Sat sos on iphone 14 - but us only :(

PDoz

Apple has just announced the iphone 14 will have the ability to send emergency messages including text VIA SAT , as well as possition data AND share the message with someone who cares! So almost spot / garmin inreach capacity to call for help when putside mobile range! I got excited when reading this - right up until I noticed it's only available in the US. https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT213426

For perspective, I'm outside mobile range almost every time I ride ( rural Australia) , I've carried a plb ( small epirb ) for decades, plus used combinations of sat phone / garmin in teach when I do more remote / interesting trips. That's several thousand $ in communication equipment plus subscription / usage fees. Worth every cent, because I HAVE used it ( for others) and each time the ability to communicate our needs has saved emergency services hours plus saved the injured rider lots of pain .

This technology is getting VERY close to my gold standard - one device to track, text, detect crashes +/- call for help if I'm unconscious and out solo +/- giving those who care some idea of where to start looking if the worst case happens. AND a nice camera so I can take pretty pictures when the helicopter arrives.

My old android phone (not trying to start a competition) has had an SOS feature for a while. Press the power button quickly 3 times and it sends front and rear camera, an audio recording of what's happening when the button is pressed and the location of the phone..

I panicked my wife a couple weeks ago. She had to go into the office, and knew I was going for a ride. When I got back from the ride, for some reason, my phone decided to send her two SOS messages back to back. She called in a panic thinking something had happened. Which is funny because I joke with her that so often she doesn't answer her phone and at some point I'm going to be in a ditch bleeding to death and she won't answer her phone.

My old android phone (not trying to start a competition) has had an SOS feature for a while. Press the power button quickly 3 times and it sends front and rear camera, an audio recording of what's happening when the button is pressed and the location of the phone..

I panicked my wife a couple weeks ago. She had to go into the office, and knew I was going for a ride. When I got back from the ride, for some reason, my phone decided to send her two SOS messages back to back. She called in a panic thinking something had happened. Which is funny because I joke with her that so often she doesn't answer her phone and at some point I'm going to be in a ditch bleeding to death and she won't answer her phone.
This is a great feature but it only works in areas that have cell service. Many of us ride in remote areas that don't have coverage.

The service mentioned by @PDoz above uses satellite technology which has near global coverage.

Apple has just announced the iphone 14 will have the ability to send emergency messages including text VIA SAT , as well as possition data AND share the message with someone who cares! So almost spot / garmin inreach capacity to call for help when putside mobile range! I got excited when reading this - right up until I noticed it's only available in the US. https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT213426
give it time apple will roll it out all over after awhile.

This is a great feature but it only works in areas that have cell service. Many of us ride in remote areas that don't have coverage.

The service mentioned by @PDoz above uses satellite technology which has near global coverage.

SHOULD offer global coverage, but the rotten fruit has decided to only offer it in the US .

If this was offered in Australia I'd buy an iphone. I feel dirty typing that...Actually, I'd probably want to know what sat network they are using

give it time apple will roll it out all over after awhile.

Possibly not - the Australian network providers have different contracts with the sat communication options , so eg Telstra use iridium whilst Optus use globalstar , and the third party resellers of telstra / optus have zero sat coverage. ( I used to use my normal telstra sim in my iridium sat to avoid paying monthly contract fees)

Most expensive phones sold over here are part of a higher end contract with the network, so eg if apple are using iridium sat they would be limiting this function to phones sold via telstra. We have a brutal ACCC - govt organisation enforcing anti competition laws. I could see optus / telstra arguing this gives the competitor an unfair advantage.

If they are rely8ng on low orbit stationary sat like garmin do, they might not have the coverage yet?

This technology is getting VERY close to my gold standard - one device to track, text, detect crashes +/- call for help if I'm unconscious and out solo +/- giving those who care some idea of where to start looking if the worst case happens. AND a nice camera so I can take pretty pictures when the helicopter arrives.

and don't forget being a great bike computer! speed, navigation, and with the right sensors, power, cadence, etc etc. phone, text, web, bike computer, camera, SOS, crash detection, all in one device that you would probably need for your daily life anyway.

Back