How to Prevent Flat Tires on Electric Bikes

What pressure do you keep the tubolito's at? I can be convinced to change out the Tannus inserts if the tubes really are more resistant to punctures. I'd rather hear it from you than the Tubo folks.
I can't say that the Tubolitos are more puncture resistant than butyl rubber with Tannus Armour. They have been tested and shown to be about twice as puncture resistant as butyl rubber tubes. I suspect they will be more puncture prone than a tire fitted with Tannus. We shall see just how much over time. As of now I am so glad to be rid of them, going faster and further, that it looks to be a trade off I prefer. Real results over time may change that.

I can't say that the Tubolitos are more puncture resistant than butyl rubber with Tannus Armour. They have been tested and shown to be about twice as puncture resistant as butyl rubber tubes. I suspect they will be more puncture prone than a tire fitted with Tannus. We shall see just how much over time. As of now I am so glad to be rid of them, going faster and further, that it looks to be a trade off I prefer. Real results over time may change that.
Was scouring a few suppliers the other night, looking for vapourware, and noticed a couple of other tire/tube manufactures are doing similar style of tubes to Tubolito. I invested in my first set of Tubolito's on my 700 x 40 non-electric gravel bike which was until now tubeless. Nothing against tubeless, and I still run tubeless on my fat bike, but I am thoroughly a fan of the Tubolitos. The gravel bike when aired down feels just like tubeless.
I have built very much upgraded wheels for our Como 5.0 and Vado 5.0, more for a strength perspective (and because I can). Took the Vado to 27.5 so I could fit in some Super Moto tires. Very comfortable, and even more so with the new tubes. Fortunately we don't deal with many thorns in our riding area, but I do carry the Tubo flat repair kit just in case. Will change my Levo over to Tubolito too when they become available again.

Was scouring a few suppliers the other night, looking for vapourware, and noticed a couple of other tire/tube manufactures are doing similar style of tubes to Tubolito. I invested in my first set of Tubolito's on my 700 x 40 non-electric gravel bike which was until now tubeless. Nothing against tubeless, and I still run tubeless on my fat bike, but I am thoroughly a fan of the Tubolitos. The gravel bike when aired down feels just like tubeless.
I have built very much upgraded wheels for our Como 5.0 and Vado 5.0, more for a strength perspective (and because I can). Took the Vado to 27.5 so I could fit in some Super Moto tires. Very comfortable, and even more so with the new tubes. Fortunately we don't deal with many thorns in our riding area, but I do carry the Tubo flat repair kit just in case. Will change my Levo over to Tubolito too when they become available again.
You were doing great right up till those last four words...

iris an idea wonder if you could use a sealer like Stans in them? but man just for my one bike. would need 4 tubes that would be very expensive. I usually only get a flat or two a year.

You are saying they will better than any other tubes that are also without the armour strips right? And they are Out of Stock? I have a pair of Comos with stock wheels 650b 2.25 ? tires if it matters.

Last edited:
iris an idea wonder if you could use a sealer like Stans in them? but man just for my one bike. would need 4 tubes that would be very expensive. I usually only get a flat or two a year.
If you wander around the rolling resistance website referenced by Alaskan you will find an article and test about adding sealer to tubes. There is a lot of interesting and useful info on this site.

I just ordered 2 tubes plus a spare and patch kit from BikeInn.com. Their prices are better than ordering direct from Tubolito and they quote in your currency. From what I saw, they seem to have plenty of stock.

You are saying they will better than any other tubes that are also without the armour strips right? And they are Out of Stock? I have a pair of Comos with stock wheels 650b 2.25 ? tires if it matters.
they are the best I have found. there may be others. As to stock, just search around the internet and you should be able to find them.

It took me two minutes to find these

Good to hear these are available. LBS didn.t seem to have heard of them, and I hadn't checked , just guessed "when available" meant supply chain problems.

Good to hear these are available. LBS didn.t seem to have heard of them, and I hadn't checked , just guessed "when available" meant supply chain problems.
I just picked up some Aerothans which are Schwalbe's version of the Tubolitos but run 10-20% cheaper. Got them from 365Cycles who's in your neck of the woods I believe.

I just ordered 2 tubes plus a spare and patch kit from BikeInn.com. Their prices are better than ordering direct from Tubolito and they quote in your currency. From what I saw, they seem to have plenty of stock.
Bikeinn.com is one of my favorite sources. They have a great range of bike products, relatively good stock and supply and reasonable shipping costs with 8 to 10 day delivery from Spain or the Netherlands to the US west coat. I just got a good mirror, a pair of SKS RaceBlade fenders, a Basil neoprene downtube/battery cover, a dragon helmet for my grandson and a 48 tooth chain ring with chain guard. $19.80 for shipping, ordered on April 24 and arrived here four days ago. Excellent service.

Bikeinn.com is one of my favorite sources. They have a great range of bike products, relatively good stock and supply and reasonable shipping costs with 8 to 10 day delivery from Spain or the Netherlands to the US west coat. I just got a good mirror, a pair of SKS RaceBlade fenders, a Basil neoprene downtube/battery cover, a dragon helmet for my grandson and a 48 tooth chain ring with chain guard. $19.80 for shipping, ordered on April 24 and arrived here four days ago. Excellent service.
Fascinating, especially in this day and age of news of shipping problems. I've ordered things from China before, with about 2 week delivery, but never Europe, except for an odd book or two. We have become global, haven't we?

Rims drilled for a presta valve will not allow the fatter schrader valve to pass through without some file or drilling work. And once that hole is enlarged, you're not going to be able to go back to presta valves........something for our new riders to remember when they outfit their tire repair kit bag for their road trips! :)
My bike has Ryde Taurus 19 rims. These have a 8.5mm hole for the valve. It came with Presta valve tubes and had a stepped nut to hold the valve in place. Now using Schrader valves for ease of use installing Slime.

they are the best I have found. there may be others. As to stock, just search around the internet and you should be able to find them.

It took me two minutes to find these
I had the weirdest flat today. After installing inserts and slime my valve had 2 cuts in it and they were leaking !
Don't ask me how they got there but I filed the rim hole just in case.
I guess if your destiny is to get a flat it will happen no matter how much you try to prevent it, short of going with solid tires, which will be a cold day in hell for me !

One of the LBS offers “Desert Proofing” tires. They install a liner, thicker thorn proof tube and put in tire sealant. Fairly cheap at about $35 per tire and they do all the work. Several people who have used the Tannus Armour said that it compresses over time and becomes very thin and longer thorns go right through it. Not much better than a thick thorn proof tube. Thicker tubes are way cheaper than Tannus Armour. The “Desert Proofing” seems to be the better and cheaper way to go for me. Still carry a spare tube and/or flat repair kit. Nothing is a 100% against gettng a flat at some point.

A couple of informative vids:

One of the LBS offers “Desert Proofing” tires. They install a liner, thicker thorn proof tube and put in tire sealant. Fairly cheap at about $35 per tire and they do all the work. Several people who have used the Tannus Armour said that it compresses over time and becomes very thin and longer thorns go right through it. Not much better than a thick thorn proof tube. Thicker tubes are way cheaper than Tannus Armour. The “Desert Proofing” seems to be the better and cheaper way to go for me. Still carry a spare tube and/or flat repair kit. Nothing is a 100% against gettng a flat at some point.

A couple of informative vids:

I have heard nothing but great things about Flat Out. Bolton Bikes did a comparison between that and Slime and another thing and Flat Out was clearly the winner, besides working better it lasted WAY longer. I immediately put it on my list to buy.

Last edited:
Back