Say Hello To Storm

One thing I haven't seen anyone mention is, it appears the control lever housings might have power cutoffs when you pull the brakes. This would be a good if I can ever get my wife to ride the thing. Every time she's ever tried to ride a powered bike of any kind, she's promptly, and immediately run straight into whatever immovable barrier that came first in her path. The fence, the side of our car, the bushes, ect.

I care about the space obviously and don't want to attack someone who is making an honest effort to deliver something new and special. I don't know the guys and haven't seen the bike (or the prototype... which may be very different from the final version). As @biknut pointed out, I was critical of weight and battery and indeed, normally I skim over battery but this seemed like a good education opportunity for people new to ebikes, to help explain why one may cost more than another.

At the end of the day, if the Storm ends up being delivered in one year, weighs ~70 lbs and has a true range of 15 to 25 but only costs ~$700 (including shipping) that's not terrible... but it's also not "the most affordable ebike ever" and if there's no warranty support, that's kind of a bummer.

With all of the extra money that these guys are making (hopefully, if their unit price is dropping to ~$400 and they can get each unit shipped inexpensively) these guys can actually improve aspects of the product, hire some team members to help with logistics and turn this into a win. It's too soon to say but I must admit, this piece about how Indiegogo works has me a little concerned that everyone could lose out: http://wp.josh.com/2014/01/21/read-this-before-you-contribute-to-an-indiegogo-campaign/

Indiegogo seems to have made a lot of changes since that post a year ago:

February 20, 2014: We released a new version of the Terms of Use with major revisions to the document in its entirety.

May 21, 2014: We released a new version of the Terms of Use with updates to the Prohibited Perks, Community Guidelines, Contact Us, and general Terms of Use sections.

July 9, 2014: We released a new version of the Terms of Use with major revisions to the document in its entirety.

August 7, 2014: We revised the "Prohibited Perks" section to clarify alcohol related vouchers and air transportation as Perks, and made other conforming changes.

October 14, 2014: We released a new version of the Terms of Use with major revisions to the document in its entirety.

December 15, 2014: We released a new version of the Terms of Use with major revisions to the document in its entirety.

Make no mistake about it: There is risk in crowd funding. I have contributed to two Kickstarter campaigns and haven't gotten the products yet. The bets were small, but so far it is safe to say I have nothing for my investment. Recently, I contributed to the Coolest Cooler campaign on Kickstarter. If you think the Storm is catching on think again. The Coolest Cooler's goal was $50,000. They sold/raised $13,000,000 and were all over the net and TV.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ryangrepper/coolest-cooler-21st-century-cooler-thats-actually
I haven't gotten the product yet, but my guess is that I will and when I do, it will be even better than the original prototypes: but there is no guarantee of the quality or that I will ever see the Coolest Cooler!

Most of these things appear to be an idea with a prototype rather than a company. The Storm is no different. I hope we don't all get burned, but as Court warns, it could happen. Like so many have said, I too think they are on to something. When you spend thousands for a bike, you expect more and you generally get more. This bike could be delivered for under $600. I have been looking at fat bikes for awhile. You have to admit, Storm looks kick ass, it's simple and if you don't already own an e bike you will think it is amazing because e bikes ARE amazing. If you have an e bike and the Storm even approaches what they say it will do, you will be amazed as well since it is so well priced with top notch styling and utility.

Imagine this: The Storms of this new world are actually good products and young entrepreneurs figure out customer support and use tools like crowd funding. A few thousand sold and a few thousand of them are sitting in Amazon distribution centers around the country or world........and with a click of an Amazon Prime Button, you have it delivered to your house in a day or two! Now that's a game changer. True there are lots of cheap e bikes on Amazon, but it is still early days for e bikes and the Storm looks the business.

It could be just the thing to bring awareness to the segment as Court points out and if it is a decent piece that is reliable. I think it already is disruptive to the point that it could be a game changer. With a lot of help from Court, who is a very special man who loves the segment, the outdoors and the environment, many of us have become educated buyers of e bikes. Most of us know that there is a huge markup in e bikes and that the distributers lean hard on LBS that try to discount the product. They are hard to buy and they fight online buying with lack of information about their products. Don't you think that the manufacturers should be doing You Tube videos explaining their products like Court and Pete do? But they don't. They are trying to protect the LBS and missing the point altogether.

Kudos to Court on his light speed response to this crowd funding project. I am anxious to read posts from members who are manufacturers, distributors or LBS's. Keep in mind that most of the world has never even seen an e bike. Most have never heard of them. I know, I ride one here in the East and I have rock star status or people think I am nuts for spending $3,000 on a bike with a battery. Imagine a tricked out, electrified neon yellow and green fat bike with a silent motor on the beach.....for $600 bucks. I spent more than that for my wife's Electra Townie and it's just a run of the mill bike!

It's a gamble, but my guess is it shows up late summer and it is well worth the money!

Make no mistake about it: There is risk in crowd funding. I have contributed to two Kickstarter campaigns and haven't gotten the products yet. The bets were small, but so far it is safe to say I have nothing for my investment. Recently, I contributed to the Coolest Cooler campaign on Kickstarter. If you think the Storm is catching on think again. The Coolest Cooler's goal was $50,000. They sold/raised $13,000,000 and were all over the net and TV.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ryangrepper/coolest-cooler-21st-century-cooler-thats-actually
I haven't gotten the product yet, but my guess is that I will and when I do, it will be even better than the original prototypes: but there is no guarantee of the quality or that I will ever see the Coolest Cooler!

Most of these things appear to be an idea with a prototype rather than a company. The Storm is no different. I hope we don't all get burned, but as Court warns, it could happen. Like so many have said, I too think they are on to something. When you spend thousands for a bike, you expect more and you generally get more. This bike could be delivered for under $600. I have been looking at fat bikes for awhile. You have to admit, Storm looks kick ass, it's simple and if you don't already own an e bike you will think it is amazing because e bikes ARE amazing. If you have an e bike and the Storm even approaches what they say it will do, you will be amazed as well since it is so well priced with top notch styling and utility.

Imagine this: The Storms of this new world are actually good products and young entrepreneurs figure out customer support and use tools like crowd funding. A few thousand sold and a few thousand of them are sitting in Amazon distribution centers around the country or world........and with a click of an Amazon Prime Button, you have it delivered to your house in a day or two! Now that's a game changer. True there are lots of cheap e bikes on Amazon, but it is still early days for e bikes and the Storm looks the business.

It could be just the thing to bring awareness to the segment as Court points out and if it is a decent piece that is reliable. I think it already is disruptive to the point that it could be a game changer. With a lot of help from Court, who is a very special man who loves the segment, the outdoors and the environment, many of us have become educated buyers of e bikes. Most of us know that there is a huge markup in e bikes and that the distributers lean hard on LBS that try to discount the product. They are hard to buy and they fight online buying with lack of information about their products. Don't you think that the manufacturers should be doing You Tube videos explaining their products like Court and Pete do? But they don't. They are trying to protect the LBS and missing the point altogether.

Kudos to Court on his light speed response to this crowd funding project. I am anxious to read posts from members who are manufacturers, distributors or LBS's. Keep in mind that most of the world has never even seen an e bike. Most have never heard of them. I know, I ride one here in the East and I have rock star status or people think I am nuts for spending $3,000 on a bike with a battery. Imagine a tricked out, electrified neon yellow and green fat bike with a silent motor on the beach.....for $600 bucks. I spent more than that for my wife's Electra Townie and it's just a run of the mill bike!

It's a gamble, but my guess is it shows up late summer and it is well worth the money!

It could be just the thing to bring awareness to the segment as Court points out and if it is a decent piece that is reliable. I think it already is disruptive to the point that it could be a game changer. With a lot of help from Court, who is a very special man who loves the segment, the outdoors and the environment, many of us have become educated buyers of e bikes. Most of us know that there is a huge markup in e bikes and that the distributers lean hard on LBS that try to discount the product. They are hard to buy and they fight online buying with lack of information about their products. Don't you think that the manufacturers should be doing You Tube videos explaining their products like Court and Pete do?

The LBS is a low volume model. People may not have heard of RVW, but they now sell a lot of RV's and trailers directly. They rely on local dealers and service centers for warranty work. Their prices are based on a couple of thousands in markups versus double or triple that. Things have to change to lower the markup, for sure.

It's a question of what the markup will end up being, and who will supply the product, that final retail seller.

I read a lot of stuff from the local cyclists, 98% pedal pushers. The bike routes, underpasses, bridges, are all multi use. They have grade requirements so kids can get up the hills, and they have to mix pedestrians and cyclists. Ebikes need to figure out how they fit into this.

I will bet the Storm bike will be OK. I will bet the battery will be troublesome, maybe to the point where it sinks the thing. I'd be happy if they beat the odds.

There is enormous battery capacity coming online. A lot of this is distributed power, not transport. I like everyone's chances better in 2-3 years, but I think your analysis could still be pretty close to the mark.

You should have a place on the site to accept donations regardless. I can't imagine the ads pay for everything you sink into this project, even if you willing give your time free.
Thanks for your empathy Matthew, I do appreciate the support and am really throwing myself at ebikes and the people who are interested in them to try and make an honest difference in the space. Starting out, I made very little money and these days... while I have gained several prominent advertisers, some drop off unexpectedly and I tend to reinvest the money I make in upgrading the site, more travel, better camera equipment etc. If you'd like to donate to the "help buy Court's Indiegogo Storm fund" you can use my Patreon page (just set this up the other day). The idea is that each time I do a review, people will donate a little bit and over time I could actually drop sponsors and just work for the people :D or if you'd like you can use PayPal.
Thanks again for thinking of me...

Where I think Ralph is really nailing it is when says the looks are Kick ass. I totally agree. If I ride this bike down the Katy trail, I know it will be a show stopper. Much the same as my Bomber, but without the mortgage. Normal pedestrian looking eBikes just don't get much attention there.

That's where I think the Storm's magic really lies. In the looks. That's the reason for this incredible Storm going on. This bike has pizazz. Of course the price is equally big, but price alone never got it done before.

...If you'd like to donate to the "help buy Court's Indiegogo Storm fund" you can use my Patreon page (just set this up the other day). The idea is that each time I do a review, people will donate a little bit and over time I could actually drop sponsors and just work for the people :D or if you'd like you can use PayPal.
There are a LOT of videos on this site. I think I'll just start out with a one time PayPal donation. Not sure how long I'll stay interested in - SQUIRREL!

Where I think Ralph is really nailing it is when says the looks are Kick ass. I totally agree. If I ride this bike down the Katy trail, I know it will be a show stopper. Much the same as my Bomber, but without the mortgage. Normal pedestrian looking eBikes just don't get much attention there.

That's where I think the Storm's magic really lies. In the looks. That's the reason for this incredible Storm going on. This bike has pizazz. Of course the price is equally big, but price alone never got it done before.
The circus color scheme and big yellow box in the triangle make this look like Cookie the Clown had sex with a Tonka truck and the Storm was the baby.

I think the primary appeal is the price point. Its got the cool fat bike look but the default color scheme is not cool at all IMO. Looks are subjective though so to each their own. It will definitely get attention.

Was interviewed and quoted for a new story on Yahoo! about the Storm: https://www.yahoo.com/tech/a-500-ebike-not-so-fast-110086504619.html

Heart sinking: "Unlike Kickstarter, which doesn’t collect your money until after a funding goal has been met, and gives funders an opportunity to cancel their pledges if they change their mind, Indiegogo charges credit cards or Paypal accounts immediately once people make a contribution. There’s no changing your mind and getting money back. "

That's pretty interesting isn't it. The Storm company seems to be thumbing their nose at Prodeco., but after this report I would think they'll probably have to respond in some way. Maybe not though, but I probably would if it was me.

This is the third eBike company I've heard making disparaging remarks about Storm, and I'll be surprised if there's not more. This is a fight for survival, and if Storm succeeds it's going to upset a lot of apple carts.

Court, I have a question for you. Obviously you've talked to Prodeco. What about Yahoo? Is Prodeco one of your sponsors? If so does Yahoo know they sponsor you, and further did you mention to Yahoo that you've never actually touched a Storm bike, and your comments are all just opinions ? Cause if someone didn't know better it kind of looks like you're trying pretty hard to help Prodeco torpedo Storm's operation.

You'd be well advised to be careful what you say. If this turns into a court battle you don't get dragged into it.
Actually, ProdecoTech has asked me about advertising in the past (like early last year) but the slots were all full (I try not to do to many ads so the site can load quickly). The way banners work on EBR is usually by invitation, I only invite companies that have great scoring bikes so that the messaging on the site reflects the content of my reviews. I haven't been in touch with ProdecoTech for at least a month but did email them today to say that I had referenced the comment they made on the Indiegogo campaign (that's how I heard about the whole Storm copyright thing to begin with as noted in the video I posted last night). I haven't heard back from ProdecoTech as of this moment.

I don't feel like other ebike companies are thumbing their noses up at Storm, there have actually been many disputes over naming in the past (way before Storm) and they were all resolved. I'm not at liberty to discuss what happened but you may notice that ProdecoTech themselves actually used to go by Prodeco until about a year and a half ago. I'd be interested to hear what the other two companies you referenced in your comment that have been "making disparaging remarks" about Storm? The past couple of days have been a whirlwind for me so maybe I missed something?

I understand that you may feel a bit insecure about your investment in Storm at this point @biknut, I've also got $500 in the game ;) but you're making some assumptions and assertions here that don't make me feel very good. Dan Tynan from Yahoo! reached out to me via phone yesterday to ask a few questions and then confirmed some quotes with me this morning before running the story... I decided not to mention anything until it went live out of respect for him and anyone else being interviewed. Dan didn't ask about sponsors but I label all of the advertisers on EBR very clearly and right now that includes the Accell Group, BionX, Pedego and Felt as well as several minor advertisers who are promoting their bikes in respective categories such as e-Joe on the affordable category (this is clearly labeled with the "promoted listing" link there). There are several shops who also pay a monthly listing fee to me and Pete Prebus of Electric Bike Report for a geo-targeted shop ad. When you said "Obviously you've talked to Prodeco" it made me feel like you've got a suspicious attitude about me and I'd like to help address any concerns you might have.

What I'm trying to do is be transparent, available and diligent. I am careful of what I say... or rather, open and honest about what I say. I do not want to be dragged into a court battle but I if I could be of assistance as an expert witness I'd be much obliged to help :)

That's pretty interesting isn't it. The Storm company seems to be thumbing their nose at Prodeco., but after this report I would think they'll probably have to respond in some way. Maybe not though, but I probably would if it was me.

This is the third eBike company I've heard making disparaging remarks about Storm, and I'll be surprised if there's not more. This is a fight for survival, and if Storm succeeds it's going to upset a lot of apple carts.

Court, I have a question for you. Obviously you've talked to Prodeco. What about Yahoo? Is Prodeco one of your sponsors? If so does Yahoo know they sponsor you, and further did you mention to Yahoo that you've never actually touched a Storm bike, and your comments are all just opinions ? Cause if someone didn't know better it kind of looks like you're trying pretty hard to help Prodeco torpedo Storm's operation.

You'd be well advised to be careful what you say. If this turns into a court battle you don't get dragged into it.

Your last statement is completely out of line.

I am still completely missing why you think Court is trying torpedo anything. In his video and written responses he is simply pointing out obvious things about the campaign, features of the bikes from the pictures and/or description, and relating this to his previous eBike experience. Based on the shear number of his reviews, I would consider him more of an expert than all of us combined. Point it, his opinions and points are valid.

It seems to me that you are so infatuated with this bike that you refuse to believe there is anything that can be wrong with it. You are defending it at every chance, believing that just because it has large sales and huge campaign it has to be a hit. Choosing only the point out the articles that praise it features and completely ignoring articles that cast it in a negative light when you yourself know nothing more than the rest of us. In the end, it may be a flaming POS, it may be a total scam, it may be lie but you dont seem to even want to consider that. This very well could be a bunch of lemmings following each other right off a cliff. There is NOTHING to prove otherwise until a single bike is delivered. The point is, NONE OF KNOW what this thing is going to be so each of us are entitled to form opinions good or bad based on what is being dealt to us now. There is no legal repercussions to any of this.

Last edited:
Poor Court. I was telling him this morning he was too hard on Prodeco's designs, while the company tries to make a value bike. In the end, he has to have opinions about this stuff. I guess he can't be beholden to Prodeco and too hard on them. That's sort of the journalist's lot, and I grew up around journos.

I don't think a trademark case has anything to do with anything but whether someone registered a name and whether, under the law, someone is infringing it. Very dry stuff. It's 'cease and desist' or not. It is rather ironic that Prodeco is in a trademark dispute. Storm will probably be "Storm Tech" or something.

In the end we should all give Court all the support we can. I think Indiegogo has tightened the rules. I believe they are contractually bound, now, to deliver the 'perks'. But any outfit that refers to products as 'perks' has lost me. And if you click the little question mark by "Flexible Funding' you'll see that means they are good to go at any point.

This is the modern world. Let's all learn a lot from this, I guess.

Just in from the Storm Campaign: So far, they have their act together big time....

Here’s an update for you from the ‘Storm Electric Bike’ team:

Hi Everyone,

We have compiled a list of your top questions and comments so that we could provide a full update on everything.

First, we wanted to start with how we got here and where we plan to go! Then answer those FAQ's from all of you.

How It All Started

Storm Sondors is a humble man with much success in his life that not many know about… Storm lives a simple life, enjoys the outdoors, the ocean, traveling but an off the grid in a sense lifestyle. Not much for computers or cell phones…just the great outdoors.

20150204164236-storm_publicity_2.jpg

Storm invented the bike after he suffered an accident that temporarily limited his mobility that affected his outdoors/ beach way of life.

Being an avid surfer since he was a child, Storm still finds the time to surf regularly. During the period of his immobility, Storm needed a way to get down to the beach without complicating his injury. As it turns out, Storm’s professional background includes industrial design and lived in Hong Kong for years.

Did you know, many of those little McDonald's toys that you used to get in your Happy Meal were designed and prototyped by Storm for years?

Storm developed the idea of the eBike to get him back to the ocean and into the water by sourcing the needed items to make it for himself through his extensive network of manufacturers in Asia and throughout the world.

Once Storm had built his bike, (the one you see in the video) people quickly took notice. More and more people started asking him to build one for them, get the part for them… It is an interesting story that finds us here.

With a name like Storm Sondors, it only seemed right to name the bike after him.

Where We Plan to go

With the amazing outpouring of support over the past few days, we now have the opportunity to do some great things.

Charity- We would like to align ourselves with a few charities that help people get to and from where they need to go. Do you guys have any ideas of some great ones? Possibly a Veteran’s organization, as we have had many comments about how the eBike could help them out.

Demo Day- For any of you that live in the Southern California region, we would like to set up a demo day. See the Storm eBike in action for yourself! Possible locations could be San Diego, Santa Monica and Santa Barbara.

The big thing is that they just added a FAQ section at the very bottom of the main indiegogo page. They have answered my burning question of "Why is everyone standing on the bike!!" Thank you Storm team. I can sleep tonight.

Why is everybody stand-up riding on the bike in the video?

Those are action shots and we wanted to convey how exhilarating the ride is! Check out TechCrunch's review video for video with someone sitting down on it.

Gus, you are right. I thought I had it all. The Q and A are very detailed on the website. I wondered about everyone standing as well.

So Indiegogo is the big winner here.. They collect 4% of the campaign, which will amount to .04*$2.2M, or around $90,000.. That will keep the servers and the RedBull coming for awhile. Plus a huge amount of awareness.. I mean who ever heard of this website before?

And the two fellas responsible for the marketing campaign are sure to be busy.. Put that in their book!

The short end of the stick? The people who will have to work out all the liability and warranty issues.. These are complex and expensive... And delivery of the first bikes only 3 months away? yeah, right!

And unless they've had a working prototype for awhile they will need one to work out all the infant mortality issues. Then the fun begins.

I'm sorry Court, I don't mean to be accusing of you. Please forgive me. I do believe you're honestly trying to serve the eBike community, and do your best to promote it. I appreciate the trouble you've gone to, to give us this little place in the virtual world where we can all get together and talk about one of our favorite things, eBikes.
No worries @biknut, I'm semi-under the weather right now and this whole thing has been an emotional roller coaster. I have spoken with quite a few high level people in the last 24 hours... I put myself out there with this video and I'm trying to help but I also don't want to be a tool if this campaign turns out to be fraudulent (there have been others on Indiegogo which have). I put my $500 out there as a sacrifice to report on this product but don't want that to be perceived as a vote of confidence. My feelings are mixed and I appreciate you also acknowledging that you don't know or that you might have made a misstep. No hurt feelings here, whether there are scams or deceptive marketing afoot, that's not what EBR or I am about.

Back