Searching for a quality eMTN bike around $2000

Norcalbaker

First of all, thanks a ton to Court and EBR as a whole. This site has been a truly wonderful repository of expertise when trying to choose a first ebike. Keep up the outstanding work!

I rode a friend’s Voltbike Outback a few times and now I’m hooked! I am looking for some advice on a quality eMTN bike that can handle rough terrain and beginner-intermediate single track riding for around $2000. Most riding will be in forest and desert. Here are my initial requirements:

Throttle (trigger or twist fine)
Hydraulic brakes
At least 14Ah battery (negotiable)
Tires around 3” wide (puncture resistant)
Quality front shock
Motor inhibitors on both brakes
Forward/downhill riding style
Full suspension desired (but for $2k very few options)
At least 500W power (as high torque as possible... guess that’s obvious!)
Wide cassette tooth range (9 speed desired)
Torque sensor (cadence sensors just seem more problematic)

After a few weeks of research, I have narrowed it down to a Surface 604 Shred or SONDORS MXS. I am going to go test both bikes in the next few weeks, but wanted to solicit advice from the experts. Any heroes out there have a favorite eMTN bike that checks all these boxes? Thanks in advance for the consideration!

I'm very familiar with Emtb's and would like to offer you some advice. Unfortunately your budget will not get you much of a EMTB for many reasons. Most of the budget bikes in the 2K range have low end component, cheaper frames, low end batteries as well as low end motor drives. My comments are not to sway you away but to encourage you to do a lot of research.

For rough terrain you will need a mid drive motor as well as good suspension and great stopping power. A good front fork will run you $400 and up depending on size ( true adequate forks are far more expensisve) and clearance. The bike's you have listed do not offer components that are worthy of rough terrain. The weight of the budget bikes are too heavy for rough and intermediate trails.

Battery mounts are critical to rough terrain. The surface mount won't last long on rough terrain and the Sonders battery, although contained, will rattle like heck.

Brakes are critical, Tektro (and similar) brakes are not efficient for mountain biking.

Rear drum drives are not efficient for mountain biking. Mid drive is the only way to go.

For a lot of reasons, do not get a throttle bike for serious mountain biking.

You indicated "rough terrain and intermediate" trails, not sure what you are exactly refer to but the trails I ride (rough and intermediate) will eat up cheap components and builds.

My first bike was a budget trail bike and I soon learned that it was only reliable as a hard paved or dirt road rider. I was very disappointed that I didn't do more research and understand what is needed for riding mountain bike trails. I ended up buying a better EMTB and my other bike is now my townie bike.

I would highly suggest you visit EMTB.com and look around the forums for information on what makes a good entry level bike. Also, I highly recommend you purchase from a LBS, especially if mountain biking. Things will break and having local support is important.

The marketing stuff that these companies put out on the lower end bikes is deceiving. They are also vague on what some of the components are (such as the suspension). it's hard to believe that 2K is a budget bike in the electric mountain biking world! Most decent emtb's start around 4K and up. You can lower your cost on a nicer bike by going to a hard tail which can provide a substantial savings.

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice, any recommendations on a reliable hardtail that is under 2.5k? Or is it just a fool’s errand?

Most anything near my budget is rear drive. Been riding a buddy’s Haibike Sduro (mid drive FS) and it is awesome... I just can’t shell out $4k!

It is either:
  • cheap e-MTB, no quality, or
  • quality e-MTB, not cheap, or
  • cheap quality e-bike but is it not e-MTB.
Just to explain: a good shock fork costs around US$400-500. Similarly for the rear damper. A good dropper seat post costs over $300. e-MTB grade brakes don't come cheap. e-MTB drive-train with proper gearing is expensive. Add to is a mountain-bike grade mid-drive motor and good battery. No throttle. No wonder one of the most affordable quality FS e-MTB, Giant Stance E+ 2 starts at $3900.

I need to add the fact the e-MTB motors are 250 W nominal should not scare you as these motors offer high torque, high peak power and have proper gearing for dramatic ascents.

A good hard-tail e-MTB, Giant Talon E+ 29 3 (2021) sells for $2500.

Last edited:
The Polygon Entiat TR-E is an incredibly spec'd bike for the money. Unfortunately they are currently out of stock. Of course you also give up dealer support, but that is what you give up in exchange for a low price.
Even better, only $2,800 for the new model with a nicer color scheme IMO:

I have done well on two occasions buying late model used bikes. You can get a good, FS, $4,000 bike for under $3,000. Just be patient, check craigslist, ebay and user forums and wait till the right deal comes along. There are some cautions on buying used but your requirements and budget are so far apart this may be your best path.

Here are two very good new FS EMTBs for around $3,000 I found doing a quick search on ebay. If a good deal on a used one shows up there, it is usually bought up quickly. If you go that route be patient and do a search every morning. Check out seller feedback carefully.

First of all, thanks a ton to Court and EBR as a whole. This site has been a truly wonderful repository of expertise when trying to choose a first ebike. Keep up the outstanding work!

I rode a friend’s Voltbike Outback a few times and now I’m hooked! I am looking for some advice on a quality eMTN bike that can handle rough terrain and beginner-intermediate single track riding for around $2000. Most riding will be in forest and desert. Here are my initial requirements:

Throttle (trigger or twist fine)
Hydraulic brakes
At least 14Ah battery (negotiable)
Tires around 3” wide (puncture resistant)
Quality front shock
Motor inhibitors on both brakes
Forward/downhill riding style
Full suspension desired (but for $2k very few options)
At least 500W power (as high torque as possible... guess that’s obvious!)
Wide cassette tooth range (9 speed desired)
Torque sensor (cadence sensors just seem more problematic)

After a few weeks of research, I have narrowed it down to a Surface 604 Shred or SONDORS MXS. I am going to go test both bikes in the next few weeks, but wanted to solicit advice from the experts. Any heroes out there have a favorite eMTN bike that checks all these boxes? Thanks in advance for the consideration!
Welcome to EBR. ;)
If you can live without a throttle, you can find a decent light trail bike for under $2K
Take a look at BBB and BD for some deals on limited or closeout models... hope this helps.

2021 Motobecane Full Suspension eAdventure Shimano MidDrive $1999

1605747498715.png

2020 Haibike SDURO HARDSEVEN LIFE 1.0 $2,098
1605748208188.png

Last edited:
Welcome to EBR. ;)
If you can live without a throttle, you can find a decent light trail bike for under $2K
Take a look at BBB and BD for some deals on limited or closeout models... hope this helps.

2021 Motobecane Full Suspension eAdventure Shimano MidDrive $1999

View attachment 71787

2020 Haibike SDURO HARDSEVEN LIFE 1.0 $2,098
View attachment 71789
Bicycle Blue Book sometimes accepts offers far lower than the asking price on "BBB Direct" bikes 👍

Bicycle Blue Book sometimes accepts offers far lower than the asking price on "BBB Direct" bikes 👍
Good point... pre-Covid, I regularly made offers at 10% off that BBB accepted... maybe 5% today. ;)

Last edited:
Good point... pre-Covid, I regularly made offers at 10% off that BBB accepted... maybe 5% today. ;)
Last week, I made an offer for a friend of $1800 on the $2098 Haibike you linked from BBB above, and it was accepted... that's 14% by my calculations 😸

Unfortunately she changed her mind when it came time to pay - $1950 with shipping was too much I guess 🤷‍♂️

It is either:
  • cheap e-MTB, no quality, or
  • quality e-MTB, not cheap, or
  • cheap quality e-bike but is it not e-MTB.
Just to explain: a good shock fork costs around US$400-500. Similarly for the rear damper. A good dropper seat post costs over $300. e-MTB grade brakes don't come cheap. e-MTB drive-train with proper gearing is expensive. Add to is a mountain-bike grade mid-drive motor and good battery. No throttle. No wonder one of the most affordable quality FS e-MTB, Giant Stance E+ 2 starts at $3900.

I need to add the fact the e-MTB motors are 250 W nominal should not scare you as these motors offer high torque, high peak power and have proper gearing for dramatic ascents.

A good hard-tail e-MTB, Giant Talon E+ 29 3 (2021) sells for $2500.
Full disclosure - I ride a 2020 Fathom E+1 Pro (and love it).

It's out of your stated price range (and isn't listed on the Giant US site) but they do have a lower model in MY20 - the Fathom E+3.
It's $2700 but has a better motor than the Talon. I'm starting to see discounted pricing on some 2020 models.

Here's the Link to the product page.

Last week, I made an offer for a friend of $1800 on the $2098 Haibike you linked from BBB above, and it was accepted... that's 14% by my calculations 😸

Unfortunately she changed her mind when it came time to pay - $1950 with shipping was too much I guess 🤷‍♂️
Good to know the discount rate is 10-15%... sounds like the cold weather is now slowing the seller's market we experienced this summer. ;)

Back