Say Hello To Storm

Matthew don't worry about it. Unless you've ridden a fat bike,esp a cheap one, and liked it , you've made the right choice. Will say that any electric bike in that price range will have its share of problems.

I rode a Jamis fat bike on the pavement and hated it. On sand it might be cool. Very bouncy and difficult to steer. Forget about pedaling for speed
I love my fat bike!!!

Back on topic:
I wonder if the people beyond this campaign can't help but feel this is a runaway freight train due to the enormous popularity this has gotten. I mean making money is great but they have got to feel the pressure around this now. Their original goal was what? $75k? Now approaching almost 2 million, this is a totally new ball game. This amount of sales volume will require a whole different infrastructure to support. Even if they have already paired with a factory in China that can actually turn around this many bikes on time, the logistics of shipping all these bikes, manufacturing issues that are bound to arise, and answering pre-sale questions has got to be enormous. Not to mention, all the customer support that is necessary once it's out in the field. I hope they have the staff, experience, and business savvy to follow this thing through so it's not a total disaster come May.

I'm no expert though. I just watch a lot of Shark Tank :D

I love my fat bike!!!

Back on topic:
I wonder if the people beyond this campaign can't help but feel this is a runaway freight train due to the enormous popularity this has gotten. I mean making money is great but they have got to feel the pressure around this now. Their original goal was what? $75k? Now approaching almost 2 million, this is a totally new ball game. This amount of sales volume will require a whole different infrastructure to support. Even if they have already paired with a factory in China that can actually turn around this many bikes on time, the logistics of shipping all these bikes, manufacturing issues that are bound to arise, and answering pre-sale questions has got to be enormous. Not to mention, all the customer support that is necessary once it's out in the field. I hope they have the staff, experience, and business savvy to follow this thing through so it's not a total disaster come May.

I'm no expert though. I just watch a lot of Shark Tank :D

Well it's a fantastic problem that just about any ambitious startup entrepenuer would love to have.. $2M and it is all sold.. I actually think their problems will be easier to solve, if they are smart project managers.. Now if they're just a bunch a guys with a great idea and no managing/manufacturing/customer support experience, they had better hire some.

What I like about this project is that they are not creating any new technology like the FlyKly.. It's all off the shelf parts and nobody should be expecting too much performance for $500. So they should have tremendous leverage with suppliers and manufacturers... They just need to have enough gas left in the tank for customer support and whatever warranty they come up with.. So what is the warranty? LOL

Last edited:
I have a Dash and love it. I live on an island in Florida and while I have driven my Dash on the hard pack beach at low tide, the constant crunch of the breaking shells that might flatten my tires and worries about the salt on my investment is a concern.

After reading the posts here on EBR, I agree it is not the best product out there and it may not even be as advertised, but is it is a cool looking fat tired ebike that for occasional rides up and down the beach makes a lot of sense. That is unless it is a complete blowout and a piece of crap. Having said that, for under $700 it could be just the ticket. It has been difficult for me to wrap my head around a $3,000 to $7,000 fat tire bike for the beach especially with no dealers nearby. Every time I decide on a bike, I scratch my head and come to my senses. Consequently, I don't have a purpose built beach bike.

JoePah may be right that I will hate a fat tire beach bike, but he helped seal the deal for me on this one. I just ordered the Storm. If it ever ships and actually works it should do the job for occasional use and maybe more. If I hate it and it was a bad idea, maybe I can get rid of it and not take a big hit. If not, I will give it to the Boys and Girls Club or someone that will love it. One thing is for sure: the word is out that you can source these things in China and they are cheap as hell. At a price they are indeed throw aways...like Court says...the price of a battery. In the mean time, I can tick off the box about buying a fat bike in bright yellow with orange rims. Seems like a good enough gamble. My guess is having sold thousands of these things, they have enough buying leverage to deliver a decent package, albeit with no support, but I am ok with that! It also occurs to me that if Court is right and it is underpowered and suffers from insufficient power, etc., I still have the advantage of a test platform for very little investment to help me decide if I want to make a premium buy in the future.

Hey guys! I just made this video for anyone who is considering purchasing the Storm on Indiegogo. I've backed the project myself and will report in with a full review as the unit arrives. Please pass this along to anyone you know who is considering the bike as it may help them weigh the pros/cons.

Hey guys! I just made this video for anyone who is considering purchasing the Storm on Indiegogo. I've backed the project myself and will report in with a full review as the unit arrives. Please pass this along to anyone you know who is considering the bike as it may help them weigh the pros/cons.

Awesome video for those of us that are already committed to OD'ing on the subject, but at over 18 minutes it takes longer to watch than a rerun of Seinfeld. I doubt many of the curious will invest the time. I would suggest maybe boiling it down to a roughly three minute balance of enthusiastic and skeptical points, so as not to come off as a hater and have the skeptical points ignored and argued by the faithful (and the invested). Don't want the video to overtake the bike as the subject of conversation.

Also, this site has been far and away the most helpful resource I have found since I started researching electric bikes a few weeks ago. It's likely I've already saved hundreds or thousands of dollars I might have spent if I had just unwittingly wandered into a bike shop and bought the first e-bike I saw. I'm very much willing to chip in to offset the cost of Court's Storm. This is clearly something he is buying to further the content of the site and help all of us who benefit from it. It would only take 20 or 30 of us chipping in $25 to cover the bike and shipping.

Good video Court! Helps bring some logic/sanity to everyone that may get caught up in the hype of this thing and buy on impulse.

I'm a bit concerned this campaign is telling everyone this is the 'Tesla of Bicycles' which would may make people not familiar with eBikes believe this is an elite caliber eBike, which it clearly is not. If its a turd, and gets about 5 miles at full throttle and is completely underpowered for a fat bike application all the naysayers, eBike haters, and uninformed are going to be screaming across all social media that eBikes suck.

I hope buyers keep their expectations in check and this is a home run for the eBike movement in the US and not turn into something like the smoke belching diesels of the 1980's where manufacturers spent years trying to re-convince buyers that diesels are actually really good engines.

Last edited:
Prodeco days says this campaign is not related to them, but I bet they wish it was LOL

I discussed this to some friends, and the general consensus is Prodeco will have to suck it, because the guy is not copying their name, he's using his own name. It's possible he could make Prodeco pay him to use his name, but I don't know about that.

I sort of doubt it will be an issue regardless, because a name change wouldn't be a deal breaker.
.?
Prodeco trademarked the name Storm for an ebike. Not sure that having the first name Storm indemnifies someone from trademark law. We'll see.

Last edited:

Great video.
Someone gotta start the Affordable Ebike Act :) or CourtCare for Ebikes :)
Well, you covered a lot of good points. Enjoyed watching it.

.?
Prodeco trademarked the name Storm for an ebike. Not sure that having the last name Storm indemnifies someone from trademark law. We'll see.
It's just a source of question right now, kind of like the 350 watt geared 8Fun drive shown in some of the pictures and videos vs. what is listed in the specs as a 380 watt direct drive (at one point they even list the motor as 380 watt hours... sloppy, that would be a measure of the battery capacity).

I noticed that Tech Crunch did a test ride with one of the founders, Storm Sonders, and they promote the bike as "the most affordable electric bike ever built" and that makes me kind of sad because it just ins't true in any way (as we've seen from the Alibaba website example). Maybe it's the most affordable electric bike launched through a crowdfunding website? Maybe it's the most affordable electric fat bike delivered in the US if you get it during the six day sale... but that's not what they are saying and it's misleading. I feel like a lot of the points they make are misleading and I feel like that erodes the already good value of the Storm and other ebikes.

Here's the Tech Crunch ride test of the Storm. It's much shorter than my discussion as @Matthew Kreger called out. Note that he says the range is 20 to 25 miles here vs. the 30 to 50 on their campaign. I wish the Tech Crunch editor would have ackwnowledged that the bike will cost more than $499 with shipping and asked about warranty. In my video I was trying really hard to present a balanced perspective and educate people (on limited resources, not actually having the bike or a point of contact at Storm), I realize the video isn't perfect and there is so much I wish I had said as I was editing it... I had to go for speed given the limited time that this campaign has before the six day window is up. I feel like I got 70% of my point across and hopefully introduced some people to a new way of viewing the bike and a new resource for embracing ebikes long term... EBR and this forum with you guys :)

I get those cookie ads 24/7 from NYCE Wheels, Evelo, Fezzari and Bikes Direct, etc. It's good to know that Storm is putting that $2 million where it counts, into marketing!:D

It's good to be king, whatever it pays.

It's good to be king, if just for a while
To be there in velvet, yeah, to give 'em a smile
It's good to get high and never come down
It's good to be king of your own little town

Yeah, the world would swing if I were king
Can I help it if I still dream time to time

It's good to be king and have your own way
Get a feeling of peace at the end of the day
And when your bulldog barks and your canary sings
You're out there with winners, it's good to be king

Yeah I'll be king when dogs get wings
Can I help it if I still dream time to time

It's good to be king and have your own world
It helps to make friends, it's good to meet girls
A sweet little queen who can't run away
It's good to be king, whatever it pays

Tom Petty

Was reading the comments on the indiegogo storm page. Some people have very high expectations.

In any case this will make a nice term study for an MBA student paper.

Feeling kind of foolish for spending $700 to restore my old track bike to a single speed racer. No motor!

I think Court's Video smells of a hit piece. To be fair, Court is often negative about a lot of bikes in his video's, so I give him the benefit of doubt as this just being his nature, but most of his criticism seems a little premature, and some is rather suspicious.

It seems a little disingenuous to be recommending people buy a different bike than a Storm when you haven't actually ever tested one.

I don't think you should be so critical of the battery. You can't find out who makes the cells in 90% of eBike battery's. My bike cost $10,000 and I'll no one knows who makes the battery, and the factory keeps it a closely guarded secret. They won't even tell you the C rating. Turns out it's a good battery though. It's not fair to insinuate this bike's battery is made from the lowest grade battery cells with no evidence.

Range is always a hot button issue. Manufacturers are all over the place in their claims without actually lying. Seldom to they tell you at what speed you have to ride to get the range they claim. The 50 mile range claim is obviously a best case scenario, but you don't seem to mention that. In the latest video Storm Sondors clearly states when ask, that you can expect 20 to 25 miles range with light pedaling. 20 miles is about average for most factory eBikes according the people that I've talked to at my local eBike shop.

I don't think implying there's some kind of deception about the motor is fair, just because in the prototype video it appears to be one size, and later it appears smaller. They've claimed from the start it's a 350w motor.

There is a couple of areas where I think Storm deserves criticism. One is about the warranty. They should just come out an say there's no warranty if there is in fact not one. Whichever factory is making these bikes should have a warranty policy so Storm should know what it is. Of course warranty's can be variable depending of how much you want to cover, and pay for. It's possible they're still in the process of making these decisions, but still it would be better if they at least said something about it.

The other is the brakes. Storm stated they're hydraulic, but the video clearly shows that they're mechanical. Like Court said, that really doesn't matter, because both will work well enough, but still, why not get that right?

All this gives me the impression these guys don't really know that much about eBikes, but they know how to contact a Chinese factory and order a bunch of eBikes.

Court has more experience testing Ebikes than any other person I know of, so he has a great frame of reference. And he's usually very positive. Honestly think he was holding back from what he really thinks. Lol

If Court was overly critical (I didn't really see it that way), I agree with his assessment. This is not the Tesla of bicycles. This is more like 'the used Nissan Leaf of Bicycles' so people should understand what they are going to buy relative to what else is available in the market.

Let's not kid ourselves, this is a 350w motor married to a fat pig of a bike with huge tires. This is not going to be a mind blowing eBike experience.

I also just found out the seat is where they store the controller and it gets insanely hot, which is why none of the riders are sitting down in the promo videos ;-)

Court has more experience testing Ebikes than any other person I know of, so he has a great frame of reference. And he's usually very positive. Honestly think he was holding back from what he really thinks. Lol
I care about the space obviously and don't want to attack someone who is making an honest effort to deliver something new and special. I don't know the guys and haven't seen the bike (or the prototype... which may be very different from the final version). As @biknut pointed out, I was critical of weight and battery and indeed, normally I skim over battery but this seemed like a good education opportunity for people new to ebikes, to help explain why one may cost more than another.

At the end of the day, if the Storm ends up being delivered in one year, weighs ~70 lbs and has a true range of 15 to 25 but only costs ~$700 (including shipping) that's not terrible... but it's also not "the most affordable ebike ever" and if there's no warranty support, that's kind of a bummer.

With all of the extra money that these guys are making (hopefully, if their unit price is dropping to ~$400 and they can get each unit shipped inexpensively) these guys can actually improve aspects of the product, hire some team members to help with logistics and turn this into a win. It's too soon to say but I must admit, this piece about how Indiegogo works has me a little concerned that everyone could lose out: http://wp.josh.com/2014/01/21/read-this-before-you-contribute-to-an-indiegogo-campaign/

I also just found out the seat is where they store the controller and it gets insanely hot, which is why none of the riders are sitting down in the promo videos ;-)

Gus, how did you find this out. No one seems to be able to find out anything about this bike. Automatic seat warmer, at no extra charge LOL.

Gus, how did you find this out. No one seems to be able to find out anything about this bike. Automatic seat warmer, at no extra charge LOL.
Hehe. I actually have no idea! I just thought it was strange that every single rider in the video is standing up on the pedals, no helmet, and never pedaling.

Perhaps, this is just their marketing geniuses at work. Seat!?!? the Storm don't need no stinkin' seat.

I see no one has commented on my suggestion. To quote myself... :)

I'm very much willing to chip in to offset the cost of Court's Storm. This is clearly something he is buying to further the content of the site and help all of us who benefit from it. It would only take 20 or 30 of us chipping in $25 to cover the bike and shipping.

I could be alone in this but I'm probably not. You should have a place on the site to accept donations regardless. I can't imagine the ads pay for everything you sink into this project, even if you willing give your time free.

It's ok to throw some cold water on this thing... steel frame and no gears screams "as cheap as possible": it could be a $50 bike with $300 electrical stuff added, so they could sell them for $500 and make a little profit. Nothing wrong with that per se, except for quite a lot of disappointed buyers who expected "the Tesla of electric bikes".

Back