Bafang Motor replacement

I have built 9 bikes with BBSHDs, and I have a few with Bafang hub motors (some with both!). They are both strong and reliable... but you couldn't pay me to touch a CAN motor that I can't get into and change all the settings on. Thats another thing... Bafang sucks at doing factory settings to produce a smooth-running, smooth-starting motor that doesn't run away from you if you are pedaling. A CAN motor means you take what they give you and cannot smooth over the rough edges.
Good point, there is a tool you can purchase to be able to reprogram but it requires Bafang account. I can actually buy it from Bafang directly but not sure what documentation will be included or I can get my hands on. If I do get it and documentation, I will post on this forum. To be fair, the settings on the motor that came with by Bikes Direct Motobecane eMulekick EXPRESS are quite good with very smooth startup and transition. But when building a new bike I see how that would be an issue if you could not easily finetune it.

To get that magic username and password to be able to make the BESST tool useful, you have to be a Bafang dealership with a professional relationship with them. Its not open to end users. You can buy the thing but won't be able to use it beyond a couple of the simplest settings.

Kind of an old story since CAN motors have been out for awhile and people have been picking at this since the outset. If Bafang's policy has changed that would be a big deal.

Last edited:
Look at starting on page 23

And you can stop reading at page 25.

Screenshot_20240320_150821_Drive.jpg

I am aware and I did see posts on some of the AliExpress listing of people getting the account setup. Not sure how at this point.

You can be sure: You have to be a dealer.

The closest thing to end user availability came from Luna for a short time. You can read how that ended by looking at their product page on the now discontinued product. Scroll down and read the product description.

Last edited:
I finally got the other display unit from AliExpress and the other motor is experiencing exact same issue. The assist will not turn on at all but the speed shows fine on the display, levels change and shows battery charge fine with no errors at all. When I turn on the walk assist mode, the motor turns on and pushes the bike fine. Very strange as it's exactly the same as the other motor that I have at Bafang now waiting for the torque sensor. Can't believe it's two motors with the exact same issue :mad:

To get that magic username and password to be able to make the BESST tool useful, you have to be a Bafang dealership with a professional relationship with them. Its not open to end users. You can buy the thing but won't be able to use it beyond a couple of the simplest settings.

Kind of an old story since CAN motors have been out for awhile and people have been picking at this since the outset. If Bafang's policy has changed that would be a big deal.
Hi all, this thread is a few months old but I've just signed myself up and got a BESST account.

For years I was under the same impression that you had to be a bafang dealer (or get an invite) to get access to this software. It even says as much on the website itself!

But I downloaded the software and used the sign-up form in the app, and then 1 minute later an email arrived saying

Dear [MY NAME] Dealer:

Your Account: [Redacted]
Your Initial Password: [Redacted]

You have successfully obtained the permissions of BESST.
BESST is a platform used for sales and services at E-bike by BAFANG.

etc etc etc....

It did warn during sign-up that my account submission would be manual verified but given the speed I gained access it appears not... it was automatically granted.

Anyhow. It was that simple. For the Company I just put my name.

Thought I'd share as I know others have wanted to use this app.

I don't actually have the BESST tool yet, but now that I have an account I have ordered it and it should arrive in the next week or so.

Hi all, this thread is a few months old but I've just signed myself up and got a BESST account.

For years I was under the same impression that you had to be a bafang dealer (or get an invite) to get access to this software. It even says as much on the website itself!

But I downloaded the software and used the sign-up form in the app, and then 1 minute later an email arrived saying

Dear [MY NAME] Dealer:

Your Account: [Redacted]
Your Initial Password: [Redacted]

You have successfully obtained the permissions of BESST.
BESST is a platform used for sales and services at E-bike by BAFANG.

etc etc etc....

It did warn during sign-up that my account submission would be manual verified but given the speed I gained access it appears not... it was automatically granted.

Anyhow. It was that simple. For the Company I just put my name.

Thought I'd share as I know others have wanted to use this app.

I don't actually have the BESST tool yet, but now that I have an account I have ordered it and it should arrive in the next week or so.
Thanks for posting this. I will definitely take a look.

Quick update on my situation. The torque sensor was delayed in shipment and I ended up getting a significant disconnect on a brand new M800 motor from Bafang. Got both motors back and still planning to get the torque sensor fixed on the other motor to have to as a backup.

What is interesting is that I'm getting much more distance out of the same old battery which maybe to do with the new motor having new software version with better optimization, not sure. The second thing I did was change the settings from 5 assist levels to 9. For some reason I did not realize I was able to adjust it. I used to use between 0 and 1 for most of the 20 and 40 miles rides, and sometimes going higher when string head wind or quite steep hill. With the 9 levels it gives me more flexibility to assist in smaller percentages which is helping to maximize the motor use and battery drain.

I am building a new manual super light gravel/bike packing bike and not sure I really want to or need to keep both. Will see. Having the pedal assist is fun but my leg muscles are recovering well and not really needing assist.

Yes anyone can get access, but its not complete access unless you are a dealer. Or at least thats how its been since it was released. We'll see what happens to you.

Well I'm still waiting for my besst tool to be dispatched by greenbikekit! I thought I'd be updating you with info soon but it might take a while longer.

Yes anyone can get access, but its not complete access unless you are a dealer. Or at least thats how its been since it was released. We'll see what happens to you.

Yeah I've downloaded it before to have a look, but to be honest I never needed it to use it - I had already programmed my settings with the config tool and was happy with them. But recently I have changed the gears for the new quiet gears and now needed to recalibrate the motor, and to the best of my knowledge this function is only available after logging in to the besst software.

In the meantime I have had a reply from Frey! They have offered to help me in setting up a besst account, which I have already gained but in any case it sounds promising. I'm guessing the rules around being a dealer aren't being enforced as strictly as they previously were. My account appears to be fully functional, online updates and all options available. Time will tell.

Hopefully my besst tool will be dispatched soon and I'll let you know how I get on.👍

The second thing I did was change the settings from 5 assist levels to 9. For some reason I did not realize I was able to adjust it. I used to use between 0 and 1 for most of the 20 and 40 miles rides, and sometimes going higher when string head wind or quite steep hill. With the 9 levels it gives me more flexibility to assist in smaller percentages which is helping to maximize the motor use and battery drain.
My 500W, 65 Nm torque-sensing Bafang G020 hub-drive has options for 0-3, 0-5, 1-5, 0-6, and 0-9 assist levels, and I vastly prefer 0-9 for all the reasons you mentioned. Ride in 1/9 well over 90% of the time, but I really appreciate the ability to dial in just the right amount of exertion when I need more help.

My 3/9 feels equivalent to 1/5 on my friend's Aventon Level.2, also a 500W, torque-sensing hub-drive. Nice ebike, but I miss my significantly lower 1/9 when I ride it. No option to change its 0-5 levels.

Last edited:
My 500W, 65 Nm torque-sensing hub-drive has options for 0-3, 0-5, 1-5, 0-6, and 0-9 assist levels, and I vastly prefer 0-9 for all the reasons you mentioned. Ride in 1/9 well over 90% of the time, but I really appreciate the ability to dial in just the right amount of exertion when I need more help.

My 3/9 feels equivalent to 1/5 on my friend's Aventon Level.2, also a 500W, torque-sensing hub-drive. Nice ebike, but I miss my significantly lower 1/9 when I ride it. No option to change its 0-5 levels.
I concur 0 - 9 is the way for me.
I have 1 - 4 my most used tightly spaced so the sensation felt going up one PAS is more that it just got a little easier to pedal than a boost in acceleration... though the two are intertwined.

I only managed to take the ebike out twice as I was traveling and the weather is good so its all manual mountain bike for now. But with 1-9 mode and keeping to 0 or 1 assist level, I managed to get two rides totaling 46 miles out of the BT F05 215WH battery. Thats with 3k miles on the bike, figure between 120-150 recharge cycles with 20 to 25 mile average ride. Not bad.

Back