Second back flat tire

Unfortunately, as an experienced cyclist, I'm not a fan of Tannus due to the lack of road feel. YMMV. ;)
I'll stick with tube/tubeless for road/mtn respectively along with carrying a combination inflator & sealant.
Never ride a quartzite "gravel" road though :) It cost me a good tubeless Maxxis Rekon tyre...

I have solid tyres on some of my wheelbarrows. The reason? Near impossibility of levering their tyres off the rim!

Come to think of it, I have more barrows than ebikes. Now, that's a valid E+1 reason for another ebike!
Works for me!

Works for me!
Hey gang,
Looking for experienced opinions rather than marketing for guidance. I went to tubeless in March with Maxis Rambler. Got about 2900 km on the rear tire before my first flat. Tread got worn to the point that I replaced with the same tire. Original tires were tubed and were running a flat every 160 km or so (yeah, I know that there is an element of random chance when talking about kilometers between flats). Still, most of my riding is on moderately rough, rural pavement so I am not convinced that the mildly knobby tread is needed. Your thoughts on others that might run smoother or faster and still be reasonably puncture resistant. Opinions, thoughts, suppositions and even strange theories are welcome. Thanks, Alvin

Hey gang,
Looking for experienced opinions rather than marketing for guidance. I went to tubeless in March with Maxis Rambler. Got about 2900 km on the rear tire before my first flat. Tread got worn to the point that I replaced with the same tire. Original tires were tubed and were running a flat every 160 km or so (yeah, I know that there is an element of random chance when talking about kilometers between flats). Still, most of my riding is on moderately rough, rural pavement so I am not convinced that the mildly knobby tread is needed. Your thoughts on others that might run smoother or faster and still be reasonably puncture resistant. Opinions, thoughts, suppositions and even strange theories are welcome. Thanks, Alvin
I have 30,000 flat free miles using Tannus Armor. Ride feel is great in my opinion.

hi, as a 12 month newbie myself I carry a spare tube and repair puncture when home, I practiced taking wheel and tyre on and off multiple times, I think I could do now with my eyes shut.😃

Hey gang,
I'm a fan of Schwalbe tires for durability and handling. I'm just now replacing the Schwalbe Spicer tires on my mech bike after ~4,000 miles. I'm replacing them with Schwalbe Marathons. The Schwalbe Marathon GT Tours on my ebike are wearing and preforming quite well. I don't run tubeless, but do use tire liners/thorn strips. Between our 4 bikes we haven't had a flat in ~ 2 years.

Several have reported excellent results with the Schwalbe Hurricane tire, though it is tubed only and not specifically ebike rated. Their Marathon E-Plus is an ebike rated tire and is tubeless compatible. It has Schwalbe's highest durability rating as well. For your riding conditions I think this one is worth a look.

I'm a fan of Schwalbe tires for durability and handling. I'm just now replacing the Schwalbe Spicer tires on my mech bike after ~4,000 miles. I'm replacing them with Schwalbe Marathons. The Schwalbe Marathon GT Tours on my ebike are wearing and preforming quite well. I don't run tubeless, but do use tire liners/thorn strips. Between our 4 bikes we haven't had a flat in ~ 2 years.

Several have reported excellent results with the Schwalbe Hurricane tire, though it is tubed only and not specifically ebike rated. Their Marathon E-Plus is an ebike rated tire and is tubeless compatible. It has Schwalbe's highest durability rating as well. For your riding conditions I think this one is worth a look.
On Schwalbe's page for the Hurricane it specifically says the tire is optimized for E-MTBs.

Hey gang,
I have no clue regarding how, or even if, something like Slime might work in a tubeless application, but I'm very happy with the durability/flat resistance I'm getting while using it in my tubes.

I don't care for the noise created by knobby tires on pavement. When I get a new bike with those installed, they are removed and swapped for pavement tires soon after the bike is pulled from the box. Silence is golden........ -Al

I have no clue regarding how, or even if, something like Slime might work in a tubeless application, but I'm very happy with the durability/flat resistance I'm getting while using it in my tubes.

I don't care for the noise created by knobby tires on pavement. When I get a new bike with those installed, they are removed and swapped for pavement tires soon after the bike is pulled from the box. Silence is golden........ -Al
Yeah, mine are rather noisy and I can feel a faint vibration/hum that isn't there with the road tires on my other machines...but those tires are too light for my Explore. Also, I think I cut a few kilometers off the battery range when I switched to the Ramblers. Seems that the rolling resistance has gone up a little. Thanks, Alvin

hi, as a 12 month newbie myself I carry a spare tube and repair puncture when home, I practiced taking wheel and tyre on and off multiple times, I think I could do now with my eyes shut.😃
I agree with the spare tube. Even tubeless and with the plug kit and extra sealant I am at heart a coward...the spare tubes are my insurance and psychological security blanket against a very long walk home.

My MTBing sons use a sealant in their tubeless tires and ride virtually flat free (or so they say!). They do carry flat kits that include a plug tool for the tire, spare tube for when all else fails, tire levers, CO2 inflator, and pump. When they do get a flat that the plug kit won't fix they tell me it takes them a bit of time to clear out the sealed over thorns, etc, before putting in the spare tube.

I'm still pretty new to e-bike riding, and I'm wondering is it common to get a flat tire the first 30 days after I started daily riding, and then getting another flat two weeks after last flat was fixed. Both times I was miles from home and it was near sundown. There's no way I can fix a back tire away from home.

Is this a common problem and is there something I can do to deal with this issue? It makes me reluctant to go out riding if this keeps happening. I gotta take about an hour tomorroww to get the tire fixed.
I bought a radpower radwagon 4 last September and have had 2 flats now. The first flat was a narrow piece of metal, which I patched and it did fine. It was a slow leak so I wasn’t stranded anywhere. The 2nd flat was I think broken glass. I only ride on roads, so my only risks are construction & glass debris.

I now have a Mr Tuffy liner in place in my rear wheel, and so far so good. In the process, I now have the confidence to fix flats on the road so I ride with a replacement tube, a pair of rubber gloves, a set of tire levers, the correct wrench for the axel, an allen wrench for the rear torque arm, a few zip ties, a pair of needle-nose pliers, 2 small blocks (to rest handle-bars on), and a small hand-pump that came in a different road-side repair kit. I carry these and only these in the front tube bag.

As another poster pointed out, most tubes can be patched, but that’s much easier to do at home. Make sure the wheel is clear of all debris before putting the new tube in - the needle-nose pliers come in handy for that (like the one time I had metal lodged in the wheel).

I had 3 flats on my rear SCHWALBE 3-G tires in one year. Finally added Tannus Armor to both my front and rear tires recently. Had the wife pick me up both times. It was good practice for me to get those suckers installed…they weren’t easy! I feel I could definitely change/patch tubes or patch the tires.

Back