Sealer for tire flats-Green Slime, Flat Attack, Zefal or Fix A Flat for Bikes?

bob armani

Anyone have experience with these products? My LBS warned me against using Green Slime in my tubes. They indicated that over time it wears away at the glue around the valves causing erosion.
Not sure what to use? Anyone please chime in. Thanks a lot!

I've never heard of an erosion problem, but a more common problem I have heard of is that over time the sealant can clog the valve and make it impossible to put air in the tire. That problem seems to happen more often if the bike is left unridden, especially in warm weather. You can generally fix the problem by replacing the valve.

I run Orange Seal (simular to Stans) in my emtbs with tubeless tires which works great. I seemed to have a flat on just about every ride when I used to run inner tubes. Downside it that you have to renew the sealant every couple of months.
On my pavement/multiuse trail ebikes I have been using tire liners with inner tubes and carry spare tubes and the tools needed to repair a flat. The probably I found with the Slime type sealants is that they work only on very small "pin prick" type of puncture (maybe) and nothing else. It won't seal and nail, tack, or a puncture from glass, and instead makes a big mess with the green slime spewing everywhere. You then can't patch the tube as the stuff will continue to ooze and you can't get a patch to stick. I found it so much better to carry a patch kit, spare inner tubes, and the necessary tools to fix it correctly rather than try to take an easy shortcut that rarely ever works. Sure, its a bit of a hassle on the side of the road, especially with a rear hub drive motor, but it works. And knowing that you can fix a tire anywhere gives you so much more confidence to ride further and explore different places.

I've used Stans sealant in my 700X40C pedal bike for +4 years and never changed it out. I added a 2oz bottle to my old pedal bike when I got my first flat from a goathead thorn and it has been working ever since.

I've use Stans with my 4" fat tires on my Radrover since Sept/2016 with about 3000 miles between them now (two 2oz bottles per tire, Mr. Tuffy liner, Kenda tubes, Vee8 120tpi tires). My current set-up work very well for goathead thorns (usually picking out 1-8 from tires after every ride). I leave the thorns in the tires until I get home. If the tire starts to leak when removed, I just rotate the tire down until Stans does it job and check the PSI.

The combo let me down twice when I ran over road debris of metal or glass that put a 1/8" slash in my tires and when I ran over a 4" wood screw with about 3 1/2" in the rear tire.

Over time, I now keep all the tools I need from patching to replacing the tube in my flat kit:
- hand pump
- tire gauge
- tools to remove rear hub tire
- zip ties
- 2oz bottle of Stans
- knife
- latex gloves
- handy wipe package (for hands and cleaning tire for patch kit)
- spare tube
- flat kit with valve stem remover
- a couple shop towels (4oz of Stans makes a hell of a mess inside the tire if the hole is too big to seal)
- 4 velcro straps (used to wrap around the 120tpi tire to keep the soft bead in place when airing up)
- cell phone handy to call wife to pick me up if I just don't feel like dealing with the flat right then (used this option twice already)

I've never heard of an erosion problem, but a more common problem I have heard of is that over time the sealant can clog the valve and make it impossible to put air in the tire. That problem seems to happen more often if the bike is left unridden, especially in warm weather. You can generally fix the problem by replacing the valve.

Not sure why my LBS claimed the erosion issue, but I do know they are very passionate about their business. I believe they may have tested it in their shop and found this issue, thus causing them to change brands. They are now selling Flat Attack and Zefal 100ML spray. Thanks Mr. Coffee!

I run Orange Seal (simular to Stans) in my emtbs with tubeless tires which works great. I seemed to have a flat on just about every ride when I used to run inner tubes. Downside it that you have to renew the sealant every couple of months.
On my pavement/multiuse trail ebikes I have been using tire liners with inner tubes and carry spare tubes and the tools needed to repair a flat. The probably I found with the Slime type sealants is that they work only on very small "pin prick" type of puncture (maybe) and nothing else. It won't seal and nail, tack, or a puncture from glass, and instead makes a big mess with the green slime spewing everywhere. You then can't patch the tube as the stuff will continue to ooze and you can't get a patch to stick. I found it so much better to carry a patch kit, spare inner tubes, and the necessary tools to fix it correctly rather than try to take an easy shortcut that rarely ever works. Sure, its a bit of a hassle on the side of the road, especially with a rear hub drive motor, but it works. And knowing that you can fix a tire anywhere gives you so much more confidence to ride further and explore different places.

Thanks Alphbetadog! I never thought about the slime oozing out causing your inner tube to be totally beyond repair. A wealth of information here. I have been very lucky with minimal roadside flats. Called my wife to come get me when it happened LOL!:D

I have 700c X 38c tires on my ebike with a rear hub motor. Some of the canned sealants may not have the pressure to fill them @ 50psi. Perhaps only 30psi with skilled hands?? My LBS claimed that Flat Att is a better product at sealing than the Slime.

I've used Stans sealant in my 700X40C pedal bike for +4 years and never changed it out. I added a 2oz bottle to my old pedal bike when I got my first flat from a goathead thorn and it has been working ever since.

I've use Stans with my 4" fat tires on my Radrover since Sept/2016 with about 3000 miles between them now (two 2oz bottles per tire, Mr. Tuffy liner, Kenda tubes, Vee8 120tpi tires). My current set-up work very well for goathead thorns (usually picking out 1-8 from tires after every ride). I leave the thorns in the tires until I get home. If the tire starts to leak when removed, I just rotate the tire down until Stans does it job and check the PSI.

The combo let me down twice when I ran over road debris of metal or glass that put a 1/8" slash in my tires and when I ran over a 4" wood screw with about 3 1/2" in the rear tire.

Over time, I now keep all the tools I need from patching to replacing the tube in my flat kit:
- hand pump
- tire gauge
- tools to remove rear hub tire
- zip ties
- 2oz bottle of Stans
- knife
- latex gloves
- handy wipe package (for hands and cleaning tire for patch kit)
- spare tube
- flat kit with valve stem remover
- a couple shop towels (4oz of Stans makes a hell of a mess inside the tire if the hole is too big to seal)
- 4 velcro straps (used to wrap around the 120tpi tire to keep the soft bead in place when airing up)
- cell phone handy to call wife to pick me up if I just don't feel like dealing with the flat right then (used this option twice already)

Mr. Gold-Thanks for the great tips. You are very well prepared. I have been riding for a very long time and never carried anything for the exception of a hand pump. Not many flats though, on paved tarmac throughout my biking experience. No liners either, just regular inner tubes. Just lucky I suppose!

With all of these handy tools, how long does it take you to fix a flat? Many steps. Just curious. Thanks!

It depends if it is requires just a patch (10-15 mins) or if I need to replace the tube (20-30 mins rear and a little less for the front). I would just add extra items each time I need something additional to save me time or effort. I've only had a couple of flat in +3000 miles of ebiking. It is just I'm usually 5-15 miles from home if I do get a flat and I don't want to push the bike that far if I forget something.

It depends if it is requires just a patch (10-15 mins) or if I need to replace the tube (20-30 mins rear and a little less for the front). I would just add extra items each time I need something additional to save me time or effort. I've only had a couple of flat in +3000 miles of ebiking. It is just I'm usually 5-15 miles from home if I do get a flat and I don't want to push the bike that far if I forget something.

Wow 3000 miles and a couple of flats! That is a pretty good record. Ride Safe. Thanks.

Less than 200 miles on my new RadRover and I've already had 3 flats, 2 of which happened after installing Mr Tuffy liners. Love the bike, not digging all the flats. I rarely got flats on my regular mountain bike. Wondering why this keeps happening. I keep the psi at the recommended range and do a combo of trail & street riding. Bought some Gup sealant and a portable fat tire pump. Kinda worried about getting stranded miles from home. Anyone else having excessive flat issues?

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 3,419
Less than 200 miles on my new RadRover and I've already had 3 flats, 2 of which happened after installing Mr Tuffy liners. Love the bike, not digging all the flats. I rarely got flats on my regular mountain bike. Wondering why this keeps happening. I keep the psi at the recommended range and do a combo of trail & street riding. Bought some Gup sealant and a portable fat tire pump. Kinda worried about getting stranded miles from home. Anyone else having excessive flat issues?

I have two 2016 Radrovers with a little under 4000 miles between both of them. I do a combo of work commuting, paved road/trail, and trail /single track riding.

I had a lot more flats with the standard Kenda tires. The knobs on the Kenda are spread so far apart and the rubber is really thin between the knobs. We have goathead stickers in New Mexico and I usually have 3-8 per tire every ride. I did Mr. Tuffy+Stans tire sealant and that helped cut the flats from goatheads down. I've noticed Mr. Tuffy isn't really puncture resistant. I've found Mr. Tuffy just adds extra layer of thickness between the tire and tube against small flats like from goatheads. I still have to remove my Mr. Tuffy liner a few times a year to remove broken off goatheads still stuck in the liner. I end up having to add more Stans every month or so to replace the drop in sealant.

I've updated to Vee8 26X4 120 tpi tires and that cut my flats way down because this tire has 10X more knobs for a thicker tire overall. I still use Mr. Tuffy and 2 bottles of Stans in the tube per tire. I also have a rear rack and pack tools, flat kit, pump, and spare tube if I can't repair the tube on the road. I work commute at 5:30am and a few times I ran over road debris that resulted in slits or holes large enough in my tires Mr. Tuffy+Stans couldn't stop. Replacing the tube was the only way to get me back on the road.

Vee8 Tires on my 2016 Radrover, way less "killer bees" knobby paved road noise compared to Kenda tires:
Vee8 Tires.jpg

Thanks very much for the tire recommendation. I did a little research last night and read about the Kenda tires having thin rubber, etc. I live in SoCal and those pesky goat heads were the cause of all 3 flats. A tire replacement is in my immediate future. I'll check out those Vee8's and like the idea of sticking with Mr Tuffy's plus some decent sealant. This is the price to pay for a gnarly fat tire ebike, I suppose. BTW, I've actually grown fond of the sound of buzzing bees, but will happily give that up if it means less flats!! Thanks again! Bzzzzzz....

I have two 2016 Radrovers with a little under 4000 miles between both of them. I do a combo of work commuting, paved road/trail, and trail /single track riding.

I had a lot more flats with the standard Kenda tires. The knobs on the Kenda are spread so far apart and the rubber is really thin between the knobs. We have goathead stickers in New Mexico and I usually have 3-8 per tire every ride. I did Mr. Tuffy+Stans tire sealant and that helped cut the flats from goatheads down. I've noticed Mr. Tuffy isn't really puncture resistant. I've found Mr. Tuffy just adds extra layer of thickness between the tire and tube against small flats like from goatheads. I still have to remove my Mr. Tuffy liner a few times a year to remove broken off goatheads still stuck in the liner. I end up having to add more Stans every month or so to replace the drop in sealant.

I've updated to Vee8 26X4 120 tpi tires and that cut my flats way down because this tire has 10X more knobs for a thicker tire overall. I still use Mr. Tuffy and 2 bottles of Stans in the tube per tire. I also have a rear rack and pack tools, flat kit, pump, and spare tube if I can't repair the tube on the road. I work commute at 5:30am and a few times I ran over road debris that resulted in slits or holes large enough in my tires Mr. Tuffy+Stans couldn't stop. Replacing the tube was the only way to get me back on the road.

Vee8 Tires on my 2016 Radrover, way less "killer bees" knobby paved road noise compared to Kenda tires:
View attachment 20164

Mr Gold-Apologize for my ignorance, but I do not believe I have seen or know what a goat head actually is?? It sounds like it is like the killer bees attacking your tires. Are they that rampant that you need to take extreme measures in protecting your bikes from flats? What does one even look like? Sounds like they resemble a broken thorn from a rose bush if I've got that right. Here in the Midwest, I get very few flats perhaps one every 4-5 years if that. What a terrible nuisance to say the least. Sounds like you need bulletproof tires just to ride peacefully without having puncture anxiety. Ride safe!

I don't know the actual name of the plant; but, everyone calls them "goatheads" or "goathead thorns". Not the same as those pin cushion looking "sticker" thorns that always get stuck on your socks or shoe lace. Bike tires, pet paws, or walking and you can end up have a lot of them stuck to the bottom of your shoe. Most of the time the goatheads are not long enough to reach all the way to the tube (Mr. Tuffy helps add an extra layer of protection). So far; Stans tire sealant in my tubes has worked every time to plug goathead leaks after 4000 miles of riding. Learned to never remove the goathead on the road. I wait until I get home, remove, listen for the hissing sound, rotate the tire down, and wait a few second for Stans to work.

Attachments

• goathead III.jpg
    goathead III.jpg
    486.1 KB · Views: 1,333
  • goathead II.jpg
    goathead II.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 1,165
Goathead pods are very small, but they're sharp and they puncture many tires of unknowing cyclist here in CA too. I think the weed grows in western states but isn't indigenios. I also used a sealant called Gup for one of my flats. Seemed to work well. New tires are going on tomorrow, along with sealant. Decided on Maxxis Minion FBF / FBR. Wish me luck! Pics and review to follow.

Agree with mrgold35 about Stan's sealant for tubeless tires. Most punctures seal right up, and the few flats I've had over several years could be sealed by rotating the tire and pumping it back up. Here in the Southern Calif. desert the cactus always seem to be out to get you!

I carry a small pair of vice grip pliers for removing Cholla cactus tuberculate thorn clusters. The tire shown didn't leak air thanks to Stans.

cholla.jpg

Here's a thorn from an Ocotillo that I noticed and pulled from my tire after a ride. The Stans had sealed around it in place and even filled an sealed the hole after removing it.

ocotillo.jpg

I don't know the actual name of the plant; but, everyone calls them "goatheads" or "goathead thorns". Not the same as those pin cushion looking "sticker" thorns that always get stuck on your socks or shoe lace. Bike tires, pet paws, or walking and you can end up have a lot of them stuck to the bottom of your shoe. Most of the time the goatheads are not long enough to reach all the way to the tube (Mr. Tuffy helps add an extra layer of protection). So far; Stans tire sealant in my tubes has worked every time to plug goathead leaks after 4000 miles of riding. Learned to never remove the goathead on the road. I wait until I get home, remove, listen for the hissing sound, rotate the tire down, and wait a few second for Stans to work.

Mr. Gold-Thanks for clarifying with your photos. I counted approx 50 heads on that side of the tire alone. Are you saying that you have to get perhaps a needle nose pliers after each ride and pluck those little buggers out of your tires?? If so, that sounds insane and time consuming to have to do so. Thank god for products like Stan's that does the job. Looks like some genius will have to develop a tire that can be more resistant to these nasty thorns. Can one of them perhaps stick to the tire then break off and sling into your legs, arms face etc? Just curious how much of a threat these are to the entire riding experience.

Agree with mrgold35 about Stan's sealant for tubeless tires. Most punctures seal right up, and the few flats I've had over several years could be sealed by rotating the tire and pumping it back up. Here in the Southern Calif. desert the cactus always seem to be out to get you!

I carry a small pair of vice grip pliers for removing Cholla cactus tuberculate thorn clusters. The tire shown didn't leak air thanks to Stans.

View attachment 20179

Here's a thorn from an Ocotillo that I noticed and pulled from my tire after a ride. The Stans had sealed around it in place and even filled an sealed the hole after removing it.

View attachment 20178

I never knew these were such a threat during my entire bike riding adventures. They are so brutal. I would imagine motorcycle dirt bike/ATV tires would be a lot more resistant to the thorns...

Back