Second back flat tire

That's what I was thinking... Only a loss of .05" protection on the current larger tire.

On a somewhat related topic.
I just picked up 3 Conti tubes on eBay from a seller in the UK. They came with fully threaded schrader valves with a nut.
That's new to me.
Those fancy Europeans 😊

IMAG0300.jpg

Coolio! Thanks!!
I've gotten 4 flats in the past month.
I hope it can stop one of these 🤣 😄 🤣

I feel you pain. It totally takes the fun out riding a bike. The repair guy replace the tube and also added some
Slime Tube Sealant. Not sure how helpful the Sealant will be. The cost of the tire no more than a half a tank of gas, but it’s
I had my lbs install Tannus Armour and slime filled tubes which have pretty much eliminated flats.

I talked to the repair guy yesterday about this, and he was totally agains it. He said it greatly affects the function of the tires. It doesn’t make for a smooth ride.

Yeah I don't think I'm on board with the Tannus solution either.

Riding the SLIME myself as of two weeks ago.
So far so good.
When the Mr. Tuffy strips show up next week I'll slide them in as well.

Yeah I don't think I'm on board with the Tannus solution either.

Riding the SLIME myself as of two weeks ago.
So far so good.
When the Mr. Tuffy strips show up next week I'll slide them in as well.
I have probably 20,000 miles running Tannus riding in Southern California on good paved roads. I ride a Trek Super Commuter with 2.5 inch tires and the ride is great!
Here is a link to my ride yesterday.

I have probably 20,000 miles running Tannus riding in Southern California on good paved roads. I ride a Trek Super Commuter with 2.5 inch tires and the ride is great!
Here is a link to my ride yesterday.

My own experience has been that the vast majority of flats I get are on contaminated highway shoulders, so I'm not so sure if you are riding on good paved roads that is a superb record. The additional substantial weight of Tannus is seriously unappealing to me.

There is a lot happening in the tire insert space, and in particular mountain bikers have been busy and extremely creative. When I see products like the Huck Norris it gives me hope for the future -- basically you could limp home on most flats and not damage your tire or rim in the process. And the Norris is about 25% of the weight of Tannus Armor and is much easier to install as well.

BTW - My record for a single day is 3 fats hence the spare tube and patch kit! Haven't had to walk home yet...😎

My record is three flats in two days. I don't envy you on that one.

The very best patches are the Rims Tip Top Patches, while the very best case for patches has to be the Park Tool VP-1 (it stays closed and is smaller than the Rima box). They are both cheap and I recommend putting the Rima Patches in the Park Tool box. You can also buy Rima patches in quantities of 100 -- but that is more flat tires than I care to contemplate. My own experience is that the cement goes bad long before you run out of patches on average.

My own experience has been that the vast majority of flats I get are on contaminated highway shoulders, so I'm not so sure if you are riding on good paved roads that is a superb record. The additional substantial weight of Tannus is seriously unappealing to me.

There is a lot happening in the tire insert space, and in particular mountain bikers have been busy and extremely creative. When I see products like the Huck Norris it gives me hope for the future -- basically you could limp home on most flats and not damage your tire or rim in the process. And the Norris is about 25% of the weight of Tannus Armor and is much easier to install as well.

The very best patches are the Rims Tip Top Patches, while the very best case for patches has to be the Park Tool VP-1 (it stays closed and is smaller than the Rima box). They are both cheap and I recommend putting the Rima Patches in the Park Tool box. You can also buy Rima patches in quantities of 100 -- but that is more flat tires than I care to contemplate. My own experience is that the cement goes bad long before you run out of patches on average.
As soon as I open a tube of the glue in one of the patch kits I give it maybe 6 mos before it stiffens up and is useless. I replace them seasonally and keep a brush top can in the shop.

I help teach a cycling class to local youth. Part of the skills we cover is fixing a flat. I buy patches for this class on eBay, 50 patches for $1, incl shipping. I use them as well. Never had one fail, except when a student didn't do the prep correctly!

To help keep things fresh after opening like tire patch glue use a small piece of a plastic bag or cellophane over the tube opening before screwing on the cap

I don't worry about weight, I have a motor, and once the shop installed them I have not had to worry about ease of install for the last couple of years.

I'm still pretty new to e-bike riding, and I'm wondering is it common to get a flat tire the first 30 days after I started daily riding, and then getting another flat two weeks after last flat was fixed. Both times I was miles from home and it was near sundown. There's no way I can fix a back tire away from home.

Is this a common problem and is there something I can do to deal with this issue? It makes me reluctant to go out riding if this keeps happening. I gotta take about an hour tomorroww to get the tire fixed.
Fat butt and and low pressure wear my rear tires out. ;)

I don't worry about weight, I have a motor, and once the shop installed them I have not had to worry about ease of install for the last couple of years.

I'm sure the negatives aren't anything to worry about. If I still have a problem down the road I might give them a try.
I do like the fact that they do provide some run_flat capabilities. Do you know what the maximum recommended weight and distance is for doing so?

The street tires my bike was shipped with were pretty fragile. I replaced them with knabe knobbies, that have 3/16" high rubber bumps that roll over metal & glass trash. When the bumps get down to 3/32" @ 1000 miles I replace them. Flats are <1 per year. The LBS sometimes has a version with as high a bump but a ridge down the middle for less noise. I've been unable to find those on line. Not desparate to buy from LBS; last time I went in he sold me a tire that was limited to 40 PSI, so I had to replace it after one trip due to all the rim-banging that went on.
I ride out 36 miles from the bike shop, so being able to change my own flats is important. That is a long walk pushing a bike, and mine won't fit in the bus racks.

Riding knobbies on paved roads isn't a solution I'd be happy with. The loss of traction, smoothness of ride and added noise make it a no_go for me. In fact one of my favorite changes on my bike was replacing the knobbies with a combo street /gravel tire.
But I guess it all depends where you ride.

I'm sure the negatives aren't anything to worry about. If I still have a problem down the road I might give them a try.
I do like the fact that they do provide some run_flat capabilities. Do you know what the maximum recommended weight and distance is for doing so?
I did get one flat caused by an inch long piece of metal that managed to get through all of the protection and make a big enough hole that the tire was completely flat.
I am 210 lbs and carrying two 5.7 lb batteries in my bag riding a 50 lb bike, I called for a ride. I recently spoke to AAA and added RV coverage for $40 year and they will pick me up if I am stranded.

That's what I was thinking... Only a loss of .05" protection on the current larger tire.

On a somewhat related topic.
I just picked up 3 Conti tubes on eBay from a seller in the UK. They came with fully threaded schrader valves with a nut.
That's new to me.
Those fancy Europeans 😊

Conti has been doing that for decades. It's one of the best tubes for double-walled eBike rims. Typical rubber valves are too short!

Well, in theory. What I've found is that even tiny amounts of extra weight on the wheels can cause a noticeable range hit and (even worse) change the ride feel for the worse. Most e-bikes are already basically two-wheeled barges as far as maneuverability and nimbleness are concerned, and an extra pound of weight on the wheels makes a bad situation worse.

I switched from Schwalbe Smart Sams and Slime tubes (where I got no flats for over two years) to Schwalbe Hurricanes and Tubulitos, saving quite a bit of weight on each wheel and making bumpy gravel descents much more fun. I got more flats, but all of them happened in a two-day period and that might just be a bad draw of the cards. So far the biggest issue is that the valves on the Tubulitos aren't quite as durable and don't appreciate getting hit with debris.

These are the ones I use in my ebike. I use a different width in our mech bikes, but same brand.

I roll them out and hang them off the bike over night before putting them in. They straighten out pretty well making them easier to handle. Otherwise they're like a curled noodle, esp in cold weather...😆

I'm officially a TUFF guy now!
Thanks!

IMAG0323.jpg

Another very hearty vote for Slime. Cheap, easy, and effective way to reduce or eliminate flats.

Slime is definitely a good flat deterrent but be advised, patching a slime filled tube is a messy job. If the puncture is large enough, the slime won't stop the leak and the compound coats the outside of the tube around the puncture as well as the inside of the tire. This makes it difficult to get a patch to adhere to the tube. Use an alcohol wipe to clean the area before applying the patch. I carry a few in my patch kit just in case.

Slime is definitely a good flat deterrent but be advised, patching a slime filled tube is a messy job. If the puncture is large enough, the slime won't stop the leak and the compound coats the outside of the tube around the puncture as well as the inside of the tire. This makes it difficult to get a patch to adhere to the tube. Use an alcohol wipe to clean the area before applying the patch. I carry a few in my patch kit just in case.

Good to know... Thanks!
When home I've always used alcohol to clean the tube before I apply glue.

Back