How to Prevent Flat Tires on Electric Bikes

Found this while researching the airless Tannus. BIG benefit of these Armour inserts is, MUCH MUCH easier to install AND you can run on flats !
Additional information on RUN FLAT and ROLLING RESISTANCE.
The pic below is directly off the Tannus web site :https://tannusamerica.com/pages/tannus-faq.
1620072783195.png

Last edited:
Found this while researching the airless Tannus. BIG benifet of these Armour inserts is, MUCH MUCH easier to install AND you can run on flats !
Yes I saw that you can still ride while flat. That's a nice benefit.

That doesn't look hard at all. I would add slime to the tube as well.
I have Tannus Armor for my gravel bike. Tires are 700 x 40c, the inserts are for tires 35-40c.
They are very easy to install for anyone who can already change their tire themselves. Using baby powder on the insert makes installation much easier as noted in the videos.
Things I've found in my application, YMMV:
They add a pound of extra weight, not a big deal for people who ride very heavy bikes but maybe a consideration for those who have paid for, and value, a lighter ebike.
They add rolling resistance. Again maybe not a big deal for those who ride with power on all the time or already ride with fat slow tires but it made pedaling more difficult with my bike. I ended up using assist where I usually wouldn't and pulling up steep hills (I live on a mountain) I initially thought there was something wrong with my Yamaha PW-SE motor - it felt like the bike lost almost a full assist level with the Tannus on very steep grades.
At least for my size tires and the Tannus to fit the "ride flat" capability is a myth. With the tube fully deflated the rim sits on the sidewall almost flat on the ground - any riding like that would seem likely to destroy both the tire and the rim, I doubt the tire would even stay on the rim.

Having said that I recently reinstalled the Schwalbe G-one tires with the Tannus inserts because I got another (one too many) flats with Continental Gator Skin 32c tires. I don't ride that bike as often now because I have a (couple) bike(s) that I installed Tongsheng TSDZ2 mid drive motor(s) that have taken the place of the Yamaha mid drive for the most part.

I am interested in other's experiences including the bike they are used on, bike weight, tire type and size and whether the bike is ridden mostly or exclusively powered or without assist as much as possible.

I have Tannus Armor for my gravel bike. Tires are 700 x 40c, the inserts are for tires 35-40c.
They are very easy to install for anyone who can already change their tire themselves. Using baby powder on the insert makes installation much easier as noted in the videos.
They add a pound of extra weight, not a big deal for people who ride very heavy bikes but maybe a consideration for those who have paid for, and value, a lighter ebike.
They add rolling resistance. Again maybe not a big deal for those who ride with power on all the time or already ride with fat slow tires but it made pedaling more difficult with my bike. I ended up using assist where I usually wouldn't and pulling up steep hills (I live on a mountain) I initially thought there was something wrong with my Yamaha PW-SE motor - it felt like the bike lost almost a full assist level with the Tannus on very steep grades.
At least for my size tires and the Tannus to fit the "ride flat" capability is a myth. With the tube fully deflated the rim sits on the sidewall almost flat on the ground - any riding like that would seem likely to destroy both the tire and the rim, I doubt the tire would even stay on the rim.

Having said that I recently reinstalled the Schwalbe G-one tires with the Tannus inserts because I got another (one too many) flats with Continental Gator Skin 32c tires. I don't ride that bike as often now because I have a (couple) bike(s) that I installed Tongsheng TSDZ2 mid drive motor(s) that have taken the place of the Yamaha mid drive for the most part.

I am interested in other's experiences including the bike they are used on, bike weight, tire type and size and whether the bike is ridden mostly or exclusively powered or without assist as much as possible.
I’m going to be installing these on my Allant+7 w/SCHWALBE G-Ones. Good to see it looks pretty straight forward. I do need to buy some baby powder, I guess.

Interesting, thanks for the feedback.

Found this while researching the airless Tannus. BIG benefit of these Armour inserts is, MUCH MUCH easier to install AND you can run on flats !
Additional information on RUN FLAT and ROLLING RESISTANCE.
The pic below is directly off the Tannus web site :https://tannusamerica.com/pages/tannus-faq.
View attachment 86433
Another find ! 2in 1 mini pump, lifetime guarantee $19 !

Another find ! 2in 1 mini pump, lifetime guarantee $19 !
When I was using regular tires I gave up on carrying a pump and switched entirely to the cartridge method. Would carry at least two cartridges and the inflator along with a spare tube and tire levers. Worked fine for me.

When I was using regular tires I gave up on carrying a pump and switched entirely to the cartridge method. Would carry at least two cartridges and the inflator along with a spare tube and tire levers. Worked fine for me.
That's what I carry, two cartridges and an adapter, tire irons and spare tube and patch kit.
But I paid $29 just for the co2 adapter and 2 cartridges and there is no control valve, so you have to use the whole cartridge or nothing.
This 2 n 1 pump gives you the option of pump up to 120 psi AND OR cartridge for less money and it's very small.
I may switch due to the versitility and the size is only very slightly larger than co2 only.

As a quick aside, what’s the best bike trunk-baggable presta valve air pump? I can’t seem to find anything other than my Bontrager floor pump that works.

That's what I carry, two cartridges and an adapter, tire irons and spare tube and patch kit.
But I paid $29 just for the co2 adapter and 2 cartridges and there is no control valve, so you have to use the whole cartridge or nothing.
This 2 n 1 pump gives you the option of pump up to 120 psi AND OR cartridge for less money and it's very small.
I may switch due to the versitility and the size is only very slightly larger than co2 only.
Does the pump really work with presta valves?

Does the pump really work with presta valves?
I don't own one, but seriously considering upgrading. Here is what the links says:
SMART VALVE HEAD - Fits both schrader and presta valves in either channel making it a perfect option to carry for any circumstance.

I don't own one, but seriously considering upgrading. Here is what the links says:
SMART VALVE HEAD - Fits both schrader and presta valves in either channel making it a perfect option to carry for any circumstance.
Yeah I’ve go two mini pumps that have both presta/schrader but neither works well at all.

Yeah I’ve go two mini pumps that have both presta/schrader but neither works well at all.
These work very well, but they aren't cheap:

They do have the usual problem of Lezyne pumps tending to unscrew Presta Valve cores. But other than that an awesome pump.

Also: the more expensive ones with a built-in tire pressure gauge generally aren't worth it. At least for me.

Last edited:
Well, took me about an hour of pushing and levering the bead back into the rim but finally got my 27.5 x 1.95-2.50 size Tannus Armor (w/tube) installed in the rear tire. My hands are tired! The ride (just down the street and back) was good with about 25 psi vs my normal 40. Maybe a tad squishy vs normal but I’ll take a longer ride with the battery to truly give it a solid test.

Attachments

• FCD66B02-344F-4C0F-AC3F-C95BED5C49F4.jpeg
    FCD66B02-344F-4C0F-AC3F-C95BED5C49F4.jpeg
    521.6 KB · Views: 199
  • F3D5F0C0-643C-4C98-AA0F-D28EB23D1B6B.jpeg
    F3D5F0C0-643C-4C98-AA0F-D28EB23D1B6B.jpeg
    348.8 KB · Views: 195
Last edited:
Well, took me about an hour of pushing and levering the bead back into the rim but finally got my 27.5 x 1.95-2.50 size Tannus Armor (w/tube) installed in the rear tire. My hands are tired! The ride (just down the street and back) was good with about 25 psi vs my normal 40. Maybe a tad squishy vs normal but I’ll take a longer ride with the battery to truly give it a solid test.
What is the recommended psi range from Tannus for that tire?
Did you use some powder?

What is the recommended psi range from Tannus for that tire?
Did you use some powder?
I did see a Tannus video with a recommendation of 2/3rds of normal. There was powder used the last time the tire and tube were installed so I didn’t add any more.

Inflated it to 25 psi then took on a 16 miler where all went very well. I’m just wondering if I should bother installing one in the front tire as I’ve never had a front flat in my life! How many of you have had front flats?Thoughts?
BECCF4AC-125E-493A-86F9-65DEF47ACBF6.jpeg

Inflated it to 25 psi then took on a 16 miler where all went very well. I’m just wondering if I should bother installing one in the front tire as I’ve never had a front flat in my life! How many of you have had front flats?Thoughts?View attachment 86538
Pretty sure front flats are common, I have had my share. That being said the fronts are easier to fix than the rear especially if you have a hub on there.

BTW seems like you should be able to adjust the psi to get rid of some of the mushiness. I remember now, it was in the FAQ section of their website, (see link in my post with the pic.)under will they compress:

"The armour will compress some after it’s installed depending on the pressure of the tire. The higher the psi the more condensed the Armour will become. If you wish to keep the Armour as thick as possible then maintain a lower psi. You may also deflate your tire if you’re not going to be riding for a longer period. This allows the Armour to rebound back to its original size."

Back