Second back flat tire

Bakari45

I'm still pretty new to e-bike riding, and I'm wondering is it common to get a flat tire the first 30 days after I started daily riding, and then getting another flat two weeks after last flat was fixed. Both times I was miles from home and it was near sundown. There's no way I can fix a back tire away from home.

Is this a common problem and is there something I can do to deal with this issue? It makes me reluctant to go out riding if this keeps happening. I gotta take about an hour tomorroww to get the tire fixed.

Does the tire have puncture protection? Any liners? Any sealant? What type/size of tire? What type of riding/surfaces? "Fixed" in what way? Did you inspect and clean out the inside of the tire and follow recommended procedures?

Well, flats can tend to be kind of random, I've ridden for years without any flats and then had three flats in two day.

What caused the flats? Did you find the hole and figure out if something was stuck in the tire? If the puncture was on the rim side you might have a problem with the wheel (but that is unlikely).

It isn't that hard to fix a flat, and fixing one is a genuine skill and necessary skill. There are ways to patch a flat inner tube without removing the rear wheel. These skills are obviously easier to learn and master at home than along a desolate road in the dark.

If you really don't want to fix flats in the field, I strongly recommend fussily inspecting your bike and your tires before every ride, proactively replacing your tires at the first sign of wear, and consider various options that make your ride more flat-resistant. None of those things will completely eliminate the risk of a flat tire, though.

No, I don't think the tire has puncture protection. I should look into that. Both punctures happened while riding on a city and neighborhood roads. They were significant punctures and I'm not if I could do a temporary fix. Maybe I need better tires.

Last edited:
What caused the flats? Did you find the hole and figure out if something was stuck in the tire? If the puncture was on the rim side you might have a problem with the wheel (but that is unlikely).

It isn't that hard to fix a flat, and fixing one is a genuine skill and necessary skill. There are ways to patch a flat inner tube without removing the rear wheel. These skills are obviously easier to learn and master at home than along a desolate road in the dark.

The first was a nail puncture and the second was a screw nail. I videotaped the guy while he repaired the back tire, but it seems tricky to take off the tire on an e-bike. I'm not sure I want to hassle figuring out how to take it off tomorrow. I rather pay the $13 to quickly fix it so I can get back to work.

Maybe I should look into puncture resistance tires.

The street tires my bike was shipped with were pretty fragile. I replaced them with knabe knobbies, that have 3/16" high rubber bumps that roll over metal & glass trash. When the bumps get down to 3/32" @ 1000 miles I replace them. Flats are <1 per year. The LBS sometimes has a version with as high a bump but a ridge down the middle for less noise. I've been unable to find those on line. Not desparate to buy from LBS; last time I went in he sold me a tire that was limited to 40 PSI, so I had to replace it after one trip due to all the rim-banging that went on.
I ride out 36 miles from the bike shop, so being able to change my own flats is important. That is a long walk pushing a bike, and mine won't fit in the bus racks.

Yeah, I may have to learn to change my own flat, but my biggest concern is flats occurring when I'm miles away from home. It means I need to carry around an innertube, a pump, and a few tools to the carefully change the bike tire in typically lower light conditions. I need to find better protection of tires. Two flats inside of two months is not good. And I can see it happening again because it seems the back tire easily punctures.

Yeah, I may have to learn to change my own flat, but my biggest concern is flats occurring when I'm miles away from home. It means I need to carry around an innertube, a pump, and a few tools to the carefully change the bike tire in typically lower light conditions. I need to find better protection of tires. Two flats inside of two months is not good. And I can see it happening again because it seems the back tire easily punctures.
I carry my AAA card and iphone

I got 3 flats on my new ebike in the first couple of months then took the time to put in my customary tire liner/thorn strips. Much better.

Bicycle flats are a fact of life. You can minimize them with thorn strips/tire liners, puncture resistant tires, Slime in the tubes, etc, but they still happen. Being prepared is highly recommended.

Just about all of us carry a flat kit that includes tire levers, spare tube, patch kit, tire boot, and a pump. I also carry a CO2 inflator because it's just faster. My ebike has through axles so I also carry a bike multi tool for this and other trail side adjustments.

Practicing before hand is a good idea. There are several online videos to help with this as well as other threads you can search for.

BTW - My record for a single day is 3 fats hence the spare tube and patch kit! Haven't had to walk home yet...😎

Just about all of us carry a flat kit that includes tire levers, spare tube, patch kit, tire boot, and a pump. I also carry a CO2 inflator because it's just faster. My ebike has through axles so I also carry a bike multi tool for this and other trail side adjustments.

BTW - My record for a single day is 3 fats hence the spare tube and patch kit! Haven't had to walk home yet...😎

Thanks for your feedback. So you change your tires when you’re away from home? I videotaped the guy changing my tire, and when I get some time, I’m going to practice taking off the back tire. It looks complicated, but I guess with enough practice I can learn to do it.

I had my lbs install Tannus Armour and slime filled tubes which have pretty much eliminated flats.

Awesome, I’ll ask about that. It does seem like my back tire is pretty easy to get punctured.

Thanks for your feedback. So you change your tires when you’re away from home? I videotaped the guy changing my tire, and when I get some time, I’m going to practice taking off the back tire. It looks complicated, but I guess with enough practice I can learn to do it.
I fix my flats trail side for the most part. I start with the spare tube to save time and fix the punctured tube back home. If I get a 2nd flat the same day then I'm using the patch kit trail side. Not my preferred situation, but it beats walking...🤣

I got 3 flats on my new ebike in the first couple of months then took the time to put in my customary tire liner/thorn strips. Much better.

Bicycle flats are a fact of life. You can minimize them with thorn strips/tire liners, puncture resistant tires, Slime in the tubes, etc, but they still happen. Being prepared is highly recommended.

Practicing before hand is a good idea. There are several online videos to help with this as well as other threads you can search for.

Do you have a link to the thorn strips?

Do you have a link to the thorn strips?
These are the ones I use in my ebike. I use a different width in our mech bikes, but same brand.

I roll them out and hang them off the bike over night before putting them in. They straighten out pretty well making them easier to handle. Otherwise they're like a curled noodle, esp in cold weather...😆

Coolio! Thanks!!
I've gotten 4 flats in the past month.
I hope it can stop one of these 🤣 😄 🤣
7d3d76e01cc2c8929baf144d777a4a12fc2132d7-14.jpg

Sometimes bad things just happen...

I like the yellow highlights for the monster hole! 🤣

I had originally sent that pic to a friend who was riding with me that day... He don't see too good. 🤣 🤣

Question... Currently riding 26 x 1.95.. But my next set of tires already purchased are 26 x1.75
The tuffy sizes are 26 x 1.50 - 1.90 and 1.95 - 2.20
Having worked with these things before... Is it easier to make the larger fit the smaller tire or vise/versa.
Or should I stop being cheap and buy both sizes 🙃

The liners are of necessity fairly stiff. As such wider ones don't fit that well in narrower tires. I'd go with the narrower liners.

Back