Schwalbe tire question

JohnRC

I have a new Gazelle Ultimate that has Schwalbe Energizer Plus tires on it. From what I have read these are good tires made for E bikes and they have pretty good protection from road hazards.

However, I am finding the ride very harsh even though I have a Kinekt seatpost. I have used this seatpost on several bikes including a Como, a Liv Amiti and a non e bike. It has worked well for all of these, no problems. I like it very much.

When I bought the Gazelle I asked about alternate tires after seeing that the Energizer Plus tires were for an e Bike. From my reading and talking with store people this likely means that the sidewalls of these tires are much stiffer to handle the extra weight and higher speeds.
I am riding at the minimum advised tire pressure of 45 psi.

I was offered the chance to switch to Schwalbe Big Apple tires and am now wondering if they might give me the relief I want from the harsh ride.

Less protection from punctures would be one down side.
What are other pluses and minuses are there?
Thanks.

Last edited:
compared to my marathon plus's the ride is great. but its hard to tell really. if your only running 45 psi and its still bad it may be that the front fork is not good enough. it does not look like much of a suspension fork. fenders limit the tire size too.

You won't know the true value of puncture resistant tires until you have to fix a rear tire flat on an ebike.

I would try adjusting the spring tension on your Kinekt to see if you can ease the stiffness.

You can also look at this product from Redshift:
BLA.jpg

On my bike, even with front suspension & Kinekt seatpost, the shockstop helped with wrist discomfort and also offered a bit of butt relief as well. It allows me to put more pressure on the handlebars and take some weight off the saddle.

are those tires and rims tubeless ready? If they are, set them up tubeless and lower the pressure.

Schwalbe MARATHON ALMOTION HS603 , 50-622 , run tubeless , is a great supple ebike ready tire .
This size is only available in Europe .

You won't know the true value of puncture resistant tires until you have to fix a rear tire flat on an ebike.

I would try adjusting the spring tension on your Kinekt to see if you can ease the stiffness.

You can also look at this product from Redshift:
View attachment 63567

On my bike, even with front suspension & Kinekt seatpost, the shockstop helped with wrist discomfort and also offered a bit of butt relief as well. It allows me to put more pressure on the handlebars and take some weight off the saddle.

I completely agree with 6zfshdb on puncture resistant tires. I have Schwalbe Marathon Plus Puncture resistant tires on both of my ebikes.
Puncture resistant is my single most important priority. Changing a rear flat is not an option for me. One of my bikes is a Trek XM700 commuter
which came with that goofy little spring at the top of the fork. I found the spring nearly useless . Couldn't tell if your Gazelle Ultimate has the same spring ?

I changed the standard Trex fork with the (goofy spring) for a Rock Shox Gold RL and it made a bid difference. I love everything about how the
bike now handles. Should you consider this choice please check with your LBS for technical guidance. I also have the same Kinekt seatpost

I'm so interested to hear more about your comment about 'fixing a rear tire is not an option for me'.
I have just had an exhausting experience with my Gazelle...I have had it for 5 months. Took it in for routine maintenance, the next day
I had a rear flat tire. Took it back in and it turns out the strip of protection on the inside rim (where the spokes attach) didn't cover
one of the spoke holes: the tire blew. The guy put on new tape around the rims, and replaced the tire. Forgot to anchor the valve,
I biked off and 30 min later...I had another flat!! I had to have it taken back in and again...back tire replaced.
I am terrified of another flat! Even tho he 'fixed it, it feels clunky and
uneven when I ride on it. Anyone else had this experience with Gazelle?

I'm so interested to hear more about your comment about 'fixing a rear tire is not an option for me'.
I have just had an exhausting experience with my Gazelle...I have had it for 5 months. Took it in for routine maintenance, the next day
I had a rear flat tire. Took it back in and it turns out the strip of protection on the inside rim (where the spokes attach) didn't cover
one of the spoke holes: the tire blew. The guy put on new tape around the rims, and replaced the tire. Forgot to anchor the valve,
I biked off and 30 min later...I had another flat!! I had to have it taken back in and again...back tire replaced.
I am terrified of another flat! Even tho he 'fixed it, it feels clunky and
uneven when I ride on it. Anyone else had this experience with Gazelle?

Hello Jenniferd, You wrote "I'm so interested to hear more about your comment about 'fixing a rear tire is not an option for me'."
What I meant was figuratively changing/repairing the rear tire on my Trek e-mountain bike would be near impossible because of the bikes
weight and I have a torn rotator cuff in my right shoulder, so lifting is not an option.

I'm really sorry to hear of your return trip to your LBS twice. Schwalbe Energizer Plus are good tires. I have Schwalbe on both of my
bikes and really like them. You'd mentioned your ride now feels clunky and uneven. My guess is the problem is not with the bike, but
perhaps with the way the 'guy' fixed your tire. I'm assuming he replaced the tube ? Perhaps some of the spoke protection tape isn't properly
seated causing the uneven ride.

John

Hi John, thanks for responding. I was thinking maybe rear tires are in general a nightmare to fix! I had a look at the job he did and the ring of reflective tape (on the outside) is supposed to be evenly distributed around the tire, and it isn't (meaning I guess that part of the tire is tucked in too far) which I am guessing is giving me the 'bump' on my ride. Thanks for reassuring me about the tires. After that experience with having it 'fixed' by the guys, I don't really want to go back again right now. Advice on choosing a good mechanic?

Hi John, thanks for responding. I was thinking maybe rear tires are in general a nightmare to fix! I had a look at the job he did and the ring of reflective tape (on the outside) is supposed to be evenly distributed around the tire, and it isn't (meaning I guess that part of the tire is tucked in too far) which I am guessing is giving me the 'bump' on my ride. Thanks for reassuring me about the tires. After that experience with having it 'fixed' by the guys, I don't really want to go back again right now. Advice on choosing a good mechanic?

Hi Jenniferd,

Wow !! The reflective strip Schwalbe molds into the sidewall of their tires absolutely must be circular and even in relationship to the rim.
This is so incredibly basic. You are correct ! I cannot believe the shop sent you on your way with the tire mounted as you mentioned.
Is the place you took your bike for a tuneup and flat fixing a traditional bike shop ? Are they a Gazelle dealer ? Did you buy your bike from
the same shop. Lastly is it possible to take a picture of the rear tire sidewall with the reflective ring on the side wall. ?
Thanks,
John

Hi John...ok I'm glad I mentioned that. It is Reckless Bikes in Vancouver (on hornby street), not sure what to think, if I am being treated badly or they are not good technicians. I am not sure I have the energy to deal with them again. Even tho it is under warranty. I took some pictures, you can see where the silver strip moves quite far out towards the bottom. Is this the problem? Happy for input!

Attachments

• IMG_4192.JPG
    IMG_4192.JPG
    261.1 KB · Views: 409
  • IMG_4194.JPG
    IMG_4194.JPG
    269.3 KB · Views: 386
FWIW, the reflective stripes on my Schwalbe Marathon Plus tires look the same way. In my case, the stripe wasn't evenly applied to the tire. the measurement from the bead to the stripe isn't consistent. I just assumed it was a manufacturing defect. This may or may not be the case with your tires though. The bead should definitely be evenly seated to the rim. It's best to get it checked out.

Hi John...ok I'm glad I mentioned that. It is Reckless Bikes in Vancouver (on hornby street), not sure what to think, if I am being treated badly or they are not good technicians. I am not sure I have the energy to deal with them again. Even tho it is under warranty. I took some pictures, you can see where the silver strip moves quite far out towards the bottom. Is this the problem? Happy for input!

Hi Jenniferd, I stand corrected. The reflective strip is not molded into the sidewall, but applied to it. I just checked the reflective strip
one of my Schwalbe Marathon Plus tires and it isn't perfect, but it's not 'off' nearly as much as yours. This must be very frustrating, but what
you asking for is tire/rim repair 101. Not Rocket Science. What to do ?

I'd continue dealing with the shop, but I'd insist on working with the shop Service Manager. I'm assuming the bumpy ride is very apparent
and no one can say " I don't feel anything " If you do return to the shop I'd absolutely require the Service Manger to test ride the bike prior
to any work being done while you are in the store. After the test ride it's all on them to repair. Lastly the bike does not leave the shop until you
test ride it and approve.

Did you purchase your Gazelle from this shop ?

Hi John, yes bought it from the guy at the shop...Thanks for the advice. Yes this is quite frustrating in a repair 101 kind of way, right?...I did test ride before the 2nd flat, not realizing he didn't/forgot to/missed securing the valve to the bike, so the second flat happened b/c of pinching. I wonder how much these guys get paid. Taking it back in next week... I'll try to make sure it's good before I go, I hope I don't miss anything.

Hi John, yes bought it from the guy at the shop...Thanks for the advice. Yes this is quite frustrating in a repair 101 kind of way, right?...I did test ride before the 2nd flat, not realizing he didn't/forgot to/missed securing the valve to the bike, so the second flat happened b/c of pinching. I wonder how much these guys get paid. Taking it back in next week... I'll try to make sure it's good before I go, I hope I don't miss anything.
Hi, Hopefully they are treating you with respect and want to correct the problem. After all you're not riding a Huffy . Your Gazelle Ultimate is a top shelf bike and is really stunning !
Should you get some push back from the shop you might consider letting them know you're going to get the Gazelle Rep involved, even though the problem is not specific
to the Gazelle. Sometimes just mentioning the Rep of a higher end e-bike can get the shops 'attention'. : ) I'm certain Gazelle wants you happy. Please check in and let use
know how this all works out.

Good luck,
John

Hi Jenniferd,
This is quite a common problem
The best fix I find is to let about 3/4 of the tyre pressure out
Get a spray bottle with a mix of very soapy dishwashing solution and water
Give the entire tyre bead area where it contacts the rim a good flooding with the soapy solution on both sides of the tyre
Pump up the tyre and the bead should then seat into the rim
When it seats you may hear a click sound
If not, repeat process
If you find it’s not seating correctly after a few tries, inflate the tyre to the max recommended pressure and go for a ride and it will help it seat into position
Good luck

Last edited:
Yeah the SCHWALBE reflective sidewalk and logo on my G-Ones are basically stickers. My sidewall stripe is good and evenly applied but the logo stickers are getting pretty torn up already. That’s ok by me as long as the reflective sideway stays good and visible. I used the flash on my phone to take this picture which shows how well the reflective tape shows up, even in full daylight!
7FC57D04-881C-4575-8CFF-70E02BDECF15.jpeg

"After all you aren't riding a Huffy"...that's great.. thanks John
I will try the soapy water approach this weekend and see if it fixes..that's a helpful tip, thank you! if it doesn't work am taking it in next week.
Today the securing bolt fell off my front fender...sigh...and it is raining out. What kind of week is this? a minor repair I think I can handle.
This has been helpful and supportive, and I feel better. I have never posted on a forum before, so thank you so much. Impressive reflective sidewalls!

Yeah the SCHWALBE reflective sidewalk and logo on my G-Ones are basically stickers. My sidewall stripe is good and evenly applied but the logo stickers are getting pretty torn up already. That’s ok by me as long as the reflective sideway stays good and visible. I used the flash on my phone to take this picture which shows how well the reflective tape shows up, even in full daylight!View attachment 69468
Here's another solution.: add reflective stripes to your rims... they are easy to apply and last forever. ;)
I did this with a few of my road bikes back in the day... the stripe is precut and available in a range of sizes.

Back