot_20240320_150821_Drive.jpg

I am aware and I did see posts on some of the AliExpress listing of people getting the account setup. Not sure how at this point.

You can be sure: You have to be a dealer.

The closest thing to end user availability came from Luna for a short time. You can read how that ended by looking at their product page on the now discontinued product. Scroll down and read the product description.

Last edited:
I finally got the other display unit from AliExpress and the other motor is experiencing exact same issue. The assist will not turn on at all but the speed shows fine on the display, levels change and shows battery charge fine with no errors at all. When I turn on the walk assist mode, the motor turns on and pushes the bike fine. Very strange as it's exactly the same as the other motor that I have at Bafang now waiting for the torque sensor. Can't believe it's two motors with the exact same issue :mad:

Back